The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've ordered from Leisure Pro four times and I've been happy with every order. They're great on returns/exchanges as well and credited my card the same day they received the return.

For a $100 difference on a BC I would think twice about buying online. The advantage to buying in a shop is making sure that the sizing is correct and many shops and manufacturers (e.g. Oceanic) have 30 day guarantees where they'll give you store credit for something that you've tried in the ocean and decided wasn't right for you.

You really don't know how a BC is going too fit until you have your exposure suit, weights, and tank in place.

I have bought about half of my gear online. So far everything has been good and I have saved myself money for new gear in the process. Just make sure you knoe exactly what you want and that it fits you right before you buy it.

Internet sales work well for divers who know equipment a little better, when you are new unfortunately you get a piece of your arse taken out by the LDS and unscrupulous sellers zeN

My arse aint big enough, cant afford to have any of it taken........
i guess ill figure it out

I know I'm going to get it for this, but here's my story. :boom:

I started diving again, and got re-certified, after a LONG layoff. I had no gear and dislike renting, so how to get equipped without breaking the bank?

eBay!

My wife and I are both eBay merchants, so we know how the game is played. I did my research, decided what I wanted, and did fine. The most important considerations were that it be high quality gear, and brands that were serviced by my LDS. I had the regs, BC, etc., checked out by LDS before using them. The shop is OK with this, probably because I'm still a steady customer for a lot of stuff, and have been doing ongoing training with them.

The shopping took a lot of time and patience, but it was actually kind of enjoyable. Naturally, some things didn't work out, mostly because of fit. I just resold what didn't work, usually for the same amount or more. What eBay giveth, eBay can taketh away.

To sum up: do your homework, be patient and thorough when shopping, and don't bet your life on equipment that hasn't been checked out by your LDS. You can save a ton of dough if you're willing to work at it.

Ebay is you still are taking a chance
buying used gear from someone you don't
know.

considering this is your life support
I may err on the conservative side
and buy LDS or online new.

Well I went into my lds yesterday and found out once the lease is up he is calling it quits. Had enough. Gonna retire.

This is a pretty good size town and you would think it could handle three shops. One doesnt have a good rep...the other is very tec oriented...makes you wonder.

This place has a great two level pool....4 ft on one side...12 ft on the other for classes and practicing skills...tesing equipment...whatever. The repair room is set up real sweet too. Oh well....anyone want to move to Fayetteville NC and pick up on a nice dive shop????

RICHinNC once bubbled...
Well I went into my lds yesterday and found out once the lease is up he is calling it quits. Had enough. Gonna retire.

This is a pretty good size town and you would think it could handle three shops. One doesnt have a good rep...the other is very tec oriented...makes you wonder.

This place has a great two level pool....4 ft on one side...12 ft on the other for classes and practicing skills...tesing equipment...whatever. The repair room is set up real sweet too. Oh well....anyone want to move to Fayetteville NC and pick up on a nice dive shop????

I hate to hear this for you. But what can you expect with everyone telling everyone about the internet and people all over this board telling people to buy buy buy on-line, etc.

It's ashame that people think so little of themselves that they will buy lifesupport equipment at the cheapest possibly price from someone they have never met and have no idea what type of shape it really is in. These same people preach safety first.....

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...
It's ashame that people think so little of themselves that they will buy lifesupport equipment at the cheapest possibly price from someone they have never met and have no idea what type of shape it really is in.
Don't blame the customers and don't blame the internet. Blame the dive equipment manufacturers who allow/force there to be such a large difference in dealer cost. The manufacturers don't care about the LDS, they just want to move product in high volumes, and they reward high volume dealers with better prices.

Out here on the west coast, we have a company commonly referred to as "Evil Empire"... it is a sporting goods store chain... a literal Wal-Mart of athletics. They have a scuba department.
They have a few really good instructors. They have a lot of really bad instructors.

Their prices completely blow away the other LDS, and in many cases, they are competitive with online sources. I generally won't go online for anything under $100 since it isn't worth it once you add shipping. I bought a UK D8 light from LeisurePro and after shipping it ended up costing me $5 more than "Evil Empire", and I had to wait for it to arrive.

It's a free market, and customers will shop where they can get the best value. To do otherwise would be foolish.
I've heard the "life support equipment" comment over and over, but there's no difference between an Apeks reg purchased from Leisure Pro and one purchased from "Evil Empire" and one purchased from Joe's Local Dive Shop except the price and the dubious "lifetime free parts" offer.

Even the lifetime free parts isn't worth it. Many manufacturers are backing off of the annual rebuild and going to annual inspection with rebuild every two years, or when needed.
When needed? I'm going to spend $100 in inspections before I actually need a rebuild. I could take it in myself and pay for parts and labor every two years and break even.

When my buddy and I were looking at HP120 tanks, we wanted to buy a total of 6. "Evil Empire" had them priced at about $300. Normal price. Every day price. Joe Diver walks in off the street and buys it at that price.
I called Tom at PST, and while they refused to sell direct, even for a quantity of 6, he referred me to another LDS and said that "Bob" would make me a good deal.
I called this shop, and he would be more than happy to sell me SIX tanks at $375 EACH!
I told him that I could walk into "Evil Empire" and buy one with no haggling at $300 and asked again if he could do better. He told me to buy them from "Evil Empire".

Where was the problem with the tank purchase? Was PST's price that much higher to the LDS or was "Bob" simply unwilling to cut his margin? I know for a fact that, at that time, "Evil Empire's" cost on those tanks was $220. "Bob" could have sold us those 6 tanks for $290 and still made $420 clear profit on the deal (and a cash sale at that), IF his cost from PST was the same as the chain store.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom