Thank heavens for PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The vis, the vis, the vis...

Get out of the quarry and you'll be amazed at how good the vis is! This board wouldn't exist if PADI didn't, and that's a fact. The vast majority of people diving wouldn't be if it wern't for PADI, and that's a fact. Which I'm sure would suit some of the spoiled brats just fine. Newsflash: The underwater realm is not the exclusive club you want it to be. Deal with it, and quit whining. Or buy some land with your own pond/stream/quarry, and don't let anyone else dive it. Then you can be sit there, all smug and superior, a big fish in a deserted pond. Have fun.

I figured this board out. (The basic scuba discussions part, anyway.)

Get a horse.

Kill it.

Beat it in every thread you can until someone else kills a horse, then jump over and beat that dead horse, until you can get back to your dead horse.

I believe that covers it?

I'm gonna buy a controlling interest in a cheese factory, and send out a bunch for x-mas presents!

jepuskar once bubbled...
DD,

Do you really think it is the training or the individual divers outlook on diving?

Example: PADI requires you breathe from a free flowing regulator for 30 seconds in the confined water class....thats all that is required...to show you can do it. Now if this same divers reg free flows at 90 feet and they freak out and die.....who's fault is that?

Answer: The divers, not the agency!

But...if the agency (or the instructor as a result of their own experience in deep cold water) requires the student to practice the skill mid-water until they can breath from a free flow with minimal change in depth and position without undo discomfort and without loosing contact with their buddy and the same diver has a free flow at 90 ft and, other than being a little disappointed in having to call a great dive, has no trouble at all.

Now fault is a non issue.

You picked a good example Jason because there have been quit a few injuries and many near misses due to a diver shooting to the surface after a reg free flows. This drives me absolutely crazy because there is absolutely no reason this should even rattle a diver. It's exactly this sort of bs that needs to be addressed. But I guess it is the divers fault for buying poor training in good faith and believing the instructor and agency they hired to train them.

Buyer beware!

PhotoTJ once bubbled...
The vis, the vis, the vis...

Get out of the quarry and you'll be amazed at how good the vis is! This board wouldn't exist if PADI didn't, and that's a fact. The vast majority of people diving wouldn't be if it wern't for PADI, and that's a fact. Which I'm sure would suit some of the spoiled brats just fine. Newsflash: The underwater realm is not the exclusive club you want it to be. Deal with it, and quit whining. Or buy some land with your own pond/stream/quarry, and don't let anyone else dive it. Then you can be sit there, all smug and superior, a big fish in a deserted pond. Have fun.

I figured this board out. (The basic scuba discussions part, anyway.)

Get a horse.

Kill it.

Beat it in every thread you can until someone else kills a horse, then jump over and beat that dead horse, until you can get back to your dead horse.

I believe that covers it?

I'm gonna buy a controlling interest in a cheese factory, and send out a bunch for x-mas presents!

Well, except for teaching I do stay out of the quarry. But that's where I must teach and the mud puppies make it rather hard. They also ruin some otherwise good diving. Whinning? you have no clue. Deal with it? I am dealing with it, the best way I know how anyway. Or do you mean ignore it? Not likely.

I picked that example for the very reason you stated....there seems to be a trend...

A couple weeks ago after all the free flowing incidents I thought to myself...boy, I havent practiced a free flow since OW....about 9-10 months ago.... I hopped in my pool and breathed off of a free flow for a good couple minutes....

Havent had a chance to practice it yet in the quarry, but its on my things to do..along with the mask removal/bouyancy thing.

If SSI was the biggest, you see Acronyms like Sucky Scuba Instructors, NAUI's Not Another Underwater Idiot, or GUEs Grand Undertrained Exagerationists.
I've never heard the last acronym. I have heard of the Global Underwater Evangelists, however.
This may well be the best single post ever in this particular section of the forum. We're all divers, we all have a common heritage, we all love being underwater. PhotoTJ, good one!

"Thank God for PADI", now, had you said "Thank God for Sport Chalet", I'd have thought you were on CRACK!

NAUI also meant Not Another Unemployed Instructor around Toronto

Now that Cronin has passed away, you might even see PADI Americas or PADI International go public and you will be able to buy shares on the exchange, just like McDonalds, Coca Cola and Disney!!

washow88 once bubbled...
I would say "Thank Heavens for PADI" too.
Without PADI, this board wouldn't even exist.

Thats a load of crap...

Or then again, maybe it is true... ALL the threads that get beaten to death over and over and over again. Just because some dumb PADI Instructor didnt cover a very simple topic in the OW class...

Get a life already....all you 4 and 5 star board members bickering over PADI...My dad is stonger than your dad....my car is faster than your car....my tooth past fights tartar better than yours does.... I'm not sure that this bickering is very productive. One thing I am sure of is weither you take a course from PADI, NAUI, SSI or Billy Bob's school for the gifted diver and you go diving without a reg in your mouth or a tank on your back... you aint gonna see much of the beauty diving has to offer and you aint gonna get very far from the dive boat!!! Thank god for all the diving organizations out there for making diving possible for all of us!!!!

P.S. The only reason not to smile to your neighbor is facial paralysis...and even then...you could always give a thumbs up.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom