Temp at Twin Lakes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

atlas750

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Would like to get out and dive, but only have a 3mm full and a 3mm shortie that I can wear over it. Still to cold?

atlas750:
Would like to get out and dive, but only have a 3mm full and a 3mm shortie that I can wear over it. Still to cold?

I thought you weren't supposed to wear 2 layers of wetsuit over your arms since it could cut circulation. Just something I heard from the Dive Shop, could be a mith.

Most certainly a myth! A single layer of neoprene can cut off circulation if it doesn't fit well. It common to layer wetsuit and companent to customise the thermal protection you need in different situations. If not, you'd have to have a wearhouse of wetsuits in different styles, thicknesses, and designs. Either that or only dive in one or two conditions.

As always, Dee's right on. For example, Scuba Pro designs their wetsuits for layering and mix and match. Very effective approach.

Atlas,

I,ve been mixing and matching for years. You won't go wrong. Last week befor I left for Isla Mujeres, the temp at Twin Lakes was 56. If Dee & Beast forced me in I'd wear 5mm full, 3mm shortie over, hood & gloves. That's just me. ButThey know I'd probably just show up with my "dry suit". Heck, go ahead and try what ya got. It's called fun and experience!!

regards,

Dee:
Most certainly a myth! A single layer of neoprene can cut off circulation if it doesn't fit well. It common to layer wetsuit and companent to customise the thermal protection you need in different situations. If not, you'd have to have a wearhouse of wetsuits in different styles, thicknesses, and designs. Either that or only dive in one or two conditions.

Lovely, I guess they just wanted me to buy another wetsuit and that's why they said that.

Yep....dive shops have been known to do that! I hate to burst your bubble but dive shops don't always have your best interests at heart! There are a few that shoot straight with you but the majority will tell you whatever it take to make the sale or what they think you want to hear. All divers have to learn that the hard way.

Ive dove T.L. at 55 many times with a 3mm polar tech under a 3mm Obrien full rubber topped off with a 5 mm top with the crotch strap cut off...Dee can confirm...All that was a bit restricting but hey ...i`d rather be a little uncomfortable so i can get a 45 min dive in without freezin...but that`s just me..

Back
Top Bottom