the DIR moniker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We go by the agency itself, GUE or UTD diver around here. I prefer to not use the term DIR in mixed company, as that implies others are Doing It Wrong (and that just brings drama).

And don't forget - Gooey Diver :D

Peace,
Greg

DIR is easily said and understood. I'll keep using it.

I like that. I am not enamored with any phrase that contains unified or collective these days. :wink:

Eventually, the same people who found "R" to be offensive would find "The" to be offensive.

On that note:

I prefer to not use the term DIR in mixed company, as that implies others are Doing It Wrong (and that just brings drama).

That's an inference, not an implication. I could call it The System, and the same person would likely complain "The" implies that it's the ONLY system. Which would also be an inference, and miles from the point.

The true implication is the parenthetical appendix. DIR (for me). Similar to Joel's forum on DMx: DW2 (for him).

It's all about what's right and what works for you and for your team (if you lean that way). Complaints about proper nouns are misguided.

Why does there need to be a separate name? Isn't that what created all the tension in the first place?

How about "diver"?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I do think UTD came really close with "unified team diving" as it indicates that the team is unified in procedure, purpose, training, etc.

Speaking as someone who does brand/corporate identity for a living, I think UTD is adequate for those who already know what it means. To the outside world, I suspect it focuses too much on the standard connotation of the word "team" too much on a "physical unity" and most likely conveys something very different than what we know it to mean. For some reason, I get this visual...

image.axd

Eventually the same people who found "R" to be offensive with find "The" to be offensive.

DIR is easily understood, and it's easy to stay. I'll keep using it.

I disagree though. "R" was by any measure inflammatory. "The" is much less controversial IMO...

I've actually given this a fair amount of thought, in my self-appointed role as ambassadress and evangelizer -- and I've given up and just use DIR, despite the issues with the term, because I can't come up with anything better. (Well, I did, but it got coopted.)

I've actually given this a fair amount of thought, in my self-appointed role as ambassadress and evangelizer -- and I've given up and just use DIR, despite the issues with the term, because I can't come up with anything better. (Well, I did, but it got coopted.)

How about...

The collective. :D

When did it just become a gear configuration :wink:

where the body goes, the mind will follow :wink:

If you build it, they will come...

(just for the record, i'm not saying for one second that it's just a gear config, but the hope is, if divers are attempting to adopt the gear config, that their minds will also open up to the concepts behind 'why' the gear is configured the way it's configured, its a pull not push sell)

I disagree though. "R" was by any measure inflammatory. "The" is much less controversial IMO...

Sav-on and CVS don't complain about Rite-Aid. They offer what they feel to be competitive prices and services and go about their business. If they did complain about "Rite," they'd be justifiably laughed at in the court of public opinion.

I suspect that those who complain about the "R" want something to argue about but find it difficult to impeach the actual philosophy so they go after the name.

(there is an implication in the above :D)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom