Tank -> Lamp conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingEnthusiast

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone,
I have a few old Alum 80s (pre 89 and one is Luxfer) and I plan on turning the Luxfer into a lamp. I'm going to take the valve off, and then drill a hole in it and feed the powercord through the tank. I have a DIY lamp kit I bought at Home Depot from Westinghouse, and have it figured out. My only question is whether I should worry about the tank becoming an electrocution machine, and if so, what to do to ground it. Maybe this isn't the right forum for this, I don't know.
Thanks!

I have more than a few lamps that are made out of metal. None even have the earth ground connected. I would say your bigger fear should be building a wide base for it so it doesn't fall over.

I don't know anything about lamps.....

But I sooo want to see pictures of the final product :crafty:

Thanks for the reply Peter, I guess all I have to worry about is making sure the power cord is secured properly to the area where the bulb goes in (can't remember the name). It's just going to be a corner lamp, so I'll leave the original boot on it and that should help with stability. Melanie, don't worry, I'll upload when it's done :D .

The major safety concern is at the point where the wire goes through the hole in the base. If the insulation chafes through, you have trouble. I would use double insulated cord (it's usually round, and has separately insulated wires covered in a secondary insulation layer), or maybe a ferrule screwed into the hole in the tank to protect the wire. UL listed lights always have some sort of secondary insulation at this point if the wire is entering a metal enclosure.

Done!

All I did was take the valve off, drill a hole in the side near the bottom, and then put together the lamp assembly. If anybody is considering doing this, let me know on this thread and I'll post a more in-depth DIY guide.

P8230225.jpg

Pretty cool! The scuba geek inside of me is awfully jealous :cool2:

Nice work! I started reading this thinking you were modifying the tank as a body/housing for a submersible underwater torch...:rofl3:

All I did was take the valve off, drill a hole in the side near the bottom, and then put together the lamp assembly. If anybody is considering doing this, let me know on this thread and I'll post a more in-depth DIY guide.

View attachment 101812
I'd love a tutorial on this. I'm mainly interested in how you attached the light socket inside the neck of the tank.

Thanks!

Pat

Back
Top Bottom