Thank heavens for PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detroit diver once bubbled...

Correction:

It's a Pinto. Cheap, inefficient, and dangerous.

Exactly. The SCUBA industry would be much better off without PADI.

Take a look at "Sport Diver" magazine and then try to say that PADI is doing good for the industry.

I see what you mean now......

But we are not talking about the best out there.......thats always debateable. (sp)

What we are talking about is how many people PADI has introduced to the diving world. I'm sure your with Walter on your dislikes about PADI, but they are responsible for the majority of the dive industries clientel.

Because of this board and people like you, Walter, and others....I watch OW classes at the quarry and to myself I say..geez, that is just not good enough.....

My soon to be dive buddy is getting certified next weekend..I told her to get thru the OW dives and then I'll takeover from there...mentoring her etc.

I am a product of the PADI system, but I believe my own standards are much higher than those that were taught to me.

Jep,

You've got to ask yourself- if PADI really taught this stuff correctly from day one what this industry might look like now. What would the divers look like now?

They introduced you and everyone else to cheap and easy. Not quality. If they had some inkling of how to teach diving, you wouldn't be saying "geez, that's not good enough" because you, and everyone else going thru that system would be trained to a much higher level to start out with.

It's all about the cash.

Yes, I know it's a troll, but it's too ugly to ignore!

Your right, it is about cash and I know that...but if you want PADI to up their standards to meet yours then the amount of divers will sharply decline....

The normal recreational wannabe diver is interested in a quickie course to get in the water.....I dont think that is PADI's fault....that is just what the majority of people want out of their course. People are just too busy...

If PADI extends their course to cover more then you will see a direct correlation to the amount of new divers in the industry.

Besides, how many injuries do you know of that are directly related to the PADI system?

Whatever. Padi gets picked on because they are the biggest, that's the only reason, not because they have wronged any of you in any way. If SSI was the biggest, you see Acronyms like Sucky Scuba Instructors, NAUI's Not Another Underwater Idiot, or GUEs Grand Undertrained Exagerationists. The lion gets the lions share. There's nothing wrong with PADI that isn't wrong with EVERY other agency.

jepuskar once bubbled...
Your right, it is about cash and I know that...but if you want PADI to up their standards to meet yours then the amount of divers will sharply decline....

I don't have problem with that at all.

The normal recreational wannabe diver is interested in a quickie course to get in the water.....I dont think that is PADI's fault....that is just what the majority of people want out of their course. People are just too busy...

Gee, that's too bad. I'd like to learn to fly to the moon in a weekend, but it just isn't going to happen. Does NASA dumb down their astronaut class just so more people can become astronauts?

If PADI extends their course to cover more then you will see a direct correlation to the amount of new divers in the industry.

That's not all bad.

Besides, how many injuries do you know of that are directly related to the PADI system?

Let's ask that a little differently-how many incidents could have been prevented with better training?

jepuskar once bubbled...

But the vis will improve.

There is certainly a market for underwater tourism. I just wish they would stop refering to it as diving.

Not too much more but how about much better? Maybe there would be less students but I'll wager that more of them would stay with diving because they wouldn't be too scared to go diving.

Replace the word PADI with "main stream recreational training" and I'd say a bunch not to mention all the near misses and a few injuries I've witnessed personally.

detroit diver once bubbled...

That's not all bad.

Eliteism is the coolest.

DD,

Do you really think it is the training or the individual divers outlook on diving?

Example: PADI requires you breathe from a free flowing regulator for 30 seconds in the confined water class....thats all that is required...to show you can do it. Now if this same divers reg free flows at 90 feet and they freak out and die.....who's fault is that?

Answer: The divers, not the agency!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom