Ten Days - ZERO Cigarettes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulations, as any former smoker will tell you it is very, very difficult to quit smoking.

Doctors will tell you that it is not necessarily the nicotine that is bad for you, it is the destruction of lung tissue that is the problem. If you are addicted to nicotine but continue to chew gum, well, there are worse habits. And if you continue with the vaporizer but spare your lungs Kudos to you.

Good luck and good health.

I used to work in a place where I had an ashtray on my desk. Half-pack a day or better. Once I started working from a home office I just inadvertently quit. I don't smoke in the house and going to the garage was too much of a pain.

But I seem to be lucky - I still smoke on vacation but have no cravings once I get home. My father-in-law can't believe it since he spent the better part of the 1980's trying to quit. The thought of my being able to start and stop on an as-needed basis doesn't compute with him.

Now that said - congrats on the ten day mark. I've worked with enough smokers who've not made it that far to know how big of an accomplishment that is.

m.

Today is my 10th day of being smoke free! This may not be the most appropriate place for this, but it could lead to a healthier life for whoever is interested.

I knew all about the dangers of smoking and that I should kick this horrible habit, but I had no intention of really quitting anytime soon. Thing was, I really enjoyed it. It was both relaxing and stimulating, I liked the taste, the physical part was fun, and I liked the social bits. I smoked a pack a day, sometimes more. Wake up, have a smoke. Eat, have a smoke. Going somewhere? Have a smoke. Working on something important or creative, there goes a pack. Night at the bar? Forget it, 2 packs down in one evening.

2 weeks ago, I ordered a “personal vaporizer” (aka: electronic cigarette) in an effort to maybe wean myself off of the stinkys. I was open minded but VERY skeptical. I thought I might like it but it wouldn’t replace my desire for actual cigarettes. To make this point short, I haven’t had a cigarette since my first puff from my vaporizer. I had 4 cigarettes left when I received my package in the mail, and I still have those 4. I was absolutely SHOCKED by this. In no way did I think this would flat out REPLACE smoking, and I most definitely didn’t think it would be this easy! I look at it more like ‘switching brands’.

Now before you all say it’s still smoking (like I thought when I first saw them years ago), it’s not even close! There’s no tobacco, there’s no burning of anything, there’s no smoke, no tar, no 4000+ chemicals, and NO STINK!! There IS nicotine though (which is optional and can be had in varying strengths). The important part to take from all of this is that nicotine isn’t all that bad for a person, but the delivery system of getting it by smoking can cause a plethora of health problems and is deadly. Vaping it, not so much (like getting nicotine in a gum or patch form). We all know the gum and patch have a poor rate of success, but vaping it delivers in a way that smokers are accustomed to. It’s a water vapor, but it’s dry, warm, and scratches at your throat the way a cigarette does (can be made to really scratch your throat or not at all!) – 3 things that took me by surprise, and I think played a big part in kicking cigarettes. The flavors are also really fun and reeeaaaallllly tasty! There really is a flavor for ANYTHING you can think of! I currently have a horchata flavor, cucumber melon, banana blueberry, and I made my own Colorado Bulldog with Kahlua, fresh cream, and cola flavors (I even found that these are being used in weight loss (with no nicotine) to curb cravings for sweets… people are ‘vaping’ their caramel apple pie rather than eating it).

So yes, I’m still addicted to nicotine, but I’ve found a MUCH MUCH better/safer/healthier/cleaner/tastier way of getting it, and in a way that wants me to say good-bye to cigarettes for good. My plan is to gradually lower the nicotine level to 0, but that story can only be told in time. One thing I do know is that I’ve had ZERO cigarettes since picking this up, and every single cigarette I don’t smoke, is a ginormous WIN for me!

I could really go on and on and on about this, but I’ll leave it at that for now. I don’t have a goal with this thread and I’m not trying to convert anyone or preach about it, but I really wanted to share my success story, as I feel this is a HUGE life accomplishment that could potentially improve the health of another person!

Here’s to being a better buddy, longer bottom times, more money to go diving, and not having to stand next to engine exhaust fumes anymore!! I just wonder what flavor I’ll take with me to compliment my next Pina Colada!

If you’d like more information about “electronic cigarettes” (I really dislike that term), I highly suggest visiting this forum: E-Cigarette Forum

286 days for me.

Similar patterns as above and now no nicotine.

It can be done.

You can do it.

Congrats, stay with the plan.

20+ years for me, did wonders for my air consumption too, can't even stand the smell of these nasty things now.

I have never smoked, but my son does... er did. He converted to the e-cig and it really, really helps. I am mildly allergic to cigarette smoke. My eyes water and swell and my nasal passages get all runny. This has eliminated that in our household and I love it. He feels better too. It's a win/win as far as I am concerned.

I started when I was 12 and smoked for 30 years. When I tried to quit with gum I ended up smoking and chewing gum. When I tried dip, I ended up smoking, chewing gum and dipping, patches only made it slightly less torturous to not smoke. It also caused me to fail the swimming portion of the open water class when I was 19, something I always regretted...

I finally had it. Quit cold turkey.

3 days of shaking and laying in the floor crying,

3 weeks of realllly wanting a cigarette

finally did it. That was 8 months ago. I decided if I was going to quit, I was going to pass that damn swimming test, so I swam every day for about 2 months after I quit and finally, after all those years got certified.

It sucks to think about how many good dives I missed all those years I was smoking.

I still have about one decent craving a day, but its more than manageable and now I hope I never touch another cigarette.

I never realized how bad smokers smell...

Also, it changes your taste buds.

I used to only drink coke and doctor pepper, now I can't stand them.

Now I can only drink mt dew and some fruity drinks.

Anyway, I'm glad you quit. You never know what doors it will open for you.

Thank you everybody for the support and words of wisdom! It really helps! Having gone through a few typical triggers with ease really makes me think I can do this for good. I got through the huge Thanksgiving meal, got through a few happy hours, and made it through hanging out in the smokers circle. 2 co-workers also picked up electronic cigarettes (1 was a really strange but awesome coincidence, the other tried ours and converted), so that's been a great help as well.

There is a lot of people who will miss your taxes.

Congrad's!!

I never thought of it like that... this is way more fun now!!

This is a great start. But go ahead and post your accomplishment everywhere you can. Don't just tell all your friends but brag about it to them. If they will listen, do the same with strangers. That is what I did almost 30 years ago. What an ******* I would have been had I gone back to smoking.

I definitely think this is important. I shared the news with all my family and friends and they are more than thrilled, especially my mom. I'll never forget the day she first saw a cigarette in my mouth - if you thought Maria Sharapova had a nice backhand, try one to the face from an italian lady! hahahaha! I'll see a few people who responded in this thread in the summer and I really don't want to give them a reason to call me a failure or liar! That'll be a big motivator for me!

Congratulations!!!! I quit smoking back in 2008......and then started back up in 2011 after having my house broke into, I got an e-cig the other day and promptly broke it the next on accident.

Ouch, what a trigger! 3 years of no smoking is a LOT of smokes not smoked, you should be proud of that! If you try the e-cig again, you should check the link I posted at the end of my first thread. I was about to buy a startup kit from Walgreens or the like until I found that site. I found a battery that will last all day without recharging and refillable tanks to pour the liquid into rather than swapping out and throwing them away - and they work much better than the gas station kind. I think having a device like this really helped me from the get-go since I don't have to fiddle with or carry around a bunch of components or need to constantly recharge. I wanted to take all the hassle out of it and that forum really steered me in the right direction (and the people are VERY supportive and friendly). I'm just really glad it's working. I knew I should quit, kind of wanted to, but wasn't planning on it. This idea came out of the blue for me and really took me by surprise after finally trying it (never even held one before placing my order). If you pursue quitting again, much good luck to you!!

One hour at a time, then one day at a time. Congrats!

One hour: Check! One day: Check! One week: Check! I like how they keep getting longer! I can't wait for the 1 month, 3 month, 1/2 year and full year! Each single cigarette not smoked really is a huge victory!

Way to go John!

Thanks Tom! Next year's Invasion is a little pricey, had to check out my options... and I ain't much of a dancer or illusionist! hahahahaha

I'm more of a caffeine person myself. Drinking cola as a kid really put a thick mucous lining on my esophagus, that or it numbed me to acidic stuff.
Hot sauce didn't help either.

Congrats :wink:

OH PLEASE TELL ME HOT SAUCE IS OK!!!!!!! I LOVE HOT SAUCE!!!!! Seriously, I buy it by the liter, lol!

A side benefit is productivity goes up a bit as there aren't nearly so many "break times".

Good point... I think I should take up stretching! lmao!

286 days for me.

Similar patterns as above and now no nicotine.

It can be done.

You can do it.

That's awesome man, congrats on your success as well! Did you also use an electronic cigarette? I have one bottle of 'e-juice' with no nicotine, I wanted to see if the culprit was cigarettes or nicotine and if I could go without either. The no nic juice still leaves me craving, so now I will gradually lower the levels. I have 4 bottles of 18mg juice which should last about a month, and I'll order 2 more of 18mg and 2 of 12mg next time and rotate them around to see what that does for me. I'm beyond excited to be off of cigarettes, and with those out of the way, I'm happy with taking my time to get rid of nicotine. This is working REALLY WELL so far, so I don't want to jump any guns and relapse. I just wonder how long I'll keep 'vaping' at 0 nicotine when I get there, because this stuff is reaaaalllllyyy tasty, I'm LOVING it!! Someone should make flavored tanks of compressed air! ...seriously!!! hahahaha

Congrats, stay with the plan.

20+ years for me, did wonders for my air consumption too, can't even stand the smell of these nasty things now.

Congrats on your victory as well! It really is amazing at how quick you come to dislike the smell of cigarettes. It's almost hard to believe that smell made me WANT one! I really look forward to my new bottom times!

I started when I was 12 and smoked for 30 years. When I tried to quit with gum I ended up smoking and chewing gum. When I tried dip, I ended up smoking, chewing gum and dipping, patches only made it slightly less torturous to not smoke. It also caused me to fail the swimming portion of the open water class when I was 19, something I always regretted...

I finally had it. Quit cold turkey.

3 days of shaking and laying in the floor crying,

3 weeks of realllly wanting a cigarette

finally did it. That was 8 months ago. I decided if I was going to quit, I was going to pass that damn swimming test, so I swam every day for about 2 months after I quit and finally, after all those years got certified.

It sucks to think about how many good dives I missed all those years I was smoking.

I still have about one decent craving a day, but its more than manageable and now I hope I never touch another cigarette.

I never realized how bad smokers smell...

Also, it changes your taste buds.

I used to only drink coke and doctor pepper, now I can't stand them.

Now I can only drink mt dew and some fruity drinks.

Anyway, I'm glad you quit. You never know what doors it will open for you.

Wow, what a story - thanks for sharing!! Congrats and welcome to the world of scuba! Pretty neat, isn't it?

I thought I would be the same way with this e-cig... thought I would end up using both. I'm very happy to say that's NOT the case! I tried cold turkey a few times (ya know, those mornings when you're real wheezy and get disgusted with yourself), but I always broke down in the end. It definitely takes some strong will-power to overcome that! Congrats and good luck on your journey as well!

I was pretty amazed yesterday when I realized I could still taste my toothpaste and my mouth felt clean 5-6 hours after I brushed! I really forgot what that was like, which is pretty sad! I can't wait for my food to really come to life!

I have never smoked, but my son does... er did. He converted to the e-cig and it really, really helps. I am mildly allergic to cigarette smoke. My eyes water and swell and my nasal passages get all runny. This has eliminated that in our household and I love it. He feels better too. It's a win/win as far as I am concerned.

It's always great to hear another success story, especially for me when it's another e-cig user. Congrats to your son! Smoking really does effect all the people around you, I'm glad I'm not that jerk anymore! I had to run to catch the train for work last night and I was surprised how less winded I was. I'm not claiming to be in shape (maybe it's time to dust off and finally use those Insanity dvd's!), but it's amazing how much better you feel when you don't smoke. It's only been 11 days now and WOW what a difference - I really can't wait for time to move on in this regard! Disgusting, I know, but boy was it GROSS to see all the crap I was coughing up a few days in, but it also made me really happy to see it and say my good-byes!

<<Also, it changes your taste buds.>> A heavy smoker friend of mine swore sincerely there was no difference in taste between red and black licorice. Wow.

Great job everyone. Keep at it. There are lots of rewards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom