The economy and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been terrified for my LDS, because I adore them, but the owner keeps assuring me that they're doing fine, even great.

I think diving isn't a sport for a lot of people. It's an addiction. Addicts find ways to pay for their habits, even when other things like food and shelter have to suffer :D

You nailed it! Anyother hobby of mine got like this I dont think I would still be doing it,but I cant quit SCUBA! It wont let me its apart of me! Lol i will sell my kidney, blood(already done that) what ever it take to keep those tanks filled!

Why the gloom and doom?

Things come and go in cycles. Nobody complained in the run-up to the stock market crash in 2001 and nobody complained much two years ago before the housing crash and associated stock market crash. It'll come back, sooner or later. Just hang tough.

Once you have your own gear, what do you care what it costs the next person? As long as you own your own tanks and can get them filled, what's the big problem? If you can't get them filled, buy a compressor. If you want Nitrox, learn to blend it yourself.

No whining! It's undignified.

Richard

I live in south Georgia about 45 minutes from Jacksonville FL there was 6 dive shops with equipment
in the area now there are 4. The dive shops that market hard; center there focus on clubs and events that are price point sales will survive the economic times. People will always find away to blow off steam and do something they love.

Why the gloom and doom?

Things come and go in cycles. Nobody complained in the run-up to the stock market crash in 2001 and nobody complained much two years ago before the housing crash and associated stock market crash. It'll come back, sooner or later. Just hang tough.

Once you have your own gear, what do you care what it costs the next person? As long as you own your own tanks and can get them filled, what's the big problem? If you can't get them filled, buy a compressor. If you want Nitrox, learn to blend it yourself.

No whining! It's undignified.

Richard

LOL maybe i like seeing other ppl get into the sport! Diving is one big club to me once your in your in forever so I do care what the next person has to pay cuz I would hate someone not enjoy this great thing we have cuz they cant afford it! Its not really doom and gloom its reality. Just wish I could only think about myself and be happy go lucky like you!

Your right, no doom and gloom, no whining. Enjoy the light crowds, just before the dive operations sink into the sunset.

Dang a party with free booze and dive equipment discounts and no one goes, what is wrong with Florida?

Your right, no doom and gloom, no whining. Enjoy the light crowds, just before the dive operations sink into the sunset.

Dang a party with free booze and dive equipment discounts and no one goes, what is wrong with Florida?
Maybe too much parties with free booze? Which means I need to get my ass over there and have a look at the dive sites thats apparently not too crowded and the parties with apparently plenty of beer :p

LOL maybe i like seeing other ppl get into the sport! Diving is one big club to me once your in your in forever so I do care what the next person has to pay cuz I would hate someone not enjoy this great thing we have cuz they cant afford it! Its not really doom and gloom its reality. Just wish I could only think about myself and be happy go lucky like you!

There isn't one thing you or I can do about it.

My 401k's are down probably 50% and that's a ton of money out the window. Sure, I'm concerned. But there isn't anything I can do about it.

If the dive industry fails it is because they can't adapt. But unlike the automakers, they won't get a bailout. So, they better change their ways or close the doors. Again, there's nothing I can do about it.

The ocean will always be there and there will always be the opportunity to dive. If others can't afford to get into the sport, well, there's nothing I can do about it. I am supporting 4 divers as it is.

But the last time I went to Breakwater (Monterey, CA) the place was packed. There were no parking places and there were divers all over the beach. This was about 3 months ago so it was pretty recent. If diving is falling off, you wouldn't know it from the beach and it's been like that every time I've been there.

The fact that a few shops close just isn't important in the scheme of things. Those that remain will be more competitive. Like everything else on this planet, the rule is simple: survival of the fittest. Compete or die.

Plan on the economy getting a whole lot worse. There are some experts that believe the Dow will get into the 4000s. My broker laughed when I told him last year that I thought we would get down to 9000. I don't think he's chuckling any more. There's a good chance the government will stall the economic engine and when they do it could get very bad. Once consumers quit spending, it is very difficult to get the economy restarted.

Do not expect the economy to pick up in early 2009 Consumer Confidence Index - The Conference Board Consumer confidence just isn't there. People don't buy stuff when they're worried about losing their jobs and homes.

The dive industry's hurting but there's nothing I can do about it.

So, there's no point worrying about it.

Richard

The problem with people panicing and stop spending is that thats exactly how they lose their jobs. A self-forfulling profecy right there. If people dont spend, people cant sell and go out of buisness..

In theory SCUBA should be a cheap hobby after paying say $2000 in upfront costs (that should be enough for a basic BCD, reg, octo, computer, weights, wetsuit, 2 tanks, and OW cerfiication). After that keep the gear for 10 years and all it costs you is tank fills, gas to drive to the site, and occasionally maintenance on your gear.

In reality, most people will probably never be satisfied with what they have, they want more equipment, better equipment, more classes, boat diving instead of shore diving, diving vacations, etc. So scuba could be done relatively cheaply (after that upfront investment) but most people aren't going to be satisfied.

When the economy goes down, diving will suffer like everything else. Some people may simply stop / not start diving, others may continue but put off the things that tend to hurt their pocket books (new gear, new courses, etc.). How much it will hurt, I have no idea.

Personally, I don't think it will affect me majorly, but I should know more by next month.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom