TDI Cave course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel that cavern is an intro to overhead class and that singles have no place(emphasis)-NO PLACE- in overhead environment. The only exceptions that I will concede are cavern(Y or preferably H valve), and artificial reefs(with proper buddy contact.

I saw the most apalling thing in a cave that I have yet to see at Ginnie on Easter Weekend. A H-valve solo diver swam by me about 300 feet back and didn't even see that I was there. He swam right into the gentleman I was diving with.
I'm all for being liberal, but episodes like this are not safe.
One malfunction and this guy is a body recovery.

Cheers

Divesherpa, even if the person you mention was diving doubles, his attitude in the water would not have changed. He still would have hit your partner.

I asked someone before why some intro classes were not taught in doubles. I was told that it was because of the fact that with an intro certification you are only certified to dive the mainline without any jumps, and no decompression diving. You simply did not need doubles for the type of cave diving to which you were limited. Also, I was told that most people starting intro do not have any experience in diving with doubles, and that the Intro class, and being back in a cave, were not the place to test new equipment configurations. Both of these make some sense to me.

I just took the NSS CDS Intro course, and would have liked to have used doubles. However, the course requirements were for singles. I never asked my instructor about this. Maybe I should have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom