The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are a few pics from this morning's dive taken by my wife!

DSC_3748.jpg
Forget all those other pictures, you have a Warty Side Gill Sea Slug!

They feed at night, but find nooks and crannies to sleep in during the day. I have only seen one on the hunt and I got a picture of it... It's too bad the night dive was full of rookie divers that night. I could only get one shot of it and someone was attempting to be nice by shining a 15 watt orange light on it while I shot the pic. I tried to get him to put it away and take the shot with my focus light, but he just kept the video light on the subject... Oh well, I have it around here in one of my BHB postings

During the night, they generally unravel themselves and become flat with protruding antenna. Look at this picture you have taken, notice the right side... That is where he will open up and show his antenna at night while hunting.

Nice find!

Awesome! We've seen them a few times, can't recall if it was only night dives or not.

Jet, we keep diving the same water and I know Jenny. Have we met? I was the big kinda clumsy guy there this morning wearing white Seawing fins.

I don't remember a big kinda clumsy guy. But then again by yesterday morning I was pretty sleep deprived. Hopefully we'll met one of these days! If the sun is up I'm wearing red Ray Bans.

Here are a few pics from this morning's dive taken by my wife!

DSC_3775.jpg

I LOVE this photo! "Clam? What clam?"

Up before dawn this morning for the 7:05 high tide. I am seriously whipped. I was up all night Fri-Sat doing the 12m-4a shift in KL cradling whales in my arms, BHB Sat twilight, Blue Wild Expo Sunday and BHB again today. See what happens when Tall Guy goes out of town: I play waaaay too hard! I need to get back to work so I can relax.

Anyhoo ... here are some photos from Sat and this morning. Today I was pretty much a tour guide. Seahorses for JEM. Frogfish for KW (thanks for the intel, J&C). Sailfin Blennies for Video Dude. Rich joined us mid-dive (nice to meet you!) and I managed to produce a spotted eagle ray. :D

Another octo from KW & my dive on Sat:
View attachment 95684

I found "Pink"
View attachment 95686

And near the end ... glorious in the morning sun
View attachment 95685

Nice pinky. PM me the location, but not sure when I can back up there. I go back to full time work tomorrow.

We worked with the whales for the midnight to 4:00 AM shift Sunday night/Monday morning. What a rewarding experience.

We went to BHB saturday afternoon for the first time with my wife, We loved it! It is a shame that not everyone respects the location.

Things I did not like:
1) A lady getting arrested as I was driving in, 2) Groups of people with knee's on the bottom kicking everything up, 3) One poor little octopi surrounded by it looked like a high school biology class or something...4) A dude with a bucket right when I got there it had a cleaner shrimp in it...

We went to BHB saturday afternoon for the first time with my wife, We loved it! It is a shame that not everyone respects the location.

Things I did not like:
1) A lady getting arrested as I was driving in,

That would have made my day.

2) Groups of people with knee's on the bottom kicking everything up,

Perhaps we should start posting the instructor's name in these instances.

4) A dude with a bucket right when I got there it had a cleaner shrimp in it...

Simply tilt the bucket on it side. :)

We could begin a video "wall of shame" where we list youtube videos of all classes with kneeling and silting going on in the main area of BHB--and we will NOT embarass any doing these silting drills AS LONG AS THEY keep to the east bridge area where the silt they kick up will wash straight through under the east bridge.
This would only be "fair" if we could think of a way to alert 100% of the instructors to this "agreement between all BHB divers" :)

We could begin a video "wall of shame" where we list youtube videos of all classes with kneeling and silting going on in the main area of BHB--and we will NOT embarass any doing these silting drills AS LONG AS THEY keep to the east bridge area where the silt they kick up will wash straight through under the east bridge.
This would only be "fair" if we could think of a way to alert 100% of the instructors to this "agreement between all BHB divers" :)

What next Dan? Let us limit it to female divers on the west, male divers under the boats on the 1st & 3rd weekend & flip that for the 2nd & 4th? And students only at slack low tide & then only on the east & when that reopens only north side of the west bridge? Everyone has a right to dive here wherever they choose. No one likes the stir up but must instructors take their students away from the crowd for the kneeling skills. I went almost as far south of the west span as I could & was surprised to find a group doing skills there. I swam to a spot further away & yes they later did swim past me but it was in a straight line from where they had been & they tried to miss my little spot. The better the weather the more divers. Deal with it & complain to your buddies but don't start asking for limits as you never know what might happen when you open Pandoras box.
PS I kneel on the sand a lot & I wear more weight so I can do that without moving & as much as I try I still stir up sand on occcasion. Mea culpa
Deb

What next Dan? Let us limit it to female divers on the west, male divers under the boats on the 1st & 3rd weekend & flip that for the 2nd & 4th? And students only at slack low tide & then only on the east & when that reopens only north side of the west bridge? Everyone has a right to dive here wherever they choose. No one likes the stir up but must instructors take their students away from the crowd for the kneeling skills. I went almost as far south of the west span as I could & was surprised to find a group doing skills there. I swam to a spot further away & yes they later did swim past me but it was in a straight line from where they had been & they tried to miss my little spot. The better the weather the more divers. Deal with it & complain to your buddies but don't start asking for limits as you never know what might happen when you open Pandoras box.
PS I kneel on the sand a lot & I wear more weight so I can do that without moving & as much as I try I still stir up sand on occcasion. Mea culpa
Deb

I hate rules myself, but if any instructors still use the highly discredited method of overweighting divers to knell in the sand in order to accoplish skills, then there ought to be a bit of hell to pay. Just my 2psi worth...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom