TDI Cave course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why wouldn't they be able to take another cave course and pass if they failed the first time. As long as the next time they meet the requirements, that should be what counts.

Josh

Originally posted by Divesherpa
If someone fails a cave course, should they be able to take another cave course?
Of course they should. A "course" is designed for the average student. Some students require more instruction/practice/study than others to master the requisite skills. As long as the standards are maintained, and as long as the student is willing to keep trying and paying, there's no limit to how much instruction in pursuit of the qualification they can buy.
Rick

TDI requires you to be certified as Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures before you take a cave course. This allows a student to learn gas management, decompression diving and use of double cylinders before doing all this in a cave.

i'm all for that. I still can't reason out why Intro is done in singles. Does anyone have a good reason for this?

Originally posted by Divesherpa
i'm all for that. I still can't reason out why Intro is done in singles. Does anyone have a good reason for this?
The standard was set years ago, when manifolded doubles weren't readily available. I suspect it's more of a carryover than any huge training consideration.
Rick

I though it was done in singles because it allowed people who didn't want to go "all the way" do to some basic cave diving.

Josh

You are either in a cave!! Or you're not!!

If you are cave training - doubles all the way. It never made any sense to me why you dove a single for cavern and then doubles for intro and full.

Eric

Generally speaking (and I know there are probably exceptions to this) anyone who is a TDI cave instructor will also be affiliated with another agency such as NSS or NACD. Any Serious Cave instructor would be anyway.... (don't jump me TDI guys, I mean no disrespect to TDI but they aren't the "cave agency")

What I would do to find an instructor is find someone who dives caves on his own not just for classes. Find someone who is actively doing exploration and can teach you more of the real world cave diving and give you a better experience than just a c-card.

Just one cave divers opinion.

Interesting stuff on the use of doubles from the word go.

I'm looking at doing a cave diving course soon and the instructor I contacted suggested that I use a single. This suggestion was based on the fact that I dodn't already dive/own doubles and I'm unsure about what wing arrangement to use, therefore I'd be better off doing the course with a single so that they can advise me on equipment purchase once they've observed me in the water.

There seems to be some sense in this as theres not one configuration for everyone (size of cylinders for starters).

Opinions please - Dave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom