"Term limits" on certifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why are humans so interested in saving every one last living thing? Mother-nature has this thing called survical of the fittest, the food chain, ect. Yes it is sad if someone you know dies while diving, buy what if it was there time. what if that day was there day to die? Being re-certified will not help that. People should know there limits and stop spending money on fancy gadgets that do nothing other than build ego. That will solve alot of problems.

Diving has evolved into a very safe sport over the years. I think we can all agree on this point. While the training has improved, I believe that a large portion of credit comes from advances in equipment design. A person would have to try really hard to kill themselves with a BC holding them on the surface. When I first started diving, the BC did not exist.

I would be careful not to snap to a judgement of training requirement that effect tens-of-thosands, over what happened in a single event. While any death is unfortunate, sanity must prevail.

I think more care taken to encourage people to keep up to date with their skills, but if you require a recert, where does it end? Do I the need to prove that I've done Nitrox dives, Trimix dives, etc. Some agencies offer classes like computer diving and boat diving and provide a card for them. Will I need to prove that I've used a computer or done a boat dive?

Going diving without up to date training is not a good idea, but if you start regulating it, who knows where things will wind up. Maybe divers should wear ropes attached to the boat so they can't go below their certified depth too! I know that sounds ridiculous, but one could easily argue that if new divers go below their certified depth it puts their life at risk as well.

Regarding Term Limits on Certifications:
----------------------------------------------------------

Keep term limits and re-certification away from me.

I know how to dive. The gear hasn’t changed much. Basically, if at one time you are a good swimmer, comfortable under water, and understand the equipment, what is there to forget?

If I dive from the shore or off of a private boat, who is present to stamp a logbook?

One of the normal effects of getting older and out of shape is getting smarter and taking less chances. Also, you float better. I keep the no-decompression numbers on the computer further into the green zone strictly as an age adjustment.

I would definitely stress teaching divers awareness of the effects of ageing. They should be aware of things such as more conservative decompression numbers, less reserve strength, higher probability of physical and medical surprises, another pound or two on the weight belt, etc. I’d appreciate giving gray-haired divers (including ones with dyed hair) an information sheet with their latest tank refill. Good information anytime, but please no testing program.

I’m still safer than most because I grew up free diving. There is absolutely nothing in the PADI training that evaluates comfort under water when something gets flaky.

I’d take an older, experienced diver for a buddy any day over a healthy greenhorn who is not sure how much air he uses or how much weight to carry. My scariest buddies have been the youngest because they were just not processing many of the things going on around them.

I’ve personally had large gaps in my diving activity. There has been little adjustment required when diving again. My experience is that the training just doesn’t go away.

Steve C.

I have just glanced over and haven’t read all these posts but rectification isn’t the answer. Having the SCUBA Police out there also isn’t the answer.

No matter what you do to make anything safe a percentage of the population is going to go outside of those boundaries.

Some of us have to recert every three years. That recert require basic skills among other activities. What happens if we don’t? Nothing unless an accident happens.

It all boils down to this. It doesn’t matter how many rules, laws or restrictions you put out there, some people are going to find a way around them. Every where you go (in the USA anyway) there are speed limits on public roads. Clearly posted and within sight of everyone but most people will ignore them and speed. Some just by a mile or two and others will try and double it. All the cops in the country can’t keep it under control so how does anyone think SCUBA could be controlled.

You can’t legislate against stupidity.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
It all boils down to this. It doesn’t matter how many rules, laws or restrictions you put out there, some people are going to find a way around them. Every where you go (in the USA anyway) there are speed limits on public roads. Clearly posted and within sight of everyone but most people will ignore them and speed. Some just by a mile or two and others will try and double it. All the cops in the country can’t keep it under control so how does anyone think SCUBA could be controlled.

You can’t legislate against stupidity.

That's what those signs on the highway mean?

But seriously, I agree... You can't fight stupidity with rules (unfortunately).

But to those who think it's ok to allow your experience to lapse... Remember that according to the DAN report on dive accidents: The vast majority of dive accidents are from experienced divers who have not done a dive in more than 1 year.

Doesn't that speak volumes?

Here is a case of stupidity.

A young man (where have we heard this before?) hasn’t dove in several years.

Some buddies (maybe the ones holding his insurance policy) talk him into going diving.

They go to the dive shop (not the one we use) and rent ALL the gear. Then they go to a deep spot on Lake Pend Oreille and try to set personal depth records.

He must have set it because he’s been down several years now somewhere between 600-800’ feet. He must have a great SAC rate.

The shop originally wanted their gear back but I think they are changing their minds now.

When we dove on the spot we could see hit marks on the rocks as he bounced towards the abyss. I think he might have been a bit on the heavy side as hard as he was hitting.

Ahhhhhh, the power of beer.

He is only one of a couple of dozen people, we know of, missing in that lake. It also has a lot of hunting, fishing, drinking and diving accidents where we make recoveries.
A swimming accident is rare on it.

Gary D.

divetahoe:
Dr. Bill,

I'm sure you are aware of PADI's position that anyone who hasn't dived in a year should take a refresher course prior to an OW dive. It is only a suggestion, not an enforceable decree, though.

It is unfortunate that people don't realize that practice makes for safe diving. In my area, we offer a "Spring Fling Come One, Come All Let's Get Wet In The Pool Before The Season Begins" event that is pretty widely attended. I'd like to think it has decreased the number of emergency diving-related events at Tahoe over the years.

FWIW.

--divetahoe
I agree with responsibibily is concerned. Last year in Playa del Carmen on my last dive. We had this person who wanted to dive with us, that was certified 10 years ago and hadn't dove since. The dm/instructor had to spend the majority of his time with this person, instead of watching the rest of us. I on the other hand just being certified the previous summer had just enough experience to take care of myself let a lone two other people. I had to watch two other people that had just been certified a couple of weeks prior to their trip to playa.

Diving in playa is not hard, but if you haven't drift dove it can make you a bit nervous for the first couple of minutes, because you actually realize that you are not the one in control, the ocean is.

Although I liked the experience in playing dm, I don't think that tht should have been my responsibility, but I did get more respect for the real dms on what they must do while they are working.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom