Tec Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you ought to meet up with Scott. A knowledgeable mentor can save you time and money, and is worth more than all the internet board advice you'll read here or anywhere else.

That said, go back and re-read what Joel said. Think he nailed it. You're going to eventually dump the BC when the time comes for technical instruction.

Dive safe.

http://divevets.com/MESSAGE/00000167.htm
Also, most tech divers I know wear drysuits and don't use a computer. Depending on where you will be doing most of your diving, a wetsuit would be OK with aluminum tanks. If most of your diving will be North Coast, lakes or Monterey, I wouldn't spend the money on a wetsuit.

stoiclown:
I appreciate everybodies replies but so far I haven't heard to much about my questions, please any advice would be appreciated.

...as I slowly build up my Equipment, what Regs, Maniflods, Computers, Tanks, Etc. should I start investing in. I don't want to buy equipment & have to dump it later because it doesn't meet my needs for the future.
Since you threw in the "Etc." I think the recommendations you've been getting do address the question. That aside, I recommend getting APEX DS4/TX50 regs, a manifold with an isolation valve (when you decide to double up your tanks, but I'd worry about that after you get used to diving singles with a BP/wing rig), forget the computer and get a good bottom timer, and get steel tanks that suit the dives you'll be doing.

MSilvia:
Since you threw in the "Etc." I think the recommendations you've been getting do address the question. That aside, I recommend getting APEX DS4/TX50 regs, a manifold with an isolation valve (when you decide to double up your tanks, but I'd worry about that after you get used to diving singles with a BP/wing rig), forget the computer and get a good bottom timer, and get steel tanks that suit the dives you'll be doing.

Thanks Your right, sorry guys next time I will try to be more specific.

I agree with what Matt said, don't buy a computer and get yourself a good bottom timer. I bought a Computer a few years ago thinking that it would grow with my diving when I moved into the technical realm to make my life easier. I ended up using it for one dive and trading it for a new 55# Explorer wing for my doubles. Now that I've progressed into the technical realm of diving I couldn't see complicating things with a dive computer since this stuff is so easy without one.

The other thing to realise is that Tec equipment just isn't cheap, what you spend on your single tank setup will be a small fraction of even a basic tec rig.

Having said that you don't have to throw away if you plan ahead, as mentioned above buy high quality regulator like the Apeks, buy a good drysuit that actually fits, buy a BP&wing instead of a regular BC, buy a bottom timer instead of a computer.

But you will be paying a premium to buy stuff now that you will be able to use for tec later.

I'm not sure it's not a better idea to get some stuff now, dive and enjoy it, and then buy the expensive tec ready stuff when you know exactly what you want.

I would but the drysuit ASAP if your diving CA waters, and I'd spend the extra and get a good quality custom fit suit. It makes every dive more enjoyable.

Ask some of the more experienced tec diver around here how many regs they own, or how many drysuits, or how many cylinders, you'll be stunned at the amount of equipment these people amass.

I´d go for a "proper" longhose setup (DIR section people will be more then happy to explain/help you with that) as soon as possible. I found I had an easier time with airshares and such during my PADI rescue course and of course in the real-world situations the drills simulate...

Maybe you thought it was to small a piece of kit to mention but some kind (preferably 2) of cutting tools, regardless of what/where/how you dive...I got stuck on a wreck once and since then I´m a bit anal about cutting tools...

I also agree with what others said about drysuit and BP/W...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom