The cost of excellence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

they can't afford not to pass the first time through.

If you can't afford to the Time and expense of a re-evaluation then you definitely can't afford Tech1 or Cave1.

It always was an exam, even when it wasn't.

Yup

I believe you all have valid points on GUE fundamentals and how its acquired. Its interesting that its of high interest to take the premier before the fundamentals, only to step into tech 1 and so on. That just shows how it really is a "test" combined with a steep learning curve.

Either way, its a challenge, or in football terms, a tryout towards a journey of becoming a great diver. I'm going to get in touch with the S.fla team and hopefully they can take me out and help develop me into a better diver. Therefore, after some time, I may be able to step right into the fundies class without being embarrassed.

Thank you all for your help and discussion. If you have any more input, I'm a sponge for knowledge.

Regards,

Lydon

Therefore, after some time, I may be able to step right into the fundies class without being embarrassed.

Where's the fun in that?? I'm looking forward to greatly embarrassing myself in my Fundies class! It's how you're going to get the most of the bucks you are shelling out for the instructor's time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of getting mentorship to help you with your overall diving. But I'm also a fan of things coming in due time. Some of the best lessons I ever learned were when I Did It Wrong, makes you appreciate all those who have gone before you and opened a path to "Right." It's one reason why I choose to dive with divers of many different skill levels and training philosophies, generally re-affirming my choice to take a certain path with my diving education but sometimes allowing fascinating insights into why we do the things we do.

Peace,
Greg

Therefore, after some time, I may be able to step right into the fundies class without being embarrassed.

Ha! Good luck with that. I would hope any good coach or instructor will always push you past your limits :D!

If you are looking to build a solid foundation I wouldn't get too caught up on the pass/fail aspect of Fundies -- Use the class to learn new skills. Then master them and test.

One advantage to having a local instructors is--if you need a check out dive after Fundies to earn a "pass" it shouldn't be a big deal

Richard, when I used the word "afford", I didn't necessarily mean money. For some people, the logistics involved in getting an instructor and classmates for a Fundies class are so complicated that they feel they HAVE to pass the first time through, because it's so unlikely they'd be able to do it all again.

Richard, when I used the word "afford", I didn't necessarily mean money. For some people, the logistics involved in getting an instructor and classmates for a Fundies class are so complicated that they feel they HAVE to pass the first time through, because it's so unlikely they'd be able to do it all again.

Then how realistic is Tech1 or Cave1 or more then? Most technical divers I know have the vacation and disposable income to either fly in an instructor or fly to get the training/dives/experiences they desire. If they don't have the vacation/money/buddies then they won't be able to do the dives post class anyway - which is where the real learning takes place. And you aren't really ever going to advance to the higher levels with pickup buddies, even if they are T2/C2.

Some agencies are ok certifying once a year vacation tech/cave divers, but GUE has never really been like this - as their ongoing experience expectations illustrate.

If you are just taking GUE-F "recreationally" then there's definately no need to get worked up about passing.

Yes. I really think the biggest problem with Fundies is that, in the five years since I took it, it really has become to a great extent an exam, rather than a class. This is a product of the fact that many people take it, not for the skills, but for the access to higher classes, and they can't afford not to pass the first time through.

This can alleviated by the instructors scheduling classes appropriately. Combining classes with participants who are tech pass ready with those needing instruction is a recipe for disaster.

The more experienced instructors I have come to learn will accomendate this situation by providing an intern to work with the student(s) who need instruction thereby freeing the instructor to work directly with testing the ready divers...

Well, I think the same problem occurs with Tech 1 and Cave 1, to some extent. Whenever you have big logistical issues, the pressure is on. But I think there are a fair number of people who have decent technical diving available to them but no GUE instructor nearby, so they can do the dives themselves without too much trouble, if they can get through the class. Caves, not so much. If you live where they are, you have instructors at hand; if you don't live where they are, you probably won't be interested in the class unless you can afford to travel to do the dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom