The cost of excellence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While classes where the whole team is compatible in terms of goals, motivations and skill level are "easier" to run and tend to be smoother, unless the instructor is local to the community and goes into the class knowing the students already, it can be difficult to know this in advance of the class.

As to your other point, even if students come into the class "tech pass ready", the class should never just be an "exam" or a "test' (whether that is the perception or not). Even very strong teams should be able to improve and learn alot from the class.

To the OP: Get in touch with Dean; he'll get you pointed in the right direction.

This can alleviated by the instructors scheduling classes appropriately. Combining classes with participants who are tech pass ready with those needing instruction is a recipe for disaster.

The more experienced instructors I have come to learn will accomendate this situation by providing an intern to work with the student(s) who need instruction thereby freeing the instructor to work directly with testing the ready divers...

While classes where the whole team is compatible in terms of goals, motivations and skill level are "easier" to run and tend to be smoother, unless the instructor is local to the community and goes into the class knowing the students already, it can be difficult to know this in advance of the class.

As to your other point, even if students come into the class "tech pass ready", the class should never just be an "exam" or a "test' (whether that is the perception or not). Even very strong teams should be able to improve and learn alot from the class.

To the OP: Get in touch with Dean; he'll get you pointed in the right direction.

The ideal situation is for several divers to assemble their own class solving most all such issues. In the absence of this senario, instructors spending time reviewing pre-class profiles and speaking directly with each class member is a common sence approach to correctly assemblying a class. I am sure this is what transpires in most cases.

I live 5 minutes from Dean's LDS and yes both he and Bob have me on the right track. Thank you for the tip however. :thumb:

Another great suggestion :)!

I am currently receiving mentoring (lessons) from a local GUE instructor to sharpen up for my tec pass check out dives. You are very much welcome to join us. Please PM if interested. Scott

I live 5 minutes from Dean's LDS and yes both he and Bob have me on the right track. Thank you for the tip however. :thumb:

Scott will be able to point you in the right direction!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom