Taxi From Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you have to be pretty old to remember who that was. They did a concert in San Diego when I was in college, admission was a donated can of food.
Well, yes, I have some years behind me but they are still touring; see Blue Öyster Cult Tour Dates, although I don't know how many of the original members are still with them.

I saw them several times back in the 1970s and 1980s; they were phenomenal in those days. I even got to see their laser show that some gov't agency shut down to make them stop shining the lasers into the crowd. Killjoys. :D You've seen white lights on a mirror ball, right? You oughta see one lit with lasers; it looks like a sea urchin with spines that extend to the walls, ceiling, and floor.

More cowbell!

I think you have to be pretty old to remember who that was. They did a concert in San Diego when I was in college, admission was a donated can of food.

BÖC
View attachment 819418

@morecowbells
I don't know why I made it plural and put an 's' at the end. College in in San Diego sounds terrible....

The cab driver that drove me from the circle outside the airport to El Centro didn't seem happy that before I loaded my bags I said I'll pay 100 Pesos for the ride. Apparently they are getting significantly more from unwary customers.

I suspect they want the same $12 that the airport vans are getting.
Where did you go? Downtown probably close to 100% tip. Not that the few time I used them, I got the right fare.... :wink:

last month I flagged a taxi down on Melgar across from El Cantile for a ride up the street to Guido's. At the other end the driver demanded $150 peso's. I called BS and told him to show me his rate card and he got upset. He could no longer understand me at the mention of rate card so I handed him $50 (which was about 2/3rds over the official rate) and told him to call a cop and went inside. He was still loudly complaining as I went in.
Tourists consistently over paying on Taxi's has become like catering to an extortionist, they always come back and demand more, they come to expect it and get upset when they don't get it.
Several nights later friends who were staying at El Cantile went through the same crap going to La Mission next to the square with another driver. This is becoming the norm, Uber would be good for the island.

last month I flagged a taxi down on Melgar across from El Cantile for a ride up the street to Guido's. At the other end the driver demanded $150 peso's. I called BS and told him to show me his rate card and he got upset. He could no longer understand me at the mention of rate card so I handed him $50 (which was about 2/3rds over the official rate) and told him to call a cop and went inside. He was still loudly complaining as I went in.
Tourists consistently over paying on Taxi's has become like catering to an extortionist, they always come back and demand more, they come to expect it and get upset when they don't get it.
Several nights later friends who were staying at El Cantile went through the same crap going to La Mission next to the square with another driver. This is becoming the norm, Uber would be good for the island.
Last month I got a taxi from Hotel B (Zona 2 Norte) to Fonatur -- the 5th day in a row I made that trip.

The driver demanded 250 pesos -- which I think is 60 over the rate card (unless Marina Fonatur is in zone Sur 4, not Sur 3) and 50 more than the previous 6 (7?) trips that week.

I handed him 200, which he threw at me, and he then threatened to call the police, getting on his radio to the dispatcher.

I just kept saying I wanted to see the rate card -- if I was wrong about the charge I certainly would have paid the 250.

A second cab pulled up, and after some discussion (too fast for me to follow completely), the second driver also said the fee was 250, but also would not show me the rate card.

After a couple more minutes of back-and-forth, including the driver telling me that the published rates had just gone up, the driver took the 200 and left without more complaint.

Last month I got a taxi from Hotel B (Zona 2 Norte) to Fonatur -- the 5th day in a row I made that trip.

The driver demanded 250 pesos -- which I think is 60 over the rate card (unless Marina Fonatur is in zone Sur 4, not Sur 3) and 50 more than the previous 6 (7?) trips that week.

I handed him 200, which he threw at me, and he then threatened to call the police, getting on his radio to the dispatcher.
I assume that this happened at the end of the trip when you didn't have as much leverage as you would have had at the beginning, but it was an empty threat. Fine, call them. I'll wait. Or pay the extra couple of bucks and get on with my life.

Maybe I would have picked up and pocketed the 200 pesos he threw back at me, shrugged, and walked away. :D

Back
Top Bottom