The Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
You need to watch this docu-movie. It is certainly revealing of the pure evil and human depravity that is exemplified by the Japanese dolphin murderers. It is sick.

It reminds me of another low point in human history but I am not going to mention it. Why are humans so hell bent determined to destroy everything beautiful?

N

You need to watch this docu-movie. It is certainly revealing of the pure evil and human depravity that is exemplified by the Japanese dolphin murderers. It is sick.

It reminds me of another low point in human history but I am not going to mention it. Why are humans so hell bent determined to destroy everything beautiful?

N

I've watched it when it was released here in Singapore. It was encouraging to see the cinema full of people.

Yup it is sick to see what is happening. Ultimately it is about money, and when there is demand, there is supply. One of the main point the movie was trying to bring across was that by visiting those mega oceanariums or whatever they are called and participating in their 'swim with dolphins' activities, we are actually fueling the demand and playing our part in the hunting of these dolphins unknowingly. Now that this issue has been brought to light, I've personally decided to boycott any such activities even though I would really like too get a chance to interact with dolphins.

Yeah, it is the "Flipper" industry but then after they select the show specimens they murder thousands for meat. The one dolphin that was running terrified and frantic with a spear hole in his side gushing blood as he tried to escape is enough to turn your stomach.

I could almost live with the dolphin slave industry but the murder and slaughter is just completely beyond description.

N

Completely agree. Its really disheartening to think that in this day and age these types of atrocities still go on. I guess its not surprising that we do such terrible things to helpless animals when we can't even learn to live in harmony with our fellow humans.

I watched it last night and was disgusted.

Emotional responses aside (dolphins are "cute", highly intelligent & I really do hope to encounter some in the wild as long as they haven't watched "The Cove" and are bent on revenge) the senselessness of the slaughter is shocking. With the high levels of mercury (& who knows what other toxins) the meat is unsafe to eat.

I wonder how many of the so-called animal rights activists that are still incredibly vocal about the seal harvest drive Toyotas?

They only murder the rest of the dolphins and sell them off as meat so that they can use the consumption of dolphin meat as a 'tradition' excuse. There is basically no demand for the meat, as the cove team uncovered. The fishermen even had to sell the dolphin meat as whale meat. Its quite disgusting to see how they try to invent a whole new tradition to divert attention away from the selling of dolphins to industry, where the real financial benefits are.

They only murder the rest of the dolphins and sell them off as meat so that they can use the consumption of dolphin meat as a 'tradition' excuse. There is basically no demand for the meat, as the cove team uncovered. The fishermen even had to sell the dolphin meat as whale meat. Its quite disgusting to see how they try to invent a whole new tradition to divert attention away from the selling of dolphins to industry, where the real financial benefits are.

Maybe it is a tradition, maybe it is not, I don't know. I do know tradition or not it is wrong, this is the 21st Century and some native people may just have evolve. I think like you say, they are trying to contrive a reason to justify extermination for money.

I don't mean this to be a bash Japan thread, not like they are the only ones who do bad things. This needs to be stopped and it does happen to be in Japan in this instance and it is particularly horrible.

I believe that higher mammals are cognitive and aware, sorry, I know that is not Human PC where we use "they are just animals" to justify our collective cruelty. Well, we are animals, and we are mammals, and in this case I am not sure we represent the higher from.

It is not Japan as a nation or a people, it is those fisherman and the Japanese government that is allowing this contrived "tradition" to occur. They can stop it.

N

I saw a dolphin show in Port Elisabeth many years ago. It was a wonderful experience.
A couple of years ago whilst divng in the sound of Jura I was buzzed by a pod of wild dolphins. They had young wiith them and I was quite alarmed not sure how they would respond, one of them stopped and figuratively sat on its tail and checked me out. I felt I was the inferior being.

Maybe it is a tradition, maybe it is not, I don't know. I do know tradition or not it is wrong, this is the 21st Century and some native people may just have evolve. I think like you say, they are trying to contrive a reason to justify extermination for money.

I don't mean this to be a bash Japan thread, not like they are the only ones who do bad things. This needs to be stopped and it does happen to be in Japan in this instance and it is particularly horrible.

I believe that higher mammals are cognitive and aware, sorry, I know that is not Human PC where we use "they are just animals" to justify our collective cruelty. Well, we are animals, and we are mammals, and in this case I am not sure we represent the higher from.

It is not Japan as a nation or a people, it is those fisherman and the Japanese government that is allowing this contrived "tradition" to occur. They can stop it.

N

The problem as I see it from the movie is that there wasn't such a tradition in the first place and that the fishermen were trying to create this tradition, in order to legitimize their acts. The fact that they had to sell it off as whale meat and give a large chunk of it to schools showed that there were not any real demand for dolphin meat amongst the Japanese population. (Whale meat is another matter though). After the movie raised attention to this problem, so far I think the killing had stopped, but the fishermen still rounded up the dolphins to sell off to aquariums. This indicate for me that the sale of dolphins to aquariums is indeed the primary aim of the rounding up of dolphins, and that this is no tradition of the Japanese.

Back
Top Bottom