Tec Side Mount - Need help selecting gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the op I would suggest you figure out who you are going to be training with and ask their opinion. Generally instructors have a personal opinion and are more familiar with one system over the others. This could be for any number of reasons with some being they are sponsored by a certain company, are involved with the product or like the Hollis rigs have a bigger margin than many other brands so they push that even though there are much better options. One rig will never suit all your needs if you are going to travel and dive in multiple environments. My advice would be to buy used if money is a concern.

That's too bad because Andrew COMPLETELY redesigned the Z manifold through constant innovation and refinement of their products. Maybe if you weren't blown away by the first wave of innovation the second time around will have you sold...AND THEN you will be thinking about having all that connected behind your back instead.

If I wear my watch on my ankle..... am I innovative?

What happens when people don't conceive how to make use of the intrinsic capabilities of a basic system...

hat_fail-jpg.36195

Last edited:
If I wear my watch on my ankle..... am I innovative?

What happens when people don't conceive how to make use of the intrinsic capabilities of a basic system...

hat_fail-jpg.36195
Have you seen the new and improved Z manifold system? The thought that went into it probably kept the engineering department on their toes for an unfathomable amount of time. It makes the original Z manifold pale in comparison.

The thought that went into it probably kept the engineering department on their toes for an unfathomable amount of time.

As is commonly the case, when the underlying premise is deeply flawed from the outset...

If I want an apple, I eat an apple. I don't try to turn an orange into an apple.

Diving sidemount is very easy and simple....

homemade sidemount bcd tyre.JPG

Diving sidemount as if it were backmount... that's very hard.

utd junk.jpg

All that is required is a simple acceptance that sidemount is different to backmount. That different principles and protocols must apply.

Then things get very easy again.... and the engineers don't have spend an unfathomable amount of time chasing a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.... except though inflexible dogma.

Is it coincidence that the only people struggling with sidemount design are those agencies with dogmatic and singular approaches?

Isn't it significant that the engineers are having such a hard time making a concept work?

At what point does that design difficulty become recognized as originating from the underlying flaw in concept...

Can I have my apple-flavored orange now?

Last edited:
As is commonly the case, when the underlying premise is deeply flawed from the outset...

If I want an apple, I eat an apple. I don't try to turn an orange into an apple.

Diving sidemount is very easy and simple....

View attachment 381361

Diving sidemount as if it were backmount... that's very hard.

View attachment 381362

All that is required is a simple acceptance that sidemount is different to backmount. That different principles and protocols must apply.

Then things get very easy again.... and the engineers don't have spend an unfathomable amount of time chasing a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.... except though inflexible dogma.

Is it coincidence that the only people struggling with sidemount design are those agencies with dogmatic and singular approaches?

Isn't it significant that the engineers are having such a hard time making a concept work?

At what point does that design difficulty become recognized as originating from the underlying flaw in concept...

Can I have my apple-flavored orange now?
Sadly, I don't believe you have watched the second video to see how truly revolutionary the new incarnation of the Z manifold is. How anyone could argue their cutting edge version #2 is anything less than a godsend is beyond me. I encourage you the watch the video and make up your mind for yourself.

Pssstt.... Kool-Aid doesn't come in Apple flavored orange.

Sidemount didn't come with manifolds either... but never say never.. :)

UTD Z-Apple Flavored Orange Kool Aid.

$800,000 to painstakingly develop... only costs $800 a liter.

It doesn't taste nice, but you have to drink it on UTD courses. Once you've bought it, you'll feel compelled to justify it to everyone, everywhere, all the time....

Last edited:
Sidemount didn't come with manifolds either... but never say never.. :)

UTD Z-Apple Flavored Orange Kool Aid.

$800,000 to painstakingly develop... only costs $800 a liter.

It doesn't taste nice, but you have to drink it on UTD courses. Once you've bought it, you'll feel compelled to justify it to everyone, everywhere, all the time....
Do they have a headphone jack?

South African. Aussies aren't frenetic.

Really? I assumed he was Greek-Australian. Oops. Shame on my ears. Anyway, Aussies aren't frenetic as a whole, but.... Steve Irwin. And let's not forget Jacko. Or maybe let's.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom