tank position, why not like firefighters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They tried it and it did not work vey well or catch on. I still have one of the inverted strpped, plastic packs they used with the 72's, got rid of the last 72 last year. You can see them using this type of setup in the 2 nd creature of the Black Lagoon, "Revenge of the Creature" It's hard to eget to the valve or trace hoses.

Why do people worry abou this stuff? Dude, if you want to flip your tanks, and that makes you feel better, have at it. Rebreather guys wear them that way. Some even mount them sideways across their back.

Do what makes you feel good.

scubafool:
I have heard of one or two cave divers setting up their rigs this way.

But if reaching your valves with the tanks configured conventionally is too difficult, you could always get really radical and sidemount two smaller tanks.
Or.....Two larger ones :eyebrow:

Mostly I wonder if the reason we keep the tanks the way we do is that is how it has been done, and thus that is how we all learn it and keep doing it. It might be fun to try this out one of these days, get longer hoses and see how the routing would work... hmm something to do something to do ...[/QUOTE]

I agree that it is one of those it has always been done that way idea.I also think that the older steel cylinder valves were mounted on the top of the valve stems and not on the sides where they are today.Also, just to play devils advocate, because I would rather look for my valve on the lower right side of my cylinder and not the top where I normally find it,how would you fill a tank that is upside down(valve down) on the boats that are equiped with an on board compressor?Also one other thing,in a rental eviroment, you wou have to turn the tank over,atach your reg and then turn the tank over a second time to attach your bc.On an SCBA that we firefighters use,our tanks have a screw on thread attachment on the tanks or drop in clip (the new nexgen Scotts)as opposed to a din with the first and second stage already attached to the pack (bc)it makes it that much quicker to assemble and switch out.

flipping tanks upside down, and using valve cages have all been tried. there's probably lots here and on TDS in the search function...

Dive Dive Dive, Came out of the water at Vortex yesterday after work, about 18:30 as the sun was going down, only two people there, it's great during the week at that time.

pupdiver:
It would also require longer hoses and would make taking off the BC/tank awkward after the dive.

Wouldn't it be simpler to put a protective cage over the tank valve to protect it?

SO?

No it wouldn't

and not needed in "fireman" position.

Willar:
Come on guys! Think about the shape of the tank!!!

Firefighters have the valve down because their risk comes from falling objects from above. This is for the most part not the same risk for divers since the force of bumping into a rock is nothing, comparitively speaking.

SCUBA tanks are mounted valve up because it presents a less restictive face to the water! It flows thru the water easier, and there is not the risk of damage from directly above. Simple!

How can I say this? WRONG! risk comes from the heat. If big heavy things are falling on a firefighter, he's probably dead.

Flat bottom scuba tanks are a fairly recent innovation. They used to all be rounded, just like steel bottles are still. That would provide an even better flow path for the water then the current way with the reg and hoses up top.

FD

Why mess with something that works. How the heck do you take a seated postion on a boat after a dive while wearing this set up upside down without smashing your valve/ regulator?

sharkattack:
Why mess with something that works. How the heck do you take a seated postion on a boat after a dive while wearing this set up upside down without smashing your valve/ regulator?

And THAT's why valves are on top!

If the Standard way was valve down, there would be a way to protect the valve, and you would not be asking that question. instead you'd be all upset about what would happen if you stood up and hit the valve.

Back
Top Bottom