Tech Dive Coputer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m glad to see that there are some divers who do not go blindfolded after some guru.
Today, hen we have the technology, i believe there is no reason not to adopt it and gain it’s advantages Nobody is talking about throwing away the traditional way but finding a better solution to the disadvantages of the traditional table.
When a new development comes out there will be always ones who will adopt it and others that will reject it. Its normal, this is the way of the human race.

I would like to bring a quote from GUE's site

"Man's mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimension.."-Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Think about it...

regards
Mark
:puter:

tyrell once bubbled...
I’m glad to see that there are some divers who do not go blindfolded after some guru.
Today, hen we have the technology, i believe there is no reason not to adopt it and gain it’s advantages Nobody is talking about throwing away the traditional way but finding a better solution to the disadvantages of the traditional table.
When a new development comes out there will be always ones who will adopt it and others that will reject it. Its normal, this is the way of the human race.

I would like to bring a quote from GUE's site

"Man's mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimension.."-Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Think about it...

regards
Mark
:puter:

Mark,

Other than you, who mentioned GUE? If you've got a problem with George Irvine and his delivery methods, then stand in line. But George isn't GUE. He's project director of WKPP, and nothing else. On the other hand, he's doing stuff with his team that only others dream about. And people are taking notice because it's working. Myself, I like to follow something that is working, not the one who just talks about it.

Mr. Holmes's quote above is quit succinct. If you use your computer to tell you when to stop, when to ascend, when to switch gases, etc-how can your mind expand? It's doing everything for you. You rely blindly on it, and when it stops working, so do you....

I've thought about it....and my eyes are wide open.

Jack

Oh yeah, I am GUE trained. Actually took classes.

AquaTec once bubbled...
i will give a little example. last week i was in the Caymans we planned a dive to the Donut off of the turttle farm. our guide uses tables she planned for 240 feet.

Hey AT,

I was just there also. Aug 29-Sept10. We did several dives off of Turtle Reef and a few off of Cobalt Coast. Who did you dive with? Nancy? Didnt get to see your depths because we were diving air and Nitrox to recreational limits. In fact, finished up my advanced nitrox while we were there. Trimix is next... Had some fantastic diving nonetheless.

hi tyrell,
before starting my tek course, I by accident heard about VR3 http://www.vr3.co.uk. From then on, I have read a lot about it and I am almost sure that it will replace my Aladin Pro nitrox, as soon as I can afford it.
BTW, I don't want to write about VR3 here too much, since you can find a lot of info about it on the web, including here.
Meduza is bringing it to Israel.

sasha

I use a Vyper on gauge mode and V-Planner. Once you know how deco works for you, you can figure it out in your sleep. It helps to use standard gasses and standard profiles.

I agree with UP.

Mike

I'm using software and wearing a computer. The computer is usally used as a gauge and timer. If I'm diving nitrox I can also use the computer for a possible bailout or sanity check. The computer is no help at all on trimix dives. Increasingly my "deeper" dives are on trimix, even my 130's.

Caves definatly present some planning challanges without a computer. It is only practicle to run and carry so many tables on a dive. Planning a square profile in some caves will result in doing deco ALL day if you don't plan a multilevel dive. unfortunatly this is hard to do if you have no (or little) prior knowlege about the cave, which is what we are all looking for.

For instance, I have been diving Roubidoux in Missouri. The cave stays between 40 ft and 50 ft untill you get a couple hundred feet in and then drops to 140+. It stays between 140 and 160 for a while and then dips below 200. How long it takes to get to the drop depends on alot of things the biggest being flow. Once you do get past the drop there are lots of nooks and crannies to go look at. I can and do use software to plan this dive multilevel but it really limits the flexibility unless I carry many sets of tables. If I had a trimix computer I would still run the tables but I would have another tool and more flexability. For a dive like this we're not talking about a 25 min 160 or 170, I can do those in my head for the mixes I usually dive because I have run them so many times. In this case we would be talking about much longer bottom times and much longer deco.

I am aware of prifiling and for some dives might be comfortable using it to invent a way home but for long mix dives you won't have tables to calculate your profile.

On the other hand, we have been doing progressively longer dives in this cave. We cut some tables with variations then penetrate a ways and see what the cave looks like. The next time we plan a longer dive using the knowlege gained from the last dive. Some would argue that progressive penetration is the way to go anyway but...the guys with computers go further faster the me.

For tech dives you can't really follow a computer blindly as you may be suprised to find out that you don't have enough gas to deco or that you will freeze while doing the deco. You still need to plan for lost gas and so on.

The problem I have with the Nitek3 is that I don't like the deco it gives (no deep stops) and no trimix. The vr3 may solve those problems.

If I ever decide to spend the money to get a vr3, I will use it in conjunction with my dive planning software and my knowlege of decompression theory not instead of it.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
If I ever decide to spend the money to get a vr3, I will use it in conjunction with my dive planning software and my knowlege of decompression theory not instead of it.

there is no other way to use any computer, just add to that gas management, and a VR3 will become a great friend

I know I am not a tech diver yet. I am still in taking the training as we speak. I have an advanced nitrox class that I am finishing up over thanksgiving, and probably a DIRF over christmas. I used to use a computer to plan all my diving. I figured the technology was sound and safe. One dive my computer did some funky things, like reading the depth wrong, wrong tempatures, and other wierd stuff. I thought that was a fluke so I put it in the back of my mind.

After talking to my instructors and proficient tech divers, I realized how much I wasted on the computer. I dive tables and do the calculations my self. I still carry a computer with me, since I spent the money, it makes a good bottom timer and depth gauge. I hardly go off the computer unless I am just jumping into the river to look for artifacts, or a bunch of multilevel repeatitive dives like in the keys. If I do any diving over 60 feet I use the computer between my ears, and what I can print out using GAP, Vplanner, or tables.

After reviewing the advanced nitrox book several times, I am sure glad that I can do those calculations without the aid of a computer.

This is just my 2 cents, but take it for what it is worth. I am not a tech diver, but I have been doing my research.
Adam

I dive with both tables and at least 2 dive computers both of which are trimix and ccr capable, a third (which is usually in my drysuit pocket is ccr capable).

I plan most of my dives with tables and don't exceed them, The computers generally confirm my profiles.. The computers are invaluable if you have to bail out from planned dives.. I plan my contingency situations but computers that can be programmed with everyones gasses gives much added flexibility..

I usually dive ccr so I build tables based on the bailout I carry, if there are other gasses available to me I could switch to them if they are better suited instead of blindly following my tables.. I have also had deco gas failures on OC.. Instead of having to exchange one of my regs underwater (to stay on my tables), I merely stayed on my current gas (and did lost gas bailout) until by buddy was finished with his gas and used it.. Sure got me out of the water quicker.. (a hypoxic trimix is not very good for decompressing!)

The only time I dive my computers is when I am exploring and not sure what I am going to do.. I'll build a few tables based on estimates(so I know what my maximum bailout requirements are), but will pretty much follow my computers since the likelyhood of 2 or 3 computers failing is not very likely..
With my upcomming INFINITO CCR it will have built in decompression (as will the hammerhead for the inspiration) also so its even less likely...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom