Tank Holders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jokerswild

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone have any positive or negative experience with the "suction cup type" tank holders vs. the rack mounted type? I hate the idea of drilling holes into the fiberglasss. Thanks in advance. :coffee:

Slamming through a rough inlet - how much would you want to trust suction cups keeping your tanks from coming free and maybe smashing into your legs or other casual items in your boat?
On my dive boat in Hawaii. I actually cut out part of the gunwale and epoxied-in curved tank holders. The tanks were pinned in place on the bottom by the lip of folding tank bench seats and secured on top with bungee cord loops.
I could hit any kind of sea and not have a tank remotely come loose. Plus I didn't have to deal with the Roll-Control system, of which I am just not a big fan.

cool- thanks for your input. I do have enough room on the gunwales were I can turn my fishing rodholders into some kind of tank holders. Thanks for the tip TW.

I, on the other hand, am a big fan of the Roll Control holders. I've had them on my
Boston Whaler for nine years, about 1000 dives, still going strong. If you are going to
have a boat, you are going to have to drill holes in it. That's just the way it is. Learn
to do it right (where, how) and to seal the holes.

Here's some pictures of my setup: http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/whaler/

Tom: What don't you like about Roll Control? You keep bashing them, but don't give
any specifics.

Tom, sincere question, what about Roll Control you don't like?

Chuck, same thing, those tanks don't come out of those holder in rough conditions, pounding chop?

N

Chuck-
Thanks for the ideas and great pic's of your diving set-up. Now I can confidently start re-rigging my boat to be diver friendly. I will go with the roll control setup.

Nemrod:
Chuck, same thing, those tanks don't come out of those holder in rough conditions, pounding chop?
They stay put pretty good since I've learned when
to slow down, not to keep the tanks in but for human comfort (including my own). Once
in a great while, one of the forward facing tanks will come out of the clip when I get
surprised by a wake or something, but they just do a slow roll onto the straps and stuff,
we stop, and put them back in. Note that the tanks are sitting on the deck. The
tank in side-facing clips has never come loose (that says something about the direction
of the forces on the tanks, plus its further aft.

You can always run a bungee across the front of each rig, but I've long since stopped
carrying the bungees, save one which I use for Adm. Linda's HP80 due to lack of planning
on the height of the channel (Next time, two channels about a half inch
apart vertically.

They work, they fold out the way, or get removed, for the odd non-diving weekend
(about twice a year), and I keep my thermos of hot Ghiardelli chocolate on a cup
holder in the side rack. ;-).

It's not like we boat in sheltered waters -- we dive Monterey, on the end of the longest
fetch in the world.

Ok, now understand that I don't lump Roll Control in the same category as the Pelican Tank Racks, which are worthless as far as I am concerned - solely based on my limited experience with three of them in Hawaii.
The Roll Control system has some nice atttractions - it is pretty simple to install and there are all sorts of accessories available for it - even a wine glass holder. The part of it that I just don't like are the swing-up arms. I have been on boats where the mounting track was positioned so that most bc tank bands were in the same relative position as the arms making it awkward to fit the tank in place, and more importantly, stay in place. I have seen tanks pop out of the arms - they can be secured nicely with bungee cord or nylon straps, but only if these items are there to begin with. Lotsa boats don't bother.
Roll Control has adjustable arms, but every installation I have seen had the 7.25” arms standard 80's. Large steel tanks just aren't happy wedged in there.
Also, folded down, the arms are uncomfortable to lean against. Yes they are removeable, but then you have store them.
Beside running dive charters when I lived in Hawaii, I also repaired boats. Ginning in an integral, low-profile tank retaining system just is not that hard to do, although it does require a some judicious use of some hand or power tools, probably a little glass work, and little bit of forethought.
So if they work for you - that's great. It's better than nothing and having tank missiles flying in your boat.
They're just not for me.

I have the adjustable arms and do adjust them, esp. when Kawika brings his 8" diameter
hot water heaters on board. BTW, the 7.25" only clips don't fold.

The height of the clip can be an issue-- one height isn't right for everybody's BC. That's
why I've said that if I did it over, I'd install two channels one above the other. One or
the other would be right. Since usually it's just me and Adm. Linda on board, it's
not an issue.

I absolutely agree that Pelican baskets are a waste. They are a pain with boots,
they are a major pain with a BC mounted (their cases on the other hand are GREAT).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom