The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has it been that long that you don't remember your OW class and how hard it was to manage the gear, etc. Now, imagine the instructor has 4 students and wants to get a single piece of information across to each one of them... But, since they are properly buoyant and don't have other skills, they are all over the place looking at things other than the instructor.

If you tell me you were taught properly when you took OW and did not kneel for the instructor to review, I will call lier, lier, pants on fire! How is it that you know more about training a class than seasoned instructors? Come down off the soap box and get real IJS...

Kevin Metz of Underwater Explorers would be more than willing to have others watch one of his OW classes as ScubaJenny and Dan are referring...

Kevin Metz of Underwater Explorers would be more than willing to have others watch one of his OW classes as ScubaJenny and Dan are referring...
I know for a fact that most of Kevin's instruction is one-on-one or two on one. A completely different experience than 4 or 6 to one

I know for a fact that most of Kevin's instruction is one-on-one or two on one. A completely different experience than 4 or 6to one

I am sure Kevin will appreciate the notice that his classes are not runneth over with students. :)

And I've been run over by classes of 15-20 at BHB.. NO control there by the instructor... friggin silt fest...

View attachment 95762View attachment 95763

Here are a couple of shots from last night. One is of an octopus appearing to dispute intrusion by paparazzi (my buddy - who was absolutely entranced by the attempted camera grab), and the other a critter we'd never seen - best guess is that it's an Atlantic sidegill slug. Can anyone confirm that ID for us? And to the guy that grabbed our runaway dive flag...thank you!

That photo of the octo is really cool! It reminds me of the one on page 16 of this thread. I know ... don't say it .... :dork2:

The Bridge is an optimum location for dive training. Not sure how both you and Dan started diving, but I would imagine you didn't start out are experts in bouyancy control.

We take our students to the east and away from the crowds. We properly weight our students as much as possible, but kneeling on the bottom to review skills is necessary. Just think of the mess new divers would be making if not properly weighted and are struggling to stay down.

P.S Even when I dive the bridge for fun, I head east to stay away from the "experts". : ) If you don't like sharing, go somewhere else...The Bridge is a busy place.

Guys, I NEVER said students should not be taught at the BHB. And I am not going to harass the instructors that have large classes of kneeling students, as long as they do this by the EAST bridge.... this should be fair, because it is EXTREMELY LIKELY that they will be silting heavily. Since they are learning skills, they don't need to be on top of reef or octopus or frogfish, etc.

I am not sure why it is so wrong for me to make suggestions about keeping silting in an area where it will not degrade the diving experience for everyone else....

When the students are taken accross the western and nicer parts of the BHB, I thinnk it would be a nice gesture to make sure the students are not 10 pounds too heavy and kangarooing along the bottom :)

That photo of the octo is really cool! It reminds me of the one on page 16 of this thread.

Yes, it was a lot of fun. I hadn't seen the pic on p16, but they can be cheeky little beasts, can't they? Ours grabbed her finger and didn't want to let go. Then after she gently pulled free, it went straight for the camera. I was lucky on the shot because my camera was shaking from my laughter. I love diving this bridge !

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom