Tank bands for Faber LP85 tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The spec sheets I've seen all claim the buoyancy includes valves. Doesn't make it true.

Guy

There are a number of inaccurate tank spec lists on the net. You would hope Blue Steel has the right info listed.

I've used this one quite a bit, but I'm not vouching for every entry. Scuba Cylinder Specification Chart from Huron Scuba, Ann Arbor Michigan

Look under the "OMS 85" this spec sheet reflects fabers OMS used to distribute.

I have a couple 85's just back from hydro, I should screw on a valve and toss one in the horse trough before I double them back up.

Tobin

There are a number of inaccurate tank spec lists on the net. You would hope Blue Steel has the right info listed.

I've used this one quite a bit, but I'm not vouching for every entry. Scuba Cylinder Specification Chart from Huron Scuba, Ann Arbor Michigan

I have a couple 85's just back from hydro, I should screw on a valve and toss one in the horse trough before I double them back up.

Tobin

Yeah, I use that one too, along with the Dive Gear Express one and the manufacturer specs when I can find them. One thing the Huron Scuba one claims is that the PST and OMS empty weights include the valves, something I've never been able to confirm. I know my OMS LP112 (made by Faber) weighs 44 lb. empty with valve and boot, vice the 41 lb. the spec sheet claimed. Assuming 1.5 lb. for each of the accessories gets me from 41 to 44. The OMS (and Faber Blue Steel) specs were different from the ones Huron gives from at least from the 2007 OMS catalog and a Faber spec sheet from the same era, as well as their current one online.

Anyone know where OMS is getting their tanks from now? They only show LP tanks, and their 85 is credited with a weight of 38.5 lb. and buoyancy of -10.0/-4.44 lb., which doesn't equate to any manufacturer's tank I'm aware of. BTW, how is it that buoyancy changes for the same quantity of gas vary so much from manufacturer to manufacturer? ISTM the gas should weigh the same, regardless.

For example, according to the specs my OMS (made by Faber) LP112s have buoyancy of -8.0/-1.0 lb., or 7.0 lb. difference in buoyancy. Yet PST or Worthington HP100s claim a buoyancy change of 7.5 lb for 12 cu. ft. less gas. What am I missing - I know the pressure's different, but if we're talking about the same number of molecules of gas, packing it into a smaller space shouldn't alter the weight.

Guy

Well, after waiting a few weeks Piranha finally got the 7" bands back in stock, so they're on the way. Now I'm just another mk25 and a wing short of having my first doubles setup and diveable. I'm hoping to order both next week, so it won't be long now! :)

Tobin

i tqlked to a faber distributor and he said that bouyancys were based on the italian valves what were 1+lbs heavier than the ie thermo's that are used in the usa. the heavier valves are used because the higher working preasures allowed in non-usa.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom