That was interesting...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOW, one hell of a story. Less dramatic, but I've had similar happen to me in Thailand.

Mine also involving a very new diver with a whole load of new video equipment losing his group at the lowest point of a 30m multilevel profile in order to get a few moments of a reef shark at 45-50m, chasing the damn fish below 60m, not sure how long he spent below his planned 30m, though.

Uncertain whether to ascend or not, he tried to locate the group at 30m for a few more minutes, then with maybe 40 Bar decides he has to go up, computer showing 20 mins or so deco at two levels (probably 6m & 3m - don't trust my memory) and had the blind luck to swim straight into me and my buddy starting our descent. The silly bugger would have had to hit the surface with a load of deco owing.

My buddy stayed with him, I surfaced and returned with another tank until he was safe (ish).

We made damn sure he knew what he had don:05:

jmiller51:
Jagfish,
Just wondering how you sent the message. Since this websites about learning and all, how did you send the message? Safety sausage???
I carry a slate, but he sent a note with another diver...
jagfish:
Thanks Don...

Ah, yeah, I had my wet notes...

Jim

DandyDon:
Note to self: When dropping a tank to a deco diver, lower it slowly on rope. :D

I can vouch for this too. A year or so ago whilst providing boat cover the dreaded yellow SMB appeared. No spare tank as such but my dive kit was fully assembled in the rack ready for me to use. 15l steel tank. Attached a reel to it to make sure it wasnt lost, clipped the shoulder strap over the divers SMB line and stuffed the nearest lead weights into the pocket.....2 x 4kg weights. Threw the kit in, deflated via hose and watched the thing plummet like a rock straight down the line. By all accounts it almost decapitated the diver that needed it. Fortunately the reel id attached to the top just about held and stopped it going the other 140ft or so down. From that point on we practice these things and dont weight them too heavily as i suspect being struck by 20kg of steel tank and 8kg of lead on its way down while low on air t a deco stop would do more harm than good.

As for this incident - i hope the poster claimed salvage of the expensive video/photo equipment :)

Thanks Water Dawg...

Here's the funny part...
The guy topside who had the extra tank was an instructor. He had an extra 10L steel tank and threw a regulator on it. He was afraid the full steel tank would not sink (!), so he strapped a weight belt to it with some lead (!) and then tossed it into the water above us. 5m down, the thing crashed next to us like an atomic bomb on the bottom, probably would have killed someone if it had hit...

I don't think that was funny that an INSTRUCTOR would add weights to a tank and then tossed it into the water.

Bill
dead dog:confused:

.....and yet another 9 year old post sees the light of day again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom