Thailand IDC???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saskdiver911

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey, me and a fellow diver are looking to do an IDC somewhere in Thailand. We are looking at March or April and are wondering what would be a good spot to take our IDC. I would love to up my chances of seeing whalesharks and mantas. Any suggestions? I know WS are far from gauranteed sightings, but im sure there are many places to up the odds. Thank you and look forward to hearing any input.

There are various options and locations available in Thailand. I'm located on Samui but Phuket, Koh Tao and Pattaya may be options as well.

Soon a shop from Pattaya will join this thread and tell you that they're the best thing slice bread, make up your own mind though and email various CD's in Thailand and take it from there.

Feel free to pm or email me for more info.

Ok then, lads, I'll do it!

Your choice is quite simple.

Although excellent IDCs are conducted all over Thailand if you want to see a whale shark too , it has to be Koh Tao.

Pattaya has very few sightings, Phuket - you'll need a liveaboard and that's not part of a usual IDC.

Koh Tao you can listen out for a WS sighting, suit up, nip out for 20mins and dive with it, get dry, back in the classroom for another riveting IDC session. Depending on the CD you choose , he might not even realise you've been missing , or perhaps he'd like it if you went missing.

Now you only got about 10 centres to choose from..............

Personally id choose a CD that is teaching and not using a staff instructor while they are constantly surfing the net ! Sandwich anyone.

Great to hear that your going the instructor route !For a decision like this if you have the time decide on location then go there and have a chat with the CDs you have shortlisted !Speak to some of there candidates and get a feel for what your getting.

Have fun and good luck with your new direction !

Hi Saskdiver,

I did my IDC about a year ago and would be happy to give you more details if you want to PM. All PADI course directors train using the same standards and have their students assessed by PADI examiners. This ensures quality instruction. Location and rapport with your instructor should be considered. March April would be prime for Samui/Koh Tao. A small class size is a big plus as well.

Good luck,

Hello Sasakdiver, I sent you a PM but, for all with similar opinions, let me say one thing.

Diving conditions / marine life shoudl not be a primary consideration for choosing an IDC training center. Your prioirty should be on the quality of the center and instructors, how much experience in doing IDCs and IEs on a regular baiss they have, the pass rate over time and how good you'll be when you finish.

Despite the sour grapes he served above to go with my sliced bread, Camille and many centers in Thailand do very good IDCs. We at Aquanauts do 11 IEs a year and have a 100% pass rate for 24 consecutive months. Not sure that's as good as sliced bread, but its certainly puts us on the top table.

Back
Top Bottom