Tanzania or Mozambique or South Africa?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sodwana Bay and Aliwal Shoal are both very different but both world class dive sites. I personally prefer Aliwal as it has two wrecks that are great dives; we have the Raggies resident on the reef until December. The great thing with them is that they tend to be in shallow waters (most sites are shallower than 60ft) and you can get really close to them if you want to. There are also the Baited Shark Dives which are fantastic and film crews from around the world have come to take video at Aliwal. Besides that there is just really good diving all around. Have a look at Agulhas House - Umkomaas Accomodation | Aliwal Shoal | Scuba Diving | PADI Dive Courses on there you will find some info on the reef and there is a gallery of some of the things you can see. Whale sharks are only really seen in the summer months and only if the inshore waters are clean.

Sodwana is more of a coral area and the diving is easier. It’s a great place to visit and the diving is very good. Contact info@amoraydiving.com for some information with them.

Protea Banks is definately more of an advanced dive spot. What I suggest for divers to do is stay in Umkomaas (Aliwal) and from there do a day trip down to Protea if the diving conditions are good and they want to go. In the right season the diving there is mind blowing for sharks. Only problem is that the reef is deep (30m/ 100 ft) at the shallowest point and so much of your dive time is spent in the mid water.

On Tonga Beach (I have never been) but I have been told that Rock Tail Bay is better in terms of service and experience. I am sure it is more expensive but apparently worth it.

Personally what I would do is complete the entire classroom and pool work (PADI Course) in Canada and just come over to do the dives. Dependant on the length of trip you are looking to do maybe take in both Aliwal and Sodwana and some game reserves along the way. There are a number of different tours you can take to self drive tours to guided ones as well.

If you want come back with more ideas on what you would like to do and I can give you some suggestions and contact numbers.

Thanks for all the info, my wife is doing just what you suggested, she signed up for PADI referral course so pool and classroom will be done here in Canada and then she will only have to do her open water certification dives when we arrive. I think the plan now is after Rwanda and our Tanzania northern circuit sarafi we will go to Zanzibar for 4-5 days where she will complete her padi certification. It seems like a really nice place with beautiful sandy beaches and clear calm waters for her to do her dives. Then afterwards we will fly to Johannesburg for two days, then hire a car and drive to Durban via Drakensberg. Spend 3 days at Aliwal Shoal diving, I may go do the baited tiger shark dive (she obviously won't) while we're there and then we'll spend the next week driving to Cape Town spending most of our time exploring the wild coast along the way, and spend 3 days in Cape Town before heading home (Gansbaai cage diving, Hermanus whale watching, etc).

At this point we have the choice of doing the trip starting October 5th which means we'd get to Zanzibar around the 20th and Aliwal at the end of October. Or we have the option of travelling in November instead of October. I know the chances of Tiger sharks are higher during November because the waters are warmer, but then the chances of great white sharks in Gansbaai are lower.. other than that I don't know how the one month difference will effect other aspects of the trip or diving conditions/sea life, does anyone know if October or November would be a better month to travel? Thanks!

Yes the chances of seeing Tigers is slightly higher in November but the diving conditions are pretty much the same at The Aliwal Shoal for both months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom