tank position, why not like firefighters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From my experience as a Volunteer Fire Fighter I have put the SCBA's on many times and we always store our tanks valve in the upright position (If our tanks are in a side compartment on the truck) so that way when we reach in to put the tanks on the tank just goes over our head and the harness is on with out any problems. But our new trucks have the seats with the tanks mounted in the seats so how the tanks are positioned does not matter in that case (by does not matter I only mean that the seat are designed to hold the tanks). However they are still valve down because that in my opion is a safer way to wear the tanks if you are entering a building.

There are several reasons that can be brought up but next time you are putting on your SCUBA gear borrow a firemans turnout suit and then put your BC and tank on. Now try putting your fire helmet on, I don't think it will work because of the valve and other stuff in the back of your head. I have been inside of many fires and I can only say that the SCBA setup has been designed that way for ease of use and again if it works "why change it"?

With that in mind you could turn your SCUBA tank upside down but my thought is that the BC's most people use are not really built with the plan of putting your tank in upside down. So with all the other arguments aside I just think it "if it works good why change it". But like PerroneFord said earlier do what makes you feel better. Although I can only imagine going against the design of the BC/Tank setup could not feel better.

Well that is my two cents worth.

CIBDiving:
And THAT's why valves are on top!

If the Standard way was valve down, there would be a way to protect the valve, and you would be asking that question. instead you'd be all upset about what would happen if you stood up and hit the valve.

Bingo, its just easier to have it pointing upright, how many muppets do you think would otherwise sit down and break their first stage? You could design a protective cage, but that just makes things more difficult.

Cheap and cheerful pointing up.

When wearing your bc and tank (in the normal postion, valve up) does the bottom of the tank always hit whatever it is that you are sitting on? If not, then why would the 1st stage hit, if you wear the tank at the same level as you would with it upwards?

It would certianly seem that the best bc to try this with would be a bp/w.

I don't know about ya'll...but I don't really sport around my bc, I put it on and get in the water, take it off when I get out....

It's quite common to see inverted twinsets over here in the UK. There's a good article with pictures here

I've never seen anybody wearing a single cylinder inverted though.

Druid:
It's quite common to see inverted twinsets over here in the UK. There's a good article with pictures here

I've never seen anybody wearing a single cylinder inverted though.

I was going to say that valve down is a solution in search of a problem. Looks like it's found the problem. The diver in the link you posted has medical problems due to motorcycle crashes and that seems to be the only way he can reach his valves. :)

Ok, but how many diver have, RIGHT HERE ON SB, said that they have trouble reaching thier valves? How many have said that they need to 'limber up' or 'stretch out' thier shoulders so they can do the drills easier and faster. Why is THAT not a perfect example of a flawed system?

So far the complaints I have read about the valves down configuration are:
-why mess with how it's always been done
-it would require longer hoses
-its just easier to have it pointing upright
-a solution in search of a problem (which is trotted out anytime someone dares to suggest a change)

the pros to doing this? It's a hell of a lot easier to reach your valves. In the words of Cousteau 'even old men and women could do it'.

FD

Blacthorn:
When wearing your bc and tank (in the normal postion, valve up) does the bottom of the tank always hit whatever it is that you are sitting on? If not, then why would the 1st stage hit, if you wear the tank at the same level as you would with it upwards?

It would certianly seem that the best bc to try this with would be a bp/w.

I don't know about you but when I'm on a boat, my whole rig is supported up by the tank in the tank rack. So as I climb into the rig, it is still resting on the tank. If I were to invert the tank, the rig would be supported by the valve/ 1st stage. I dive with a back plate and harness. Again, why mess with a system that works:confused:

Why would I invert this?
JoelWaiting.jpg

fire_diver:
the pros to doing this? It's a hell of a lot easier to reach your valves. In the words of Cousteau 'even old men and women could do it'.
FD

Frankly, I think isolating would go from difficult, to near impossible. If I were going to go to the trouble of inverting, changing all my hoses, and doing something "different", I'd just sidemount.

But hey, I say you give this a try and let us know how it works out for ya.

fire_diver:
Ok, but how many diver have, RIGHT HERE ON SB, said that they have trouble reaching thier valves? How many have said that they need to 'limber up' or 'stretch out' thier shoulders so they can do the drills easier and faster. Why is THAT not a perfect example of a flawed system?

So far the complaints I have read about the valves down configuration are:
-why mess with how it's always been done
-it would require longer hoses
-its just easier to have it pointing upright
-a solution in search of a problem (which is trotted out anytime someone dares to suggest a change)

FD

If you can not reach your valve behind you then your rig is not adjusted right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom