Texan visiting San Diego

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rlowe

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am visiting San Diego on and diving on August 1st. I booked a Kelp dive with Dive Connections.

I am an SSI OW certified diver with warm water dives only. The thickest suit I have had to don is 5mm in our local lake. I am very comfortable in the water and have been eight dives since June.

So, my question is, should I book a DM to accompany me, or will I be OK with a buddy on the boat? I guess I just don't quite know what to expect.

Thanks in advance
Randy.

Dive Connections usually go to the Giant Kelp forrests of Point Loma. The water tends to be a little colder here for some reason. Your 5mm should be fine for August. Your dive shouldn't be deeper that 60ft. A "buddy of circumstance" should be fine........... Kelp diving is no biggy if you keep calm, if you do get tangled, you or your buddy can help you untangle. Have fun.

ShakaZulu:
Dive Connections usually go to the Giant Kelp forrests of Point Loma. The water tends to be a little colder here for some reason. Your 5mm should be fine for August. Your dive shouldn't be deeper that 60ft. A "buddy of circumstance" should be fine........... Kelp diving is no biggy if you keep calm, if you do get tangled, you or your buddy can help you untangle. Have fun.

Yeah, I figure it will be cold. I reserved a 7mm rental with hood for the dives. I am a wuss when it comes to cold water :)

rlowe:
...should I book a DM to accompany me, or will I be OK with a buddy on the boat?
You never know who you're going to get as a boat buddy, so the more conservative option would be to go with a local DM. Plus it's always nice to have a tour guide. Not to say that you won't be OK, but I'd think the benefits outweight the negatives.

Yeah it cost more but the last thing you want is buddy who, like you, is here for the weekend and squeezing in a dive. Ya just never know. Hell, if I wasn't already booked on another boat, I would go with you. :wink:

Tuck In All Your Loose Straps, Specially The Ones On Your Fins, Dm Is A Great Idea. If Sunny Don't Be In A Hurry To Suit Up, Unless Your Jumping In First, You Will Burn Up In The 7 Mm Suit.

Well, my flight was delayed and I missed the boat to the kelp. I did make it in time for the boat to the Coronado Islands. Dove Lobster Shack and La Mesa.

I just want to say I had a great time, and great experience. I met good people and will make a point to come back and dive the cold waters there again.

Items of interest were one lone playfull seal and lobster. You guys also have lots of stars and urchines.

Randy.

Hope to dive with you next time you are in town.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom