The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here in the Cincinnati area there are more than 15 dive shops with in about a half hour of down town. Most of which are worthless. The one I get the best prices from has nothing in stock and keeps irregular hours because the dive shop is run as a side business for a group of people who have day jobs. The ones that have the best selection really don't have the best customer service. I thought I found a good shop to deal with but got jerked around when my Uwatec computer got recalled. when others were getting their computer back in 3 weeks, mine has been gone for about 3 months. I finally called Uwatec to find out what was going on with my computer and they had to call the dive shop. I will have my replacement by the end of the week and after that I doubt I will be back in that shop. Of course they are also the least willing to lower prices. They gave the local search and resce team a whopping 10% off stuff and they were buying thousands of dollars in new gear.

I agree that most of the problem is with the manufacturers and not the dealers. However, if you are allowed by a manufacturer to discount it a certain percentage then why not offer that up front. I persoanlly hate having to negotiate a price on things, especially anything less expensive than a car or house. I also hate it when people come to me at work and ask for a better price on things. 9 times out of 10 we have the lowest prices and offer the best service but people still want a deal. Of course thats a whole different discusion.

...sorry to hear about that, RICHinNC. One thing that seems to be missing from the LDS vs. internet debate is the value of just having places to shoot-the-breeze with fellow divers...especially new divers who haven't established a network of dive buddies, so having places to just drop by to chat and meet people is a value-added-service the WWW will never be able to duplicate.

I'd be lying if I said I had the answer to the LDS vs. WWW debate.......I guess I'm splitting the difference......maybe 50% of my gear purchases are local, the other 50% WWW (internet stores/E Bay). However, I've spent a fair amount of money this year on training classes spent @ my LDS...and gone on 3 trips with my LDS...so I'm doing what I can to support my LDS...as I value just having places to talk 'diving' and socialize.

Karl

scubafanatic once bubbled...
so having places to just drop by to chat and meet people is a value-added-service the WWW will never be able to duplicate.
You overlooked the obvious.
That is exactly what we are doing here, with the added benefit of being able to hear (and filter) opinions from all over the world.

As far as local divers, there are areas here on SB dedicated to local groups, as well as local mailing lists such as the Divebums list out of San Diego, LAUE in Los Angeles, BAUE in the bay area, etc...

Are you going to buy our own compressor after you've run all of your LDSs out of town? It's going to be tough to get that tank filled online

Oh crap, I already did buy my own compressor. :) Its very nice to have all the Nitrox I want, when I want it and at the FO2 I want it, at a fraction of the cost, and with none of the BS, overly high pricing, or attitude. So far, with far less than a year down the road, I've covered about 1/4 of my amortization on the unit (that includes my operating expenses, such as filters, oil, etc.) Not bad, not bad.

I've given somewhat-serious consideration to anchoring a barge out in the very navigable waterways around here with a generator and fill station on it, complete with a few bank storage tanks, and selling fills right at the Destin Pass. Other than having my air purity certificate and the usual vessel requirements I can't see how the local shops could stop me.

Sell some smoothies to go with it while you wait for the fill to be done, and heh, there's a business there.

Maybe.

Its certainly not a year-round thing, but it might well be a decent summer gig. I've neither decided to go ahead with it or written it off - yet....

(BTW, the numbers work pretty well for buying a compressor if you have four people who go in on it, all whom dive reasonably frequently. This is particularly true if they dive Nitrox and you're paying in the $10/fill range for it. If you dive Trimix, then its a slam-dunk, as the prices that most shops charge for that, if they'll even sell it at all, are astronomical - you can buy the ENTIRE "T" of He for what many shops will charge for ONE doubles fill in many places. In places like SE Florida, it doesn't make sense, as you have shops like Fill Express - who, surprise surprise, sell primarily gas and from what I can see are extremely competitive, massively undercutting the others in the market.)

quimby once bubbled... [/]

And Becky "but I know that when I'm talking to someone at the Shop they care, and not just someone putting in hours for a paycheck." You need a grow up pill also! [/B][/QUOTE

You know what Quimby since I'm 48 I think I will pass on the grow up pill. I have had enough business experience to have an educated opinion. When I talk to the LDS shop I know who I visiting with and they know me. That is very important to me. Service is priceless.

Becky

[
It's ashame that people think so little of themselves that they will buy lifesupport equipment at the cheapest possibly price from someone they have never met and have no idea what type of shape it really is in. These same people preach safety first..... [/B]

I disagree with you on this one. I know exactly what condition and shape the equipment is in when I buy it online (i.e. brand new)... I can see your point when it comes to buying used stuff on eBay though.

VTernovski once bubbled...

I disagree with you on this one. I know exactly what condition and shape the equipment is in when I buy it online (i.e. brand new)... I can see your point when it comes to buying used stuff on eBay though.

LDS's sell used gear, what is the difference. Used gear is used gear. The seller in the LDS can be just a scandelous as the seller on ebay, possible more due to training and experience. (not to imply that LDS owners are crooked, oh no) Every purchase wether online or at a store carries risk.

True True.. I was also going to mention that LDS sometimes try to sell used equipment.. in my case it was a very old DUI drysuit but have noly been in the water 10 times... I didn't buy it, but the difference between the Ebay and the LDS in a given example wa sthat LDS offered a year of warranty, and most Ebay sellers won't offer a waranty on a used item.

VTernovski once bubbled...
True True.. I was also going to mention that LDS sometimes try to sell used equipment.. in my case it was a very old DUI drysuit but have noly been in the water 10 times... I didn't buy it, but the difference between the Ebay and the LDS in a given example wa sthat LDS offered a year of warranty, and most Ebay sellers won't offer a waranty on a used item.

I'll concede in the light of that. You have one of those LDS's that have good service. My LDS would have said, "Hey, it was used. Sorry"

Well, I have anotehr problem with the whole "support your local dive shop" thing... I have soem crap I bought from a shop that went out of business... now I need 'support" on that stuff and no one to turn to... specifically, Mares ESA mask that leaks water becasue of the known problem with the cracks in the plastic... I have two of those masks. Shop is not around to help me, will be contacting Mares directly.. I also went as far as asking another shop (that I know support) to take care of the mask issue for me. We'll see what he replies with... if he takes care of it, he's got my vote. If he says, sorry, you didn;t buy it from me... then .. oh well. next time, my mask will be bought on-line. along with other gear.... am I to blame to that the original shop went out of business? sorry, no way!

Back
Top Bottom