The age-old problem: mask fogs up!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as rinsing the lense after spitting in it, the spit came out of your mouth so it's clean as far as you are concerned and rinsing it defeats the whole purpose of it.
saliva works just fine for me when I rinse it... and it means there isn't a layer of goobers on the mask...

Sometimes I will take the mask off and rinse the goober out while I'm diving. But this doesn't always work. It still fogs up. Your spit needs to be pretty thick to make it work all the time. When you get my age a little thick spit on the glass doesn't bother you too much considering some of the situations I've been in and the women I've hung out with over the years. You gotta be tough. I notice that my prescription mask fogs a lot easier than my non-prescription mask. Plus I exhale through my nose a lot when under water.

Sometimes I will take the mask off and rinse the goober out while I'm diving. But this doesn't always work. It still fogs up. Your spit needs to be pretty thick to make it work all the time. When you get my age a little thick spit on the glass doesn't bother you too much considering some of the situations I've been in and the women I've hung out with over the years. You gotta be tough. I notice that my prescription mask fogs a lot easier than my non-prescription mask. Plus I exhale through my nose a lot when under water.

Well said!!:rofl3::D

i have tried the burn it off method a couple of times and it has worked well. do a search here for it and you can see how to do it. easier on your thumbs than the tooth paste method.

I use regular dish soap like dawn or whatever just cover all the inside glass and rinse. I have never had it fog up when I use it.

baby shampoo. I know, i didn't believe it either. put a drop on each lense. push it around with your finger. let it dry. Rinse or don't rinse before diving; i have done both. you will be good to go and your mask will likely not fog; hint: the more you rinse it or flood your mask, the less shampoo residue will remain, and eventually you will fog. Doing 5 dives a day I usually do once at lunch and once in the evening after gear rinse. good to go the next morning; reapply at lunch interval.

I use regular dish soap like dawn or whatever just cover all the inside glass and rinse. I have never had it fog up when I use it.

dawn and other dish soaps work great. with baby shampoo,if you leave a bit of residue behind, your eyes will not surface. btw, the cheap brands sold at most stores work as well as the expensive brands of baby shampoo.

Spit into the lens
Rub the spit around the lens so that it will spread evenly on the lens
Wear it and jump into the water
Rinse away the spit while you are in the water(Do not rub. Just rinse)

Mask should not fog for the duration of the dive

We mix the baby shampoo with an equal amount of water (usually 1 cup of each) and put it in a spray bottle and leave it on the boat. Works great for defogging and getting that "river smell" out of your hair after a particularly silt filled dive... (Yeah, I'm a girl).

Spit in it and then rub it around. Do NOT rinse. Go diving. As far as breathing through your nose, I do it all the time and don't have any problem with fogging. I find that I can control the exhale time a lot better through my nose than through my mouth. I also think that when you exhale through your mouth that you pull air out of your tank at the same time causing you to use more air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom