That initial "oh god" moment.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just looked at my log, and I see it took me four years to get to Dive No. 17, and I recall having an "oh God I hope I'll be okay breathing underwater" moment on every one of those 16 widely spaced dives. Dive No. 17 was the beginning of my AOW course, for which my instructor was a personal acquaintance, and from then on I relaxed and began diving regularly and felt much more confident.

From all your posts, I got the impression that you were a very experienced and accomplished NJ Wreck diver.

45 minutes on the surface is an Oh God moment when you can hold onto or tie off to an anchor over a know wreck in a heavily dived area? You must have had very little excitement in your diving so far.

Did you read the post?

"Truthfully, I'm not very worried past the initial "WTF" moment. I'm on a line, with a float on one end and 75lbs of chain on the other. I'm right over a known wreck location. The boat knows I'm in the water... and where I am. I'm thinking that, worst case, if the boat can't get back they will call another boat or the Coasties."

I had mine recently...it was probably dive number 87ish. I was planning an easy, shallow shore dive with a friend in the afternoon, but when I got to the beach there was a storm in the area. We decided to dive anyway, with the plan to surface after 20 min. to see which way the storm was headed. But in the 1st ten min. of the dive, I found myself obsessing over the storm. I kept thinking about an incident in our area a few years ago, in which a diver surfaced in lightning and was electrocuted. My buddy was swimming really fast towards the reef in her freediving fins. Meanwhile, I was towing the flag, getting more and more anxious, starting to overbreathe my reg (this point was my "oh god" moment). I couldn't catch up and hadn't brought a noisemaker. She almost got out totally of sight, but right when I was about to surface on my own to see what the sky looked like, she turned around and I told her I wanted to go up. Since the storm looked pretty non-threatening at that point, we continued the dive till we started to see flashes underwater, then booked it to shore underwater (probably 300 yds or so). I actually stayed pretty calm after the initial "oh god" moment. I know diving with lightning in the area isn't a huge deal to some people, but I was momentarily paralyzed by the feeling that the situation was out of my control. Since then I have tried to exercise better judgment regarding dive conditions, and hopefully I'll be smart enough to avoid willingly putting myself in a situation like that again.

, she turned around and I told her I wanted to go up. Since the storm looked pretty non-threatening at that point, we continued the dive...

If you thumbed the dive ("I told her I wanted to go up") how did it come to pass that the two of you ended up continuing the dive?

I had one a few years ago, crewing on a local dive boat. After all the divers were back on the boat, I went in to unhook us from the wreck. On the way down, I thought it was odd that I heard the boat's engines start up... and then stop. Typically the captain puts the line on a tuna ball, throws it off, powers up, backs the boat off the ball, and circles the area until I get back up. You can usually hear the engines the whole time you're in.

Got to the bottom. Still no engines.
Unhooked the chain. Still no engines.
Dragged the chain out to the sand. Still no engines.
Came back up the line. No engines.
Did a safety stop. No engines.
Surfaced. NO BOAT!

Scary thought :(

I am in no way trying to say that you were wrong, I just want to learn from you :wink:
If I read you correctly you went into the water in order to retrieve the line. My guess is that this takes a few minutes, so why would you take a safety stop?

Never had a true "how god " moment but the most exciting stuff was to hear underwater the after shocks of a major earthquake that had happen between Guadeloupe and Dominica a few days before. It sounded like people nearby were fishing with dynamite :shocked2:

Scary thought :(

I am in no way trying to say that you were wrong, I just want to learn from you :wink:
If I read you correctly you went into the water in order to retrieve the line. My guess is that this takes a few minutes, so why would you take a safety stop?

Although it was a bounce, it was my third dive of the day to 130fsw, on a short SI as well. I do like to make a minute or two stop on such a dive.

Always better safe than sorry, I should think, unless a safety stop itself introduces some sort of jeopardy under the circumstances.

Reactions: RJP
I have never had a proper "oh God" moments but there have been a few incidents when I was diving in low visibility (1-3m) in a group and suddenly someone ahead touches the bottom and visibility is 0.5-0m, at one point I could hardly see my compass. At one point I ended up surfacing because I had totally lost everyone, including the person in the yellow/blue wetsuit and bright pink BCD. This was my 10th dive, most of which have been in low visibility.

If you thumbed the dive ("I told her I wanted to go up") how did it come to pass that the two of you ended up continuing the dive?

The storm looked far away still and I wanted to continue the dive.

I have never had the "oh god" moment in the sense of "when will this dive end." I did have a moment where I thought I was in serious trouble, and was beginning to hyperventilate. This was on my final Adv Nitrox/Deco Proc dive. I hit 147 and began to panic. I have never experienced a panic attack, but was later told that is what it was. Once I ascended 10 feet, I was fine. Dark narc??

A better story though is when I took my girlfriend and 11 year old daughter diving in Mexico. It was our 2nd dive of the day, and before we jumped in we could see the storm clouds beginning to build.

Being with my Jr OW daughter, we were limited to 40 feet, so had a good long dive. She was great. There was a pretty good current going, so she learned a bit about drift diving. After 55 minutes it was time to surface, and we had traveled a good way from our drop. We had a nice safety stop, watching the reef below us fly by. Our DM shot his bag and we just hung out. Upon surfacing one thing was missing. Where was the boat? There were 9 of us together, so they were not out picking up others. A decent swell had built, at the crest of which we could see our boat way off in the distance. Whistles were blown, arms were waving. We all watched as the boat left the area, in the opposite direction of us. Then we saw the lightning strikes out at sea. Oh well, time to swim. We were only about 1.5 km offshore, but well south of where we had dropped. It seemed like a cool challenge to me, except I had an 11 year old with me.

Some in our group began to get a bit panicky as the swim went on. It was a tough one. It was pouring rain and the lightning was getting much closer. My daughter was exhausted, and she was my absolute priority. I towed her for a bit, then she swam, then I towed, etc. My girlfriend was definitely having that "oh god I may die" moment. She was freaking out, but still swimming. As I got my daughter to a point where she could walk in to shore, I swam back out to help others. My gf was one of the last to get in, having lost her mask in the process. This was the first time I actually had to use some of the skills I learned in Rescue, dealing with panicked divers. The training came in handy.

The beach we ended up on was a few km south of the harbor, and on a locals beach. They were having a picnic as they watched exhausted divers drag themselves out of the water. As the rain calmed and lightning moved to the north, the shop owner pulled up with another boat to take us back to the dock. One of the DMs had swam in quickly to call for another boat.

I felt amazing. What an awesome challenge. Most everyone did something to help others out, from encouraging words to full out rescue towing. At the end of the day though, you are responsible for yourself (unless you are 11). Tough it out and swim, save your life.

I know the captain of the original boat was in trouble. We did not see him when we returned. The shop owner was completely apologetic. He even gave my gf a mask to replace the one she lost. Some of our dive group were pretty shaken, definitely having had that "oh god" moment (actually a lot longer than moment). I was pumped, who's up for round 2 (not really).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom