Tank Slippage Problem & Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mossym:
also, make sure the buckle is threaded right, if not the strap can slide back through it and loosen

Don't dismiss this little note.

I never had trouble with my tank slipping 'til after I re-threaded the strap. After it slipped, I double-checked and it was threaded incorrectly.

Then I checked my buddies strap, and sure enough, it was wrong too.

I suspect that there are a lot of divers out there with them threaded improperly.

It's not obvious by looking at a buckle how to thread it properly. If you're not sure, check it.

If your BC's manual doesn't show how to thread it, this link might help.

0 2 1 3 is your answer...

If you number the places where you have to thread the strap into, and start numbering the large ring as 0, then you should go for #2, then #1, then #3 - 0213 - not very mnemotechnic, but works.

eric

3dent:
It's not obvious by looking at a buckle how to thread it properly. If you're not sure, check it.

Remember that the cam buckle is a cam mechanism . The tank sould give a nice ring or a convincing thur when you pull the buckle over center. If it doesn't "cam over" then you might as well use the belt from your trousers.

Mis-threads are common, so are people who can't follow the threading order numbers and arrows molded into many buckles.

Pete

You could get a replacement band from Halcyon, I guarantee you that it wont slip. It has a non slip surface inside the webbing, and they lock like bank vaults. With extremely heavy duty stainless steel hardware, it will last a lifetime, and I guaranty you that it wont slip.

When I used jacket style BCs, I had a few slipages, the fix was wetting the bands before installing the tank, everytime I wetted the bands, they never sliped, when I forgot to do it, allmost everytime it sliped.

I like Rick's solution, but I may use it as a last resort.

Many Cam Band Buckles have the threading pattern clearly stamped on the profile side of the buckle, it's common to thread the bands incorrectly.

Hope this helps

I use the thingies that DSS (cool_hardware/tobin) sells, and I have not had any problems with slippage, even with the craptastic bands i use sometimes. I of course do double strap since I use a BP, but those things from DSS really do help you out, especially with the tank shrinkage on AL tanks during your dive.

Funny thing about tank slippage problems is they tend to go away with time. Not sure if that's because the strap gets all the looseness stretched out of it, or the owner learns how to tighten it, or gets in the habit of wetting it. But most tank slippage problems I see are with new BCs/straps.

I'll second the Halcyon recomendation.
3 Halcyon divers and one non Halcyon diver in this family.
Guess which one slips?

am using a seaquest spectrum 1 jacket style bc and have in fact re-threaded it tightly. i just wet the strap as before setting up with the tank. works everytime. there was one instance though that i forgot to wet it, fortunately the tank didn't slip

UB:
I recently bought a Aeris BC with a single band for strapping the tank to the BC. Several times I noticed that the tank began to slip (even though I tighten the strap as much as possible). I am to a point right now where I would like to explore other tank strapping options. Can anyone recommend a solution?

Thanks

I had the same problem with my SeaQuest BC. The tank would slip about once per 6 dives. I think others' advice works, namely wetting the strap first, and then carefully setting the cam vertical to the tank before threading thru the final slot and forcing the cam closed.

BUT I've found it's not always convenient to wet the strap, and the clamping procedure must be performed exactly if it's to hold. I considered the ScubaPro buckle, but decided that it's still a cam arrangement.

So, after a bunch of slips, I tumbled for absolute security and a different approach. I bought the Apollo Bio-Tank Lock. It uses a screw to draw opposing metal buckle faces toward each other against the added pressure of a spring. I don't have enough dives on it to say it never slips, but it sure tightens up nicely (the marketing info says it's 10x the tension of a cam strap). It's easy to tighten, too, requiring less force and precision than a standard cam buckle.

If you go this route, here's how I set mine up (the product's directions are crummy). Fully open the screw. Adjust the strap so it's just loose enough to drop down over the tank. When it's in position, twist the screw mechanism closed. Stop when the resistance spring is fully compressed. The buckle faces should now be between a quarter and a half inch apart. If they touch, something's wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom