That's it. I'm sick and tired. I quit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mo2vation once bubbled...
You can PM me anytime if you're going through some stuff and you see the enemy returning, or you just want encouragement or prayer or anything.

Anytime.

You've made a great decision (for the right reason) - but its gonna be tough. I'm completely fired up for you!

Be strong.

K

PS: Veg rocks.

Thanks, man! I really appreciate that.

...So you're a veg too?

if they could get away with it.

Never mind that there is no evidence to suggest that it has anything to do with health in reality.

If you look at the rise of heart disease, obesity and diabetes, and correlate it with the foods we consume, you will find a few interesting facts:

1. Animal fats and protein have always made up a large part of a western diet. Farmers have ALWAYS eaten very large percentages of animal fats and protein (including eggs, milk, etc.) Yet there is no correlation to be found there with these problems. These foods were absent from the far-eastern diets primarily due to the poverty that the Chinese and related cultures live under, and the stunting of those people's growth through the lack of animal protein in their diet is well-documented. No, soy does not make an adequate substitute.

2. Vegetables were only available at certain times of the year, and the availability varied widely depending on where you were and what time of year it was. There was no distribution system to bring you bananas from Chile, for example. You wanted some form of vegetable or fruit, it had to come off a bush, tree or vine pretty much now, because shelf life was extremely short and refrigeration non-existant. A vegan lifestyle was IMPOSSIBLE for these reasons.

3. What DOES correlate with the rise of these disorders is (1) the outrageous growth in consumption of refined sugars, and (2) the introduction of "manufacturered" fats such as margarine and other "designer foods", along with people, including so-called "nutritional experts", telling us all to eat THOSE instead of animal fats such as butter!

If you look at someone who is on a monitored Atkins diet, for example, you will find that their triglyceride levels actually go DOWN, yet they eat damn near nothing except animal protein and fat! How's that possible? Also, their LDL/HDL cholesterol balance IMPROVES! Again, how's that possible?

Its possible because the problem metabolically IS NOT consumption of animal protein and animal fats. In fact, some of those fats and acids, such as Omega-3, found in fish, are amazingly beneficial to the heart and other organs.

It is the consumption of MANUFACTURED sugars and "artificial" fats that correlate with the rise of these problems.

When you consume excess glucose (in the form of these sugars or high-glycemic-index starches and other foods) AND lots of animal fat, the glucose provides ALL of the energy your body needs. Your body, being a machine that will protect against catastrophe caused by loss of the food supply, will store the extra fat - and you thus GET fat! Well duh! Don't do that!

You want to lose weight? Get ALL the refined sugars out of your diet, and ALL of the manufacturered crap out, eat both animal products and fruits/vegetables until you're satiated (not stuffed) with no more than six hours between meals while awake, and your weight and body function will normalize, provided you haven't trashed yourself too severely already with insulin resistance or similar internal problems.

The "vegan way" is not how you find health. Fats are ESSENTIAL to body chemistry, and so is cholesterol. In fact, if you've made any study of biochemistry AT ALL, you know that without cholesterol metabolism at the cellular level is flatly impossible. It is almost almost impossible to get a healthy mix of nutrients from vegetables alone, particularly B-complex vitamins, which are absolutely essential to metabolic regulation, and the amount of counting of nutrients and attention necessary to balance a vegan diet requires near-anal attention to portion control along with exactly WHAT is on your plate.

Be careful with the "one true way" nonsense. It is definitely not true and can be outright dangerous to to your health.

SeaJay,

Although I have never been a smoker, I can offer this point of view for you.
My mother has been a smoker since the age of 13, she finally quit at the young age of 56, right after she lost her battle with COPD.

I wish you nothing but sucess in quitting smoking.

-Crispy

Good luck CJ.

As for vegetables, that's not food, its what food eats.

Seriously, best of luck on your chosen path.

Tom

to what Andrew said about eating eggs?

SeaJay--CONGRATULATIONS on quitting smoking!!!!
I took care of many people with COPD--a nasty way to die. I'm glad you quit.

Ah.

Yeah.

Wow.

Okay, twelve hours down. Doing great. Got a funny taste in my mouth. My toes hurt for a while, but they didn't for long. Very strange. I'm eating nuts for breakfast tomorrow, along with a liter of water. I think I'm crazy. My ears are kinda ringin' a little, but my vision seems remarkably acute. I've got a headache over my left eye, but it's surprisingly not bothering me too much.

It's going to get worse, too. I don't care. Three days and the physical addiction's gone. I've always been very susceptible to nicotine... Dunno why. Thirty days and the psychological addiction is gone, which is the biggie for me.

Don't care. Gonna do it. Pow. Slam. Not gonna get the best of me. Period.

I wonder what else was in those things besides nicotine? I know there's arsenic in there, carbon monoxide, kerosene, chocolate...

Whoo.

Voodoo, man... It's all voodoo. Just a spacey chemical imbalance that I've got to get through to get right. Gonna kick it's ass. Gonna succeed. Gonna do it. Gonna show people it can be done. Gonna be the leader here.

Y'all, it's your turn to do it, too. Follow me. Hurts pretty good... And I will be for a few days. But I'll be better off for it. You deserve it too.

Nuts, man. Tomorrow morning we'll have nuts for breakfast. Good mojo. :D

Well Done fella!

I quit 2 years ago, best thing I ever did for my health, I can now do a 10K in under 0.46, and Im damned proud of it.

On the vegitarian issue:
If god wanted us to be vegetarians, he wouldnt have made cows taste like meat.

Dave

Nice job SeaJay... I guess I don't need to wish you luck 'cause you're going to do it :D

Genesis - you crack me up... Now if you just didn't make so much damn sense... Kind like that guy sreaming in the background that you KNOW is right but... Its good to have you on this board - sometimes I think you could make your points in a bit more of a succinct manner though :wink:

I guess at heart I'm cynical and mistrustful :boom:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom