Technical Sherwood Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

strider

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was just wondering if the internals of older sherwood regs, the last 10 years, are the same as their modern counterparts? I know my Maximus rebuild kit is used on some older models, but I was wondering if I bought a couple older BRUT and Magnum reg sets if I would be able to get them serviced easily.
I need a couple extra sets for stage and sling tanks and would like to keep all my basic gear sherwood since I will be taking the sherwood class in the next several months.
Thanks,
Justin

I just had my Sherwood Classic II/HTR serviced. The service report shows that a Magnum service kit #4000-15 was fitted to the primary, the octo uses kit #4000-9.

hth

Sherwood makes a real effort to be sure that prior models can be serviced with the same kit as the newest models. There are a few elements which have changed over time (flow control element and piston have had some changes) but those parts aren't generally replced in a full service.

Drew Sailbum once bubbled...
Sherwood makes a real effort to be sure that prior models can be serviced with the same kit as the newest models. There are a few elements which have changed over time (flow control element and piston have had some changes) but those parts aren't generally replced in a full service.

Sherwood had been making regulator longer than any other scuba manufactuer....of course it wasn't always for SCUBA.....factories, etc. etc. etc...... Sherwood is the best ....hands down......Have a great holiday season

Parts for Sherwood regs old and new are still available with only a few exceptions.

The only problem/expense that older sherwood regs are prone to over new models is if the flow control element is contaminated and needs to be replaced. (Also much older regs did not have replaceable HP seats so the piston needs to be replaced with a newer one that does)

As you probably know Sherwood regs always have that steady stream of bubbles that come out of the first stage which allows this type of piston regulator to remain sealed from the water but still adjust to the ambiant water pressure as you go deeper. ( BTW-This dry bleed feature should be checked regularly as it is important for the reg to perform properly)

The flow control element that meters this flow of tiny bubbles from the reg is part of the piston on older regs while it is located in the valve body in the newer models.

If contaminated the entire piston must be replaced in older models which is more expensive than just replacing the flow control element itself.

This is probably more than you wanted to know but I thought you might find it of value.

Oh and by the way if your on a dive boat and someone tells you your Sherwood reg is leaking air just tell them that you like to leave a trail of bubbles so you can find your way back...... :wink:

Most all Sherwood Regulators manufactured over the past 10 years will have pretty much the same service kits. The exception being the Maximus which has a few more parts than the rest of the line. All the kits are readily available, and will be for some time, as the newer versions of the line will have all the same parts.

Parts and service kits are available for most every Sherwood Regulator manufactured all the way back into the 80's, with the few exceptions to that having some sort of alternative to get your toys safely back into the water available.

Older than that, it's hit or miss. For the most part, I can supply parts for most regs, but some of the more popular parts from the OLD regs have run out and will not be remanufactured.

So, all in all, enjoy!!!

Bob

As previously noted: The new Max has a few more parts and the newer first stages have a different flow control element and check valve. In a nutshell, nearly all the wear-prone parts are the same. The easiest way to tell is that the older, larger second stages take a different diaphragm and exhaust valve. Sherwood is pretty good about parts for a long, long time.

Bob--

My newly-OWD-certified son just inherited my old Sherwood SRB 2100 Brut regulator (s/n 226202), bought in 1986. As you may know, Sherwood is not very well-known here in Europe (I'm working at the U.S. Embassy in Warsaw, Poland now).

The Brut was last serviced in 1992 in Berlin, and not used since then.

Before putting it back into service, I took it to the only Sherwood dealer I could find here in Warsaw for a service. They ordered a service kit from Balzer Gmbh in Lauterbach, Germany, which is the nearest distributor. (I wrote to Sherwood and they said the sevice kits are still available through Balzer.)

The local dealer waited for the kit for a month, with no luck. They finally said they'd service it using what they had on hand; I figured stuff like the filter wouldn't have to be replaced since the reg was unused since the previous service.

OK, what do I do next summer? Can I get a service kit from somewhere directly in the States, and have the service done locally? How about for my brand-new Magnum?

--Marek

shrwdtech:
Most all Sherwood Regulators manufactured over the past 10 years will have pretty much the same service kits. The exception being the Maximus which has a few more parts than the rest of the line. All the kits are readily available, and will be for some time, as the newer versions of the line will have all the same parts.

Parts and service kits are available for most every Sherwood Regulator manufactured all the way back into the 80's, with the few exceptions to that having some sort of alternative to get your toys safely back into the water available.

Older than that, it's hit or miss. For the most part, I can supply parts for most regs, but some of the more popular parts from the OLD regs have run out and will not be remanufactured.

So, all in all, enjoy!!!

Bob

Back
Top Bottom