The bull sharks are still here!!!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geofish Dive in Playa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
This is posted in our daily Dive Report as well.

Went on a dive this morning around 11am (not going to say where or how deep we were, just in case the culprits read these.......hey you never know) and within 5 minutes I spotted a big fat pregnant 9 foot BULL SHARK!!!!! She was swimming about 100 feet from us and she was accompanied by another smaller Bull Shark. I banged on my tank to get their attention because at first I didn't know for sure if it was a Shark because it was right at the end of visibility. They came a little bit closer and there they were, beautiful as ever. Then about 5 minutes later we spotted two more and I know they were different because one was really pregnant, but not nearly as big as the first and the other came super close and had a hook in its mouth. The biggest one I can confidently say was around 9ft. A smaller one around 6ft came within 10 feet of us. I was so happy when I saw them I felt like it was my first time seeing them. Where I saw them, no one knows and no one will know because if it wasn't for the massive traffic to the Bull Shark dive, they probably wouldn't have been killed, or at least that many wouldn't have. Just a wonderful day all around, this one dive made up for the last two weeks. They are still here and they are still as magnificently beautiful as always!

It's great that some survivors are still in the area or migrated into it in spite of the recent losses. I still hope that much more is done to protect them as the recent loss was a big hit on the local population and gene pool.

I know some of the dive shops hate losing the business, but I think that chummed shark dives are a large part of the problem as such teaches the sharks to associate food with boats as well as locates the sharks for the fishermen to slaughter. Dive where you want, but no feeding.

great news ... agree about feeding them though, don't think that helps things. can't wait to dive with the bull sharks at the end of December!

Well, without chumming, you don't get the same show. I was on a liveaboard in the Exumas (eastern Bahamas) once and we did a dive where other Ops did chum, except we didn't. We formed a circle and knelled on the bottom just like the other Ops, just no feeding. A few sharks came to look but didn't stick around and certainly didn't zoom thru the group. They still associated the boat with food but had learned to be leery of false shows.

Other locations also offer chummed shark dives, which do attract sharks. Injuries and deaths to divers have been kept at minimums.

I posted this on another forum yesterday regarding the dive I did with Abyss Dive on Thursday:

I've signed the petition and I just want to let those who care so much about this that the sharks are back. I did a strictly observation dive yesterday. 4 of us with a dive master linked arms and descended together about 80 feet and knelt in the sand. For 30 or so minutes we did not move and observed 10 to 12 bullsharks, remoras, and a ray (not sure what kind). The sharks are beautiful and some were pregnant. The saddest part was observing one shark with fishing hook stuck in it's mouth. They are very gentle and beautiful creatures. The were very curious about us and circled us but were completely non aggressive. The dive was taped for educational purposes and I hope to have a link.

This was one of the greatest 30 minutes of my life and I could not stop crying in the dive boat on the way back to the shop. I was just so overwhelmed with the experience. Truly remarkable.

I was there and just came back from Coz on Nov 27 but on our trip over to PDC was told that the sharks had been fished out legally by the fisherman. He did have permits...

I went on a dive Saturday with Scorpio Divers, and we had maybe 5-6 bulls come check us out! It was pretty awesome, the came almost within touching distance. (not that anyone was trying to touch them!!)

I was there and just came back from Coz on Nov 27 but on our trip over to PDC was told that the sharks had been fished out legally by the fisherman. He did have permits...

Legal, apparently yes - the bulls are essentially unprotected. Responsible, sustainable fishing management, the right thing to do, and forward-thinking? Not so much. This, we hope we can change.

I went on a dive Saturday with Scorpio Divers, and we had maybe 5-6 bulls come check us out! It was pretty awesome, the came almost within touching distance. (not that anyone was trying to touch them!!)

SWEET! I had two offers to dive with them (the sharks, that is) this week, and couldn't do either due to work 'n stuff... so jealous!

I am heading to PDC in a couple of weeks. I am really torn on the whole chummed shark dive proposition but at this point think it is something to try once to get a more imformed perspective on. Any recommendations for dive shops that offer bull shark dives but do not chum would also be appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom