The all-inclusive tipping note -- Boats, DMs & Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

obxdivemaster:
Let's see if I've got this right. The general concensus seems to be that 10% or $5 a dive is an adequate tip for a DM.

10% for the person responsible for your comfort and SAFETY - 15-20% for the waitress who keeps your tea glass full.

10% for the guy who'll put himself at risk to help you, but 15% for the cab driver that dropped you off.

I must be missing something... ???????
I spent $799 for the dive trip. Getting to the airport I took a $20 taxi. Once there, I had a $15 meal. The taxi driver got a $3 tip. The waitress also got a $3 tip (she smiled a lot) and the every single person at the resort split the $100's I left them - I don't know the DM's share. The taxi driver hated his job but it was the only way he could find work because of his poor English skills. The waitress obviously had trouble being on her feet all day but kept smiling anyway. The DM loved living in paradise despite having to babysit bad divers. He figured the pay and tips were enough to keep him from going back and working in a cubicle in Omaha. That works for me.

obxdivemaster:
Let's see if I've got this right. The general concensus seems to be that 10% or $5 a dive is an adequate tip for a DM. 10% for the person responsible for your comfort and SAFETY
15-20% for the waitress who keeps your tea glass full.
15% for the cab driver that dropped you off.
I must be missing something... ???????
We pride ourselves on providing the highest level of customer service possible. Thankfully most of the divers that come out with us recognize this and do better than what's being suggested here.

Percenteges can be very misleading eh?
20% for a waitress might mean 1$ tip while 10% for a DM is 10$, to say that its unfair to give the waitress her 1$ while ONLY giving a DM 10$, to my mind is...
If I pay 100$ for a 1 day 2tank dive and the DM isn´t getting ANY of that then there´s something seriously wrong that wont get better by me paying an extra 10$ to the DM...How would you react if the cashier started asking you to pay 10% of the total because she´s not paid enough?! (don´t tell me its different, a service or product has been advertised at a price and now suddenly there´s a "service-tax" for the product you already bought)

I don´t mind tipping for great service but anyone who starts out telling me that 10% is cheap wont be getting the 1st 100% again, if there are ANY alternatives...

In northern Europe, at least, tipping is usually not done at all except as a token of appreciation for services rendered NOT to keep the waitresses family fed etc. That is, IMO, the way it should be...

Hi All, it's me again with another question.

I'm going to Ocho Rios in May. As a new diver I've heard it is appropriate to tip the DM and Captain on the boat. Question is, how much do you tip and do you tip after each day, or wait until the last day?

Thanks

Brian

If I feel obligated to tip, I probably won't. They need to do something to earn a tip other than just being aboard. We dove Key Largo, Florida in Oct and again, with a different charter, in March. Both operators mentioned the Tip Jar and showed us where it was located. The level of service we received in the Keys paled compared to what we experienced in Belize this past January. We knew we would be diving with the same DM for 10 days so on the 3rd day I gave him a generous portion of his tip and told him that if the level of service continued I'd take care of him at the end of our stay. We will go back next year and I'm sure he will be happy to see us.

I did a search to find the standard for tipping - most people said $5/tank, but in most cases I think they were referring to Coz. Do you think this applies in Hawaii where a two-tank dive is around $100?

batgirl2003:
I did a search to find the standard for tipping - most people said $5/tank, but in most cases I think they were referring to Coz. Do you think this applies in Hawaii where a two-tank dive is around $100?
I consider $5 a tank to be the middle ground, no matter where I am or how much they overcharge for diving. The factor that should determine the tip from there is the level of service you receive. It is perfectly acceptable to tip $0 for lousy service and feel free to double or tripple the tip if somone really goes out of their way to enhance your enjoyment of the trip...

James

The following is a slightly revised version of a piece from in my "Ask RSD" column of the Oct '99 in "Rodale's Scuba Diving" magazine:

"How much, when and whom do I tip on a day dive boat?

As with tipping in other situations, dive boat gratuities are a personal matter, although local customs should be respected. For example, tipping is not yet customary in Australia, New Zealand, Japan and other countries.

In many locations, including the US, Mexico and greater Caribbean, however, it does seem generally agreed that tipping for good service on a dive boat is appropriate. Keep in mind that some crews derive much, and occasionally nearly all, of their income from gratuities, regardless of whose “fault” this is. Repeat customers of a dive op can well vouch for the value of recognition of crew effort.

For those interested in tipping, guidelines for day dive boats include: (1) Gratuities are just that, something given voluntarily and beyond obligation for a service rendered. They are not mandatory--if the service is very poor, don't leave anything; (2) An appropriate amount for good service is somewhere between 10-20 percent of the cost of the diving expenses, not including gear rental, park or chamber fees, and other incidentals. This amount should be adjusted so as to fit the level of service, with a range of 0 to 20 percent being acceptable, although some generous divers do leave more; (3) In most situations, you need tip only one crew member, often the DM who primarily attended you. The tip will be shared among the crew according to their internal agreements. If a particular crew member rendered a special service which was above and beyond the call of duty, e.g., brought a piece of his personal gear from home for your use, cleaned up after you following an episode of sea sickness, etc., then an individual gratuity could be justified; and (4) If your crew changes every day, tips will probably be most fairly shared if given daily. If your crew is stable and you desire to consider tips at the end of the trip, this is perfectly acceptable--just let the DM know. Of course, human nature being what it is the immediate rewards of a tip at the end of each diving day may result in the best service.

Finally, if in doubt about tipping, ask around. Local divers can tell you about their customs, and the consensus of your fellow divers will give you a good idea of what is appropriate."

That having been said, in Hawaii, where diving prices & the cost of living are high, if you tip $6-7 per dive everyone should be happy.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

even although tipping is not yet "customary" in australia, coming from a) a hospitality employ and b) and diving hobby, tipping is becoming more and more common.

If you feel you have had good service: tip.

i have worked as a bell boy / concierge for the past 5 years, to support a nasty habbit of studying and diving, and if you tip me for taking your bags up, or parking your car, or finding you tickets to a sold out show, then you sure as **** are going to get better service the next time i see you. that "shouldn't" be the case, but it is. and if i've taken really good care of you and you don't tip, you can expect the basic help the next time you ask.

whenever i go on a diving trip and use the same boat for a couple of days, i'll try to find out what sort of beer the driver drinks or wine, and buy a six pack or bottle for them. i think it makes for a more personal tip, as you have taken the time to find out, head to the store, and then bring it back.

if you are travelling, think about how nice it is to have someone help you out, and then thank them for it. don't do it - or not do it - just cos the local custom says to. do it because you want to say thank you.

When I was in Hawaii, they made fun of my BP/Wings set up, calling me Mister Tech Diver and such.
Tip=0

Rick:

Who was "they"? I visit HI fairly frequently and would like to compare notes, and allocate my diving business accordingly.

If not comfortable posting here, PM me please.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom