Question Tell me about Shore Diving at Hotel Barracuda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I last stayed there in 2014 and don't remember having trouble sleeping. Maybe you weren't drunk enough...

Re: staying at the Barracuda. Please let us know if they have updated the AC in their rooms. I stayed there several years ago & after my experience said Never Again. Location is great, ocean front + in town. BUT they had the very old style AC units that roar like an aircraft engine when on. And in the summer months you need AC. They made it impossible to relax in your room anytime during the day and hell at night trying to sleep.
I've only stayed there once so far (this past January) so can't say how it compares to years ago. However, although Hotel Barracuda is generally clean and a decent "dive hotel", I don't believe they've updated much in the past 50 years or so (they still use a typewriter for bills!), so I doubt the AC is much different. I don't specifically recall the AC, but after a couple of dives, a nice Mexican dinner, plus 1 or 2 adult beverages I can sleep through about anything. I will be there again in a week, and will pay specific attention to the AC and report back.

As far as relaxing in the room during the day, the beach bar below is fairly noisy during the day, so not the best place for light sleepers to try to nap.

Stayed there many times and never noticed the a/c being noisy, although some of the ceiling fans wobble quite a bit. The rooms I've had lately all seem to have newer refrigerators and TV's, some have had the showers re-tiled. It can definitely be noisy and crowded with cruise ship crews during the day but they are gone by the time you return from an afternoon dive. It's clean, safe, in a great location and that works for me !

Re: staying at the Barracuda. Please let us know if they have updated the AC in their rooms. I stayed there several years ago & after my experience said Never Again. Location is great, ocean front + in town. BUT they had the very old style AC units that roar like an aircraft engine when on. And in the summer months you need AC. They made it impossible to relax in your room anytime during the day and hell at night trying to sleep.
Here now and in our room it has a relatively modern Samsung AC unit that is not loud to me at all, even at 17C. The ceiling fan is actually louder when at higher speed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom