The Grand Traverse in Peacock Springs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, you don't have AOW?

In my view, a cave diver puts the preservation of the cave and the welfare of the cave community ahead of personal goals.
More than that, I put my personal safety well ahead of both of those. :D

This won't happen before the first of the year at this point. I will do this at some point though. Not to prove a point, but because it would just be a lot of fun. All of my diving is motivated by having fun.

, full cave means almost NOTHING.

It must have some meaning and it must be respected by the cave diving community for our sport to have access to sites,and land owner trust. I have negotiated access for several places that you presently enjoy diving,and it is important to assure the land owner that there are some standards and limits that we follow. Landowners already find the certification alphabet soup very confusing,almost to the point that they would almost not have to deal with it,so there are some people who work very hard in the back ground to add clarity. If cave divers find ways to circumnavigate rules with hazy logic,then it becomes very difficult to gain and protect access to sites because landowners have been told these are the cert levels,and we as a community follow them. It may seem harsh to tell people you can't do a certain dive due to training level,and work to protect this inferred contract we have with landowners,but from a purely selfish stand point,it protects the sites we access.

from a purely selfish stand point,it protects the sites we access.
I'm OK with that. Feelings are easier to heal than sites are to open.
04.gif
Plus, if you're diving often and don't have full cave, chances are you're violating standards, something I think is especially common at the intro level.

How about this? Take full cave and stop bending the rules. (yes, I bent/broke lots of rules, and I finally took it, so my money is where my mouth is)

I can even recommend an instructor close to you, who's so good that any honest opinion about him or his students gets deleted and the user banned!

I agree 100%, its pretty sad that these posts were deleted. I didn't know that the user was banned!! He/she will probably just register under a new name and keep posting.....lol

I always find it funny when people receive cert cards and are not clear the limits of their training. Even worse when it comes from a dive instructor and professional. I'm not saying that I've never pushed the limits, but rather if I did, I was at least cognizant of it... :idk:

I always find it funny when people receive cert cards and are not clear the limits of their training. Even worse when it comes from a dive instructor and professional. I'm not saying that I've never pushed the limits, but rather if I did, I was at least cognizant of it... :idk:

Agreed, and NetDoc is a NAUI instructor.

Agreed, and NetDoc is a NAUI instructor.
Actually, I did not renew this year for several reasons. I have never been a tech instructor for them.

Here we have a case of an agency not making training standards very clear. Is it fair to criticize someone for not knowing what defined a traverse when naui makes it basically impossible to find their definition of it?

I agree ita confusing and agencies aren't necessary helping. I also agree it's important to set and keep to limits.

I'm not familiar with NAUI standards, but the agencies I teach through all state in their standards when planning and executing traverses and circuits must be taught. To clarify, traverses and circuits do not have to be completed (air consumption might prevent this), but they must be taught. This alone tells me they are not allowed under training standards prior to that level.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom