Tank Valve Issue - Out of Air Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dD, since it's probably your tank I'm renting I have no problem with you checking the valve. Subsequent to your doing so, I will absolutely stop the pre-dive sequence and begin my own check from scratch, including the yolk/DIN connection and anything else that I feel might have been compromised. No matter what, I'm the last one to check my equipment. No exceptions. I have held things up a time or two, gotten people annoyed. That's OK.

I have found some very good ops that insist on checking your tank valve(s) when you step up to the gate. While some might object, I don't really mind that. I takes just a couple more seconds for me to pick up my SPG and take a strong breath to make my final check.

I think they catch a lot more divers about to jump with their valve off than those who refuse to let them do that and end up not diving.

One of the basic things I teach my students is to watch their SPG while pre-breathing their reg on the surface. If the valve is barely open, the needle will swing wildly as they do this. Of course, it also catches those completely off valves as well. :D

However, if I have tech gear, which I usually do, I don't want anyone touching my air. I have two HP 130s that are a right and left tank for when I side mount. I also use them for single back mounted diving and on one dive, the DM checked my left side valve and inadvertently turned it off. I had already pre-breathed the reg while sitting, so I was not prepared to get only a breath and a half of air as I was plummeting to the depths during a hot drop on a wreck. I made sure that he and I had a bit of a discussion when I surfaced, and had him figure out which "lefty loosey" he needed to use when the tank valve was pointed away from him.

I have found some very good ops that insist on checking your tank valve(s) when you step up to the gate. While some might object, I don't really mind that. I takes just a couple more seconds for me to pick up my SPG and take a strong breath to make my final check.

I think they catch a lot more divers about to jump with their valve off than those who refuse to let them do that and end up not diving.

it blows my damn mind, but at least 60% of the divers I'm putting in the water never even think about turning on or checking their air
before jumping in.

"all set?"
"yup, I think so!"
"would you like your air turned on for this dive, or are you saving it all for the next one?"
"oh, thanks!"

sad part is, they do the same thing the next dive, and we have the exact same conversation.
one of the main reasons why we don't allow divers to stand up with gear on unassisted is so we can make that last check before they enter. it's always the sneaky buggers that slip through the cracks that end up swimming over to the DM on the surface and ask politely if they could turn on their air.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=17.744593,-64.705750

One of the basic things I teach my students is to watch their SPG while pre-breathing their reg on the surface. If the valve is barely open, the needle will swing wildly as they do this. Of course, it also catches those completely off valves as well. :D

However, if I have tech gear, which I usually do, I don't want anyone touching my air. I have two HP 130s that are a right and left tank for when I side mount. I also use them for single back mounted diving and on one dive, the DM checked my left side valve and inadvertently turned it off. I had already pre-breathed the reg while sitting, so I was not prepared to get only a breath and a half of air as I was plummeting to the depths during a hot drop on a wreck. I made sure that he and I had a bit of a discussion when I surfaced, and had him figure out which "lefty loosey" he needed to use when the tank valve was pointed away from him.

With my protocol, he would have found that he thought your valve was off, returned it to the position he found it and notify you that he thought there was a problem..

I love the ''are you saving it all for the next one" sarcasm. I don't envy you or anyone in the industry having to deal with the two digit IQ brain dead 'divers' I see at the warm water resorts where I do most of my diving these days. I only have to listen to their idiocy for a brief time, to their frightening questions, to their astounding stupidity and ignorant assumptions. Some of them have beautiful log books, though.

One of the first things you learn as a rescue diver is to: Protect Yourself! Turning the valves back on is a big step toward that objective.

Apparently none of your studies have included accepting responsibility for your actions.

I may be off base here but I monitor my air constantly. I would know if something was wonky such as rapid consumption etc. Just curious if you looked at your gauges up until this point? I must say you handled like a champ though!!

Hi Oz - yes, I do monitor my air very regularly - as soon as I hit the cool ocean I check on my air level (and always notice the slight drop in pressure as the water cools the tank, which invariably has been sitting in an ambient 33-36deg C , or in direct sunlight en-route to the divesite). Oh the joy of living in the tropics :) There was absolutely no indication for 30 minutes of any issue...thats what puzzled me - such a sudden onset of a problem.

Kiernetec - Its the same here in Malaysia - lots of weekend divers who let the boatman put their gear together, slip them into their BC and haul them overboard. Personally I *almost always* assemble and set up my own gear, as well as change my own tanks. Sadly, some resorts are just *too* helpful and almost stop you touching your own gear.The pre-dive valve/gear check (which should be a buddy check too) has now gone from 999 times to 1000/1000 times in my case. I simply dont want to die for the sake of an extra 60 seconds checking. :-/

I've converted all three of my tanks to the safety color indicator valve. XS Scuba makes them and Vindicator sell conversion kits:

Vindicator Valve Handle

This is such a big problem in dive accidents that it's really worth while converting the valve handles. You can see at a glance if the valve is fully open or not. Nevertheless I still breathe from each regulator and look for the swinging SPG needle before diving.

There's actually good reasons for backing off of full open 1/4 turn. Many industries do this. Just don't do it with a 1/4 turn valve! :D

Reason 1 - many valves can get stuck, i.e., they don't have a back seat, and as temperature / pressure changes, the valve can get stuck in the open position.

Reason 2 - when you check a valve open, having the 1/4 turn provides a positive indication that the valve is open. If you check the valve open and it's actually stuck closed, you'll think it's full open and go. 1/4 turn provides no restriction to flow through the valve. Though there are other checks that can detect a stuck closed valve, especially in single tank dives ... like no air ... but if your boat crew checked the valve for you on the way in and actually closed it ...

Very rare situations for which the 1/4 turn from full open has a potential safety impact but I'd rather the odds continue to be stacked in my favor whenever I dive.

Just some input from a novice diver but an experienced engineer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom