The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'll definitely save money buying online.

And that is hard to say since I help run a shop. Just be prepared to cause some hurt feelings at you LDS. Nothing that can't be smoothed over tho. As long as you get great service from your gear you never have to worry, if you have a problem, need any tweaking or adjusting, be prepared to pay for it. Don't expect you LDS to do it for free because, remember, you saved a bundle buying it online, and buying dive boots or mouthpieces once in a while doesn't qualify you for the "good" customer extras.

Is it just me, or have a bunch of these same kind of threads been popping up here lately.

Having said that, I purchased my BC and reg from an LDS, as my psyche feels better that the complicated, life essential gear will be warrantied and taken care of locally. Most of my othere gear/accessories have been online: knife, mask, fins, light, bungee, clips, etc. Definitely saved a whole bunch of money, even with just that stuff online.

Not being rude here, but this is beating a dead horse. This question has been asked a dozen times.

Do a search on the subject and revive an old thread before starting a new one......"What is old, is now new again".....

Good luck with the answers.....:)

Genesis,

While I think you mean well, what you don't know about economics and dive shops could fill an ocean. There is nothing so bad as a zealot with a cause. They defy reason and the truth to pursue their agenda.

You don't have a clue as to why things are as they are and blame manufacturers for pricing. You also misuse terms and don't know what they mean.

I get paid for instructing so I'm not about to tell you all the reasons you are wrong and how things work. I will give you a few things to think about and point you in the right direction should you wish to cure your ignorance (compounded by sounding off when you don't know what you are talking about)

First, diving gear is not a commodity item. There is no substantial difference between true commodities. There is a difference from one brand of diving gear to another. Some of it is downright dangerous

Next, what you call price fixing is not price fixing. Price fixing is illegal in the U.S. Learn what fair trade pricing is, why it was created and why it still exists.

You claim most manufacturers do not allow their gear to be discounted or discounted very little. I know of three who have such limits and many that have none at all. Unlike you, I know why many dive shops prefer the brands that have limits on discounting. It’s not hard to find out.

There was a time when Leisure Pro did remove serial numbers from gear they sold. There was a website complete with pictures that proved it. LP doesn’t do it anymore and claimed ignorance of the serial numbers being removed. I think the dive shops that mentioned serial numbers are not lying, just out of date.

More recently, Leisure Pro also sold counterfeit ScubaPro BCs. This was reported in Undercurrent, Look it up. Again, they claimed ignorance even though the difference was clear to anyone who knew scuba gear. They are either incompetent and don’t know what is going on in their own store or they are lying.

You mentioned your own business, changing your business model and getting many more times the number of customers. How much is the dive business like the computer business? How much of an increase do you think an LDS would be likely to get? How much of an increase in business would they need if they lowered their margin by 25%? How likely is it that they would get that kind of increase? How many ways can you say none?

A fair markup is one that covers the costs of the business. While it is true that manufacturers have different pricing levels so some shops will pay less than others will, a bigger difference is the volume of a shop. An LDS that has a high volume can afford to lower prices. This is an advantage mail order companies have. They are selling to a much larger audience than the LDS and the bigger ones will do a much greater amount of business. The large outlet stores in places like Key Largo and Florida City beat even LP largely because of volume. So many divers go through their doors that they can afford to discount prices substantially, Most LDS don’t have that option.

I agree with you that a lot of shops probably need to change. Making instruction a loss leader and making up for it on equipment puts pressure on gear sales. I think it was SSI that decided not to charge for instruction and give instructors a commission on gear sales instead. In a way, I admire them for their honesty though it might make matters worse.

The flip side is that without more new divers being certified, gear sales will drop from any source, LDS and mail order.

Again, you probably mean well, but know what you are talking about. You clearly don’t. You have the ability to educate yourself and fix that. As it is now, no one can take you seriously (nor should they).

While I think you mean well, what you don't know about economics and dive shops could fill an ocean. There is nothing so bad as a zealot with a cause. They defy reason and the truth to pursue their agenda.

Greed is the original cause of the death of truth and honesty.

You don't have a clue as to why things are as they are and blame manufacturers for pricing. You also misuse terms and don't know what they mean.

On the contrary; the dealers are the ones who are to "blame", as they are the ones doing the insisting. Talk to some of the manufacturers and you will find this out. Some of them are honest enough to discuss it if you ask nicely. Others are, well, let's just say that they are a lot like Uwatec's dive computer history in terms of honesty when it comes to issues....

I get paid for instructing so I'm not about to tell you all the reasons you are wrong and how things work. I will give you a few things to think about and point you in the right direction should you wish to cure your ignorance (compounded by sounding off when you don't know what you are talking about)

One red herring destroyed after another; I'll be more than happy to comply.

First, diving gear is not a commodity item. There is no substantial difference between true commodities. There is a difference from one brand of diving gear to another. Some of it is downright dangerous

Certainly it is a commodity item. That there are different brands of gasoline does not make gasoline less of a commodity. That there are different brands and grades of eggs, or rice, or orange juice does not make them less of a commodity. Ditto for meat. Never mind that some of the cuts of meat are only suitable for use as catfood.

Next, what you call price fixing is not price fixing. Price fixing is illegal in the U.S. Learn what fair trade pricing is, why it was created and why it still exists.

"Fair trade" pricing is a dodge around the law. So is the "limited discount" nonsense. Yes, its legal. Its legal due to a loophole in the black-letter way the law is written. It is, however, IMHO a clear ethical violation of the intent of the law, which is to make vertical price restraints unlawful.

Such "fair trade" pricing in other industries has attracted FTC attention in the past. Read the "Nine West" case for a near-perfect fit in terms of how Nine West controlled resale prices and how the scuba manufacturers attempt to do so. Nine West, by the way, settled their case and agreed to stop doing what they were doing.

You claim most manufacturers do not allow their gear to be discounted or discounted very little. I know of three who have such limits and many that have none at all. Unlike you, I know why many dive shops prefer the brands that have limits on discounting. It’s not hard to find out.

Of course I understand why they prefer those brands. That doesn't change my view of their protectionism.

There was a time when Leisure Pro did remove serial numbers from gear they sold. There was a website complete with pictures that proved it. LP doesn’t do it anymore and claimed ignorance of the serial numbers being removed. I think the dive shops that mentioned serial numbers are not lying, just out of date.

Really? What website? Where's the "proof"? Was it a disgruntled dive shop that bought some LP merchandise and THEMSELVES removed the serial numbers so they could make the claim?

To remove a serial number from a reg you'd have to GRIND IT OFF.

I believe that some disgruntled "retail" shop did this in an attempt to discredit a lower-cost seller. I find it very hard to believe that LP did this, particularly given that both I and others have purchased name-brand items from them that have arrived in factory-sealed packages.

More recently, Leisure Pro also sold counterfeit ScubaPro BCs. This was reported in Undercurrent, Look it up. Again, they claimed ignorance even though the difference was clear to anyone who knew scuba gear. They are either incompetent and don’t know what is going on in their own store or they are lying.

The difference was clear? Really? Apparently the gear in question was sourced from a real-live ScubaPro manufacturer. Now who lied to who? Good question. You don't think that the manufacturer would have had an incentive to lie about something like this, do you? (yeah, right.)

You mentioned your own business, changing your business model and getting many more times the number of customers. How much is the dive business like the computer business? How much of an increase do you think an LDS would be likely to get? How much of an increase in business would they need if they lowered their margin by 25%? How likely is it that they would get that kind of increase? How many ways can you say none?

Irrelavent. No consumer is responsible for establishing or maintaining a viable business model on the dealer's part. EVER. Your attempted point is a red herring without justification.

A fair markup is one that covers the costs of the business.

No. A fair markup is one that the consumer agrees to pay. It is set, in no small part, based on the competition. Attempting to drive a lower-priced competitor out of business by lying about their business practices and offerings is unethical at best, and should be reacted to by consumers in a manner that punishes the liar.

Whether that markup will support the business owner's choice of business practices and costs is not relavent to whether or not it is "fair".

While it is true that manufacturers have different pricing levels so some shops will pay less than others will, a bigger difference is the volume of a shop. An LDS that has a high volume can afford to lower prices. This is an advantage mail order companies have. They are selling to a much larger audience than the LDS and the bigger ones will do a much greater amount of business. The large outlet stores in places like Key Largo and Florida City beat even LP largely because of volume. So many divers go through their doors that they can afford to discount prices substantially, Most LDS don’t have that option.

Certainly they have many options. The shops just choose not to accept and work with them. Instead they try to lay the guilt trips on divers and outright lie to people. That's where its wrong.

I agree with you that a lot of shops probably need to change. Making instruction a loss leader and making up for it on equipment puts pressure on gear sales. I think it was SSI that decided not to charge for instruction and give instructors a commission on gear sales instead. In a way, I admire them for their honesty though it might make matters worse.

SSI? SSI as an agency is not a gear company.

The flip side is that without more new divers being certified, gear sales will drop from any source, LDS and mail order.

And? Pumping the "new diver" mentality and fleecing them sounds like something out of the penny stock business - and about as honest of a way to make a living as that one is.

Again, you probably mean well, but know what you are talking about. You clearly don’t. You have the ability to educate yourself and fix that. As it is now, no one can take you seriously (nor should they).

Really?

Truth is, for any random group of 4 divers, if you bought your gear from LP instead of the LDS you could also buy a compressor, and tell the shop to kiss your butt.

Of course the shops won't bother explaining any of that to you, because then their primary argument - "what 'ya gonna do when you force US out of business - get airfills from LP?" would go "poof."

So instead we have lies, deception, and other forms of chicanery and falsehood, all of which are calculated to keep the local shop in business.

The problem isn't that people are trying to make money - that's fine, and in fact, its how capitalism works. As an enterpreneur I not only understand but fully support capitalism!

The problem is that they're doing it by lying to people.

When the lying stops, so will my arguing against it.

It may be easy for a guy who lives in Florida, and presumably does a fair amount of diving, to justify the investment in a compressor of his own. Personally, I doubt if I'll buy enough fills in my lifetime to warrant a compressor of my own.

In fact, I suspect that a huge majority of the divers in the world are just like me, doing a relatively small number of dives each year, many of those dives away from home on holidays using resort supplied tanks or rentals. So a compressor just doesn't make sense for most of us except as one more toy.

So, if we don't have a compressor, how do we get our fills? Is it reasonable to expect a shop owner to survive on fills alone? Perhaps someone here can speak to that point knowledgeably? If not though, how does the LDS keep his shop open? Retail sales profits!

So let's go along with genesis when he says the profits are unreasonably high. Let's make the shop owners drop their margins to compete with the warehouse in Spain or wherever. How many shops can expect the sales volumes that LP or Diveinn gets? So he staffs the shop, organizes training sessions through instructors, invests in product to fill the shelves, takes the hit when someone walks in with a defective unit the day before they leave for Grand Cayman, and pays rent for the property out of reduced or non-existent profits from a limited clientel.

At what point does the shop owner throw in the towel? If he closes the shop, that's the end of the fill service as well, and the gear service, and the personal advice that's usually available free of charge from the shop, and the opportunity to test or try on new gear before buying, or a place to rent stuff you can't afford to own yet. Let's take the genesis philosophy to an extreme and break every lds in the world. Scuba diving, unlike the computer and internet industries, is very very small, and can never hope to generate the kinds of revenues and customer bases that those others do. I have yet to see a scuba department at Walmart. If there was any money to be made don't you think they'd be going after it?

So where does the world get it's fills now that all the lds's have been shut down through pressure to match the online cyberwarehouse prices? Who will do the little quick fixes that all divers need from time to time? Where will divers get to try on the bits that need sizing? I doubt that LP, even if I could drive around the corner to visit them, would take a minute to show me how to remove the inflator valve from my new slightly leaking drysuit and show me how to apply silicone grease to it, and then hand me a small tube of the grease to use later, and send me on my way ... free of charge.

Genesis is right in one thing he says "Greed is the original cause of the death of truth and honesty." but I think he misinterprets his own statement. Greed is going to be the cause of the death of the lds, and that's the truth. But it's not necessarily the lds's greed, but the greed of the shortsighted consumer who refuses to be honest about how important the lds really is to most divers in the world. That's where truth and honesty and greed comes into play.

BTW. I'm not an lds, an instructor or affiliated in any way with any dive shop. I am sorry to see the only dive shop in my own small currently closing down the retail end of the operation. Hopefully he can continue to make a go of it with rentals, trips, instruction and fills all done part time. If he can't, then I will have no shop closer than a 45 - 60 minute drive from my home.

Respectfully
JF

sung by the local photo retailer, and lots of other retailers as well, over the last 20 years or so as the internet (and Wal-Mart!) took over in many areas.

Have some retailers simply went bust? Yep. A lot of them.

Have they ALL gone bust? No.

Can you make it selling fills alone? Sure, in some areas. Will the cost of fills go up? Sure, in some areas. But not all.

Fill Express in south Florida sells fills for about HALF what most shops in other areas do. They sell almost EXCLUSIVELY fills! How? Volume.

So will the fill be more expensive where volume is low? Yes. The heavy customer will have an incentive to buy his or her own compressor - more so than today! The light customer will not, because the total cost of ownership is too high. They will, effectively, "band together" (via the fill shop) to buy the compressor they all (collectively) need, but none of them pumps the volume to afford.

But will your total cost of diving go up? No, it will go way, way down!

For the infrequent diver, who buys his own gear, the cost of diving is overwhelmingly in their hardware. Their cost will go way down.

For the frequent diver, they will be able to amortize the compressor cost over a reasonable time, and for THEM the cost of diving will ALSO go down!

Who loses? The people who have priced themselves out of the market. This is a problem? Why?

Are you owed some kind of margin in a business? No. Not one thin dime of margin, in fact.

I love Wal-Mart. It has dropped my cost of living percentage expended in the grocery store by at least 20% over the local chains, with no loss of quality.

This is bad?

I will only hit on a couple of points as no-one will change their issues and I don't feel like pointing out again how I feel about the large chain stores.

Now, you are telling me as I am a frequent diver, that if my dive shop goes under (which I assure you it won't) I should fill my own tanks. Ok, now I am supposed to go to the trouble to O2 clean my nice heavy steel tanks and find someone to do the visuals. I have to get trained and certified to mix my own gas as I use Nitrox nearly exclusively. I have to find a local source of medical grade oxygen. Oh BTW, the oxygen tanks that I have will have to be maintained as well. Oh, I forgot about the compressor and booster set-up to pump up to 3500 psi. and the maintaince on that.

Right now, I use Nitrox, but don't have O2 clean tanks. Why is this? Because my LDS maintains a nice clean preblended supply of EAN36. They don't PP blend below 36 percent. They can do this because they sell enough nitrox to make it worth it to them to maintain that system. The cost benefit to me: about 50 dollars a tank for all ten (so far) of my bottom mix tanks. I also can just walk in and get a nitrox fill in the same time as an air fill and for close to the price of an air fill. As the commercial says..... priceless.

This is on top of somebody to give advice on dive sites that I haven't been to and do quick repairs on my equipment free of charge. If they sell me a piece of gear with a problem, it gets replaced free of charge on the spot. I don't have to wait 3-4 weeks (longer sometimes) to get it replaced through mail order company. Again.... priceless (especially if I am planning a trip).

My point: don't overlook the intangibles (of which there are many) that are provided by a GOOD LDS. Many of us will pay the mark-up to keep a good shop in business. So, we will all have our preferences. Some people prefer to do everything themselves and not pay any extra money for everything. Some people will pay top dollar for extreme personal service (We had a retail store that used to send employees to peoples homes if they couldn't get out. They are out of business now, because nobody wanted to pay the mark-up for that kind of service.) Like many, I tend to fall somewhere in the middle. So we will all agree to disagree on this matter and that will not change.

I don't disagree that there are intangibles involved and that they have value. Not in the least.

However, for many of us they are weighted on the other side. My local shop, for example, charges $10 for a Nitrox fill - but $5 for air. Hyperfiltered air, I might add. So they charge me $5 for $0.50 worth of O2. That's a mighty fine mark-up!

The one place I have a disagreement with is this....

Now, you are telling me as I am a frequent diver, that if my dive shop goes under (which I assure you it won't) I should fill my own tanks. Ok, now I am supposed to go to the trouble to O2 clean my nice heavy steel tanks and find someone to do the visuals. I have to get trained and certified to mix my own gas as I use Nitrox nearly exclusively. I have to find a local source of medical grade oxygen. Oh BTW, the oxygen tanks that I have will have to be maintained as well. Oh, I forgot about the compressor and booster set-up to pump up to 3500 psi. and the maintaince on that.

Cleaning your own tanks is not exactly rocket science. Not do you "need" official VIPs if you're filling your own. Mixing your own gas is not exactly rocket science either, and ABO (aviator's breathing Oxygen) is readily - and cheaply - available.

There is no need for a booster unless you're pumping Trimix, and in some cases (such as a continuous mixer) not even in that case. For most Trimix mixes you'd want to do a continous mixer is just fine, since many of them are actually hypoxic and as such shouldn't cause your compressor any trouble.

I PP fill my own Nitrox; its not difficult in the least. While high pressure O2 can be dangerous, there are an awful lot of gas welders out there and you don't hear of them blowing themselves up.... they're all running around using high pressure O2 with the express intent of starting fires with it!

I've had two "tastes funny" fills in the last six months. Both came from a dive shop (a "free" fill with tank inspection or purchase.) Now what? Do I go BACK there and raise hell? Why? If their air quality was bad in the first place, do I trust them to clean the tanks and valve once they've messed it up? Gee, the answer to that is pretty obvious, is it not?

I think so....

Back
Top Bottom