Tech help down to 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll agree with AJ here, even though I dive Apeks. That said, on your list I'd go with the M1.

To throw another setup in the mix, I'd consider the MK25/S600 before the MK25/A700.....just food for thought.

Safe dives,

Cyp

I'll agree with AJ here, even though I dive Apeks. That said, on your list I'd go with the M1.

To throw another setup in the mix, I'd consider the MK25/S600 before the MK25/A700.....just food for thought.

Safe dives,

Cyp

I did think about MK25/600 and Halcyon regs. Just not crazy about how big they are and the weight....but like I was saying the deal on the A700 was insaine....Not all that crazy about SP .I know that Hacyon is SP. If I'm not mistaken.
They are like a Honda vs Ferrari. They will all get you there ....IDK maybe I'm just over thinking.:confused:

I'm more and more looking at the M1 and the XStream.

Thanx

If your dive count is accurate, you don't know what you don't know yet. The depth at which they perform well is the key. Most all regs are good to 100fsw. at 180 the list gets smaller, and plus 180 even smaller. Buying gear good to 180fsw at 25-49 dives is a lot of speculation IMHO and your wallet would be alot lighter for it.
Eric

maybe I'm just over thinking.:confused:

I'm more and more looking at the M1 and the XStream.

Yes, you are overthinking it. You want to use them for tech diving? Check what your buddies are using and/or ask your tech instructor. If you are not there yet (at <50 dives), toss a coin and don't look at reg reviews for the next few years. You will be happy with every reg you listed.

One of the things about bigger second stages is that they are easier to find and manipulate with heavy gloves, in low vis, and when you are needing to identify a reg by feel. As for weight that's kinda funny as the bigger seconds don't weigh much in the water and when you have a hundred pounds of doubles on your back, another 50 - 100 under your arm depending on how many stages you are carrying, another 20 in lead or more to sink the drysuit, and perhaps another 20 or so in accessories a few ounces more on the second stage is not going to make that much difference. Hopefully you'll just stand up and fall over the side or off the back of the boat. And when you have that much gear to go over before the dive you want simple, rugged, reliable, and for me - easily serviced in the field. Expensive does not necessarily mean it is all those. I want support for my gear that allows me to fix most issues without having to go through hoops for parts or that does not require much in the way of tools, especially dedicated ones, when I'm out on a boat or at a dive site with no shop there. Anything that does is something that could ruin a very expensive trip quite easily.
Tech dives may done where the only real repair facility you have is what you carry with you.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Hogs are cheap, breath well, route nicely for doubles or sidemount, come ready for O2 service, and parts and service classes are readily available. What's not to like?

They breathe well for the price point. That doesn't meant they breathe as well as the regs he's looking at. It seems nowadays you talk about a reg and somebody always brings up HOG. but there's quite a few of us that bought them and had nothing but issues or think they're junk due to the cheapness of build quality.

My horrible experience were two piston regs from hog that couldn't keep ip pressure from climbing and the plastic cover on the back would shoot off like a bullet nytime they were pressurized. When opened up one of the regs had missing Orings. The other we couldn't see any issue. The Orings were replaced and both regs continued to do it. They were very quickly sent back to the shop they were purchased from and I will avoid anything HOG from now o. There are other people with similar issues. They just keep quiet just like I have because you get persecuted for any bad talk about HOG

I saw one HOG reg that would chew up the Oring between the DIN and the body, for whatever reason. Dude replaced 3 orings in 2 days.

Personally, I dont have the time or desire to bother with that kind of stuff, so I stick to what I know works. Buy it nice or buy it twice!

Another thing to consider about the Poseidons is that they require special hoses. Tough to find if you're far from a poseidon dealer.

Go with the M1, I got mine in 2002 and still breathing like a champ. Real nice thing is that look as good as the day I bought it, well a few scratches in the second stage, but still shiny. I have never had to field repair it, but if I did the basics are easy enough. Funny, I do not see the Atomic or ScubaPro divers tinkering with their regs at the dive sit, I have seen a HOG diver or two though.

One of the things you are paying for with Atomic, ScubaPro, etc., is longevity. Which for me is valuable. I want to know my reg is good today and next year and the year after that. What I am seeing in the field is the less expensive brands lose the chrome in short order, have inconsistency with builds and repair kits.

I saw one HOG reg that would chew up the Oring between the DIN and the body, for whatever reason. Dude replaced 3 orings in 2 days.

Personally, I dont have the time or desire to bother with that kind of stuff, so I stick to what I know works. Buy it nice or buy it twice!

Another thing to consider about the Poseidons is that they require special hoses. Tough to find if you're far from a poseidon dealer.

That is not true about the hoses any more...the new ones at least.

How is the diving in china?

We the wife and I really want go to China....Not so much for diving but for the culture and the FOOD

Thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom