Thailand diving and non-diving activities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, Kata Country House has gone up quite a bit in price. Also nice: Kata Minta Phuket.

Overnight trip to Phi Phi is nice. Just take into account, that the dives are on the divesites in between Phuket and Phi Phi like Shark Point, and the divesites close by Phi Phi like Bida Nai and Bida Nok, whereas with the liveaboards you dive some of these sites plus Hin Daeng and Hin Muang. And the latter 2 sites are the highlights of the South Andaman Sea.

Quite a lot of fishing charters, you can easily book one here.

Air Asia is fine, I am flying myself in February to Bangkok with Nok Air, was cheaper for the flights I would like than Air Asia.

On Phuket Songkran is on the 13th of April. Very nice day, but I'm glad that on Phuket Songkran is limited to one day.

Calypso Divers in Kata run the Phi Phi overnight trip. It runs on Friday to Saturday I think but not sure on that. It's a very good trip, 7 dives including a night dive. It also dives shark point and the king cruiser wreck. Time on PP Island is really limited because the night dive is done first then you go check into your bungalow. By that time it's past 8pm so there's just time for dinner before bed because the next day starts at about 7am.

Kata has got busier and more expensive since 2006.

Songkran is CRAZY! And strongly not recommended as your intro to Thailand. Although they are more civilised about it in the North, the crazy kids in Bangkok have transmorgified it into open street warfare. I'm talking about getting drenched by filthy muddy water you won't wash your dog in. Forget about dressing well since your best Billabongs will be smacked with smelly powder. Shops/malls will also be closed to prevent property damage. You will never return to Thailand if you are welcomed by some strange guy squirting some white sticky stuff all over your face.

To be avoided at all costs.

Songkran is CRAZY! You will never return to Thailand if you are welcomed by some strange guy squirting some white sticky stuff all over your face.
To be avoided at all costs.

It's not THAT bad Traminer. Songkran is a very special event for Thais (and some local expats alike) and is in general A LOT of fun with tons of people on the street having a good time splashing (scented) water (and talcum powder) on one another.
I must admit that a small minority of people joining Songkran make a mess with squirting either bad smelling colored water or just drink too much and become a bit "too friendly" but in general I think it's a GREAT event.

And YES, it's not a good idea to dress up in your fanciest clothes when celebrating Songkran or bringing a camera without a housing along...

:D

Back
Top Bottom