The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bengals guy Loose the hair shirt and act like a quasi adult.
I had a dive shop in the 60's and no we had no internet but New England Divers, Central Skin Divers, Berries Richards all advertised to death their prices and independant instructors bought from them and sold "on the street corner etc." Dive shops came and went cause most of them needed to close. If you were more than a corner candy store you bought at about 45 off and I used a .5 mark up or approx. a 20percent discount from list to set my selling price. Then guys like Joe Shuck and scubapro started pushing "professional equip" at fair trade and John Gaffney and NASDS and the plague grew. But at least the 20-25off kept me in the running with any of them and the rest was up to me.
You, like the dotcoms need to step back and look at trees and the forest. You have to realize customers dont owe you anything!
You have to earn it all; and if you cant do price do it with value and it dont come easy. Your rant and silly comments only prove your lack of value, and you owe me ego, with every misdirected post.
Take some time off and go to another area and just check out the shops and in 5 min tell me if they deserve to stay in business or not.
And all the Life support, local support stuff, dont cut it with anyone cause it sounds like the pity pot to me.
By the way it was the 57percent profit that ticked me and all I see is the business running the poor lds owners not the other way round. (READ lack of character and mismanagement)
And I once again have my own compressor and pump my own nitrox and mix and have saved having to put up with the local egos and save enough to pay for the compressor etc.....

And Becky "but I know that when I'm talking to someone at the Shop they care, and not just someone putting in hours for a paycheck." You need a grow up pill also!

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...

I understand and that's cool. But I do give the Aquatics Directors at the YMCA's gear at Cost and free classes for getting me X amount of students. That really lights a fire under there rear-end and keeps the classes coming.

But the YMCA does get a % of the class fee. YMCA's are in fact run on United Funds which is all of our money. So they can't just call me up and start a class. They are supposed to take bids, and determine which instructor or shop they want to use after contacting as many as possible in the local area. This is actually the law since YMCA's are run on United Funds. YMCA's in the Atlanta area have actually been sued and the lost when they took one instructor and didn't give someone else the chance for the business.

I taught PADI for a year at a large YMCA and they took care of me and crossed me over to YMCA SCUBA on a scholorship..So I got it for free, except for the time off of work of course. Of course they called it a scholorship and not just free.

In this particular case I am going to have to say that it is an under-the-table type deal.

I just put in my 2 psi. Sorry to hit such a sore spot with you. LMAO.

LMAO :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: LMAO STILL.

yea..........figures you would have that point of view seeing that you are a Dive Shop owner.

What is LMAO?

quimby once bubbled...
Bengals guy Loose the hair shirt and act like a quasi adult.
I had a dive shop in the 60's and no we had no internet but New England Divers, Central Skin Divers, Berries Richards all advertised to death their prices and independant instructors bought from them and sold "on the street corner etc." Dive shops came and went cause most of them needed to close. If you were more than a corner candy store you bought at about 45 off and I used a .5 mark up or approx. a 20percent discount from list to set my selling price. Then guys like Joe Shuck and scubapro started pushing "professional equip" at fair trade and John Gaffney and NASDS and the plague grew. But at least the 20-25off kept me in the running with any of them and the rest was up to me.
You, like the dotcoms need to step back and look at trees and the forest. You have to realize customers dont owe you anything!
You have to earn it all; and if you cant do price do it with value and it dont come easy. Your rant and silly comments only prove your lack of value, and you owe me ego, with every misdirected post.
Take some time off and go to another area and just check out the shops and in 5 min tell me if they deserve to stay in business or not.
And all the Life support, local support stuff, dont cut it with anyone cause it sounds like the pity pot to me.
By the way it was the 57percent profit that ticked me and all I see is the business running the poor lds owners not the other way round. (READ lack of character and mismanagement)
And I once again have my own compressor and pump my own nitrox and mix and have saved having to put up with the local egos and save enough to pay for the compressor etc.....

And Becky "but I know that when I'm talking to someone at the Shop they care, and not just someone putting in hours for a paycheck." You need a grow up pill also!

The 60's????? I think things have changed just a little since then. You may want to take your alzheimer pill before bed tonight and I'll take my grow up pill. Do I need to repeat this or have you already forgotten?

FACT: The average dive shop in the USA today needs to make a 57% profit margin. Any business of diving seminar will tell you this. I don't know what type of economics you were running in the 60's but how come you don't own the business now? I don't know of one business on this planet that closed up when it was successful. Of course you may know differently. I'm sure you can say successfull businesses close up all the time. LOL

And with the comment about the local dive shop in your area...Sounds to me like you have issues with any and all LDS's.

Hey, put me on your ignore list and good luck with your last few years of adventures.

USMC Diver once bubbled...

In this particular case I am going to have to say that it is an under-the-table type deal.

Well, I guess more power to the guy. I'm usually for screwing the govt. anyway. I'm not going to rat anyone out.

LMAO- Laugh my a$$ off...
ROFL- roll on floor laughing
BS- Bull sh#t
LDS- local dive shop
OLDS- on line dive shop
LP- liesure pro
SP- scuba pro

any others just look around a little and you'll figure it out..

:)

A piss poor attitude about all dive shops spreads like wildfire and turns people against all dive shops, even the ones providing equal bang for the buck and while it does good to wipe out those bad dive shops out there, you're killing the good ones too.

Are you going to buy our own compressor after you've run all of your LDSs out of town? It's going to be tough to get that tank filled online.

Ben

I'm halfway into R/C. I dont' purchase my toys on line or over a catalog. I go to the local guy at the local hobby store.

You are missing out...I've flown R/C for several years, and fly the big planes, have flown heli's, etc.

And, I buy many things online. The selection is MUCH better, the prices are better, and I get reasonably guaranteed delivery...

Yet the hobby shop survives...I wonder why?

The LDS's that serve their customers will also survive.

Someone mentioned FREE class space and FREE pool time on here... Wow...

Sure as hell wish it were like that up here... guarantee our costs are a little more than that... pool up here is about $75 and up an hour... add that into your cost equation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom