That initial "oh god" moment.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been diving around 3 years and was taught buddy breathing during my OW course. I recently did an exercise in the pool where I and my buddy had to buddy breath while attaching a cylinder to one of us and then lifting it to the surface. I also remember an exercise of buddy breathing where 4 people breathed of set (2 regulators) while swimming on the surface, within 10 minutes we had emptied the tank.

I have recently experienced a massive "oh god" moment after I clipped my fingernails much too short before the dive... I realized at that time that this was a point of no return. After a few days that felt like eternity, I lived to tell the story.

Reactions: RJP
I got my nose right up near a plastic package in a low-vis quarry once. The label said some gibberishy name and then "high explosive". My thoughts were more along the lines of "Well I'll be a Son of a Gun" surprise than genuine "OMG".

After the cleanup the police divers said the water probably had some explosives residues in it. I was told to rinse my drysuit exceptionally well and not try to take it on any international flights in the near future :)

my only oh god moment was really an oh sh*t moment on around my dive #6. i am afraid of heights. my divebuddy knew this from our ski trips (lifts are not your friends).

the first time "WE" swam out over the edge of a "small" wall, i went into oh sh*t mode and tried to back paddle in a "small well controlled panic". my divebuddy anticipated the situation, swam ahead of me, looked back and blew 500 psi laughing her a** off.

this taught me to spend a bit of spare time thinking potential future situations through. never had an oh god moment since.

Haven't had too many of those.. I'm not rattled Too easily I guess. But around my 40th dive or so had gone crab hunting for dungenness crab under an oil dock with someone I had just met. It was our second dive together, and he supposedly had done this dive many times. It was my first time crabbing.

Vis was pretty bad, maybe a couple meters and crabs kept popping up out of the sand and kicking silt up. He spotted a crab and took off and disappeared. I proceeded to try to figure out the best way to locate him and found him after a 5-10 minute search. He had the crab net so I wanted to find him to give him my crab which was the point of the dive.

5 minutes later though he did it again! I had two large and possibly angry crabs in my hands, no net, and no buddy. I poked around for a while to find him or find a bigger crab but it got EXTREMELY creepy under the oil dock. It was super dark. Crabs are basically like monster cockroaches that breathe underwater and have claws, and my octo hose kept brushing my arm and freaking me out.

That was the moment. I suddenly realized this wasn't a bright idea and being under a dock (most of the dive was not directly under it) im technically in an overhead environment with no buddy and if something went sideways I might actually die while clutching these two crustaceans LOL. The hose touching my arm wasn't helping.

Navigated back to about where we started and surfaced surprisingly next to some other diver who lost his buddy. Then noticed my "buddy" pop up 40 meters or so away with a bunch of crab and not particularly worried about finding me!

racerx, That gives me the willies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom