The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OneBrightGator once bubbled...
VT:

Try this number for Mares: 203-855-0631

If they can't help I bet they could give you the number to call for it.

Ben

OneBrightGator, Thank you for the number! I called Mares and spoke to Heather who was very polite and patient hearing me out and issued an RA right away to return the defective masks directly to Mares.

Now, that's service! It took me less than 3 minutes,... This what I am talking about when it coms to crappy shops, was that unreasonable for them to do this on my behalf?

Thank you guys! I enjoy this great discussion, by the way, everybody has healthy arguments for both sides.

Thanks,
Vadim

Luckily I found a LDS that knows how to run a business and can keep up with the changes in technology and economics. This LDS can match or beat any ONLINE pricing as well as simply destroy the other LDS's in the area. Their shop is extremely well stocked...usually 10 or more of EVERYTHING. "I don't have it" isn't in their vocabulary. How can this shop compete so well with the online shops and the LDS's? Simple,they do both. They're in the top 3 online scuba companies and,without a doubt,the largest in the DFW area. They don't sell anything online that won't carry the manufacturer's warranty,yet they still have an extremely large online offering. They also have a ton of items not offered online in the local shop.This company has outstanding service,both online and at the local level. This company is growing,NOT just surviving.

Yeah... Scubatoys is a pretty good shop. :wink:

I owe the LDS NOTHING!! Anything I've gotten there, I PAID for. I too, am sick of arrogant LDSs with crappy service acting like I owe them something for the priveledge of their being open for me. A load of crap! The LDS in my town truly SUX and I will rejoice when they finally close up! I buy what ever I want online with no guilt whatsoever...

I also spent about $4,000.00 from the Dallas LDS mentioned above. They are a brick and mortar shop that not only competes with LP but they are expanding. 3rd time to expand in about a decade and are moving into a bigger building because the've outgrown the one they are in.

If you are a LDS that provides good service (even at inflated prices) without alot of arrogant attitudes, and will still do business with a person that has purchased some of their gear online, then I wish you well and do hope you succeed. As for the overpriced LDSs with crappy service and arrogant attitudes (like the one in my home town)...good riddance!

Sorry but your arguements about how a LDS has to make outrageous profit margins to put food on the table just don't cut it. Check out my LDS:

www.scubatoys.com

They have low prices, good service, good products, lots of stock (just like LP).. and they are THRIVING! They can compete with LP not by whining and arrogantly turning potential cutomers away, but by realizing the market is changing and changing with it..no complaints...no arrogance.. just good prices and good service.

..as far as getting my tanks filled when all the LDSs shut down (which doesn't include my LDS because they are thriving)...just about every place I dive has a fill station. No attitudes...no guilt trips...just $5 fills.. and they are right there at the dive site....just one more reason why The LDS needs me WAY MORE than I need them.

Quit complaining about what a terrible customer I am and do something to get me back...or die... either way I don't care... it's your problem, not mine. I've got gear and fills, I can book my own trips, and I know enough divers (personally and online) that I don't NEED to hang out at the LDS to have somebody to talk to.. I'm happy....

VTernovski once bubbled...

OneBrightGator, Thank you for the number! I called Mares and spoke to Heather who was very polite and patient hearing me out and issued an RA right away to return the defective masks directly to Mares.

Now, that's service! It took me less than 3 minutes,... This what I am talking about when it coms to crappy shops, was that unreasonable for them to do this on my behalf?

Thank you guys! I enjoy this great discussion, by the way, everybody has healthy arguments for both sides.

Thanks,
Vadim

Happy to hear this and I hope you don't give that crappy shop any business. BUT; of course I do hope you can find a nice LDS somewhere up that way.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...
An authorized dealer is not a dealer that sales on-line. On-line sales are 99% non authorized therefore the warranties on the equipment is voided. Of course the on-line sales folks may tell you it's under warranty to make the sale to some poor sucker like yourself.
I called Aeris directly before purchasing my scooters from Diver's Supply. They are an authorized dealer, the warranty is in full force, and Aeris even drop shipped them to my door, so nobody can say that they did not have full knowledge that a dealer in Florida had sold the scooters to a buyer in California.

I saved over $800 (each) over the best price I could get locally (list), and when they need service, I would have to deal with Aeris/Oceanic directly anyways.

PhotoTJ once bubbled...

Gee, what a horrible concept. So you're saying the dive shop owner wants to make a PROFIT at his operation? Wants to put food on his table, make his house payment, maybe get a new car? Well, this is certainly scandalous behaviour, and he should be boycotted.

I'm glad you're independantly wealthy, and don't need to sully your hands with making a buck.

I suggest you consider this next time your finances are tight.

Your not getting the point. If the class had been billed as 250 (including air and pic and everything else) that would be fine. It is when they say the class is 200, all inclusive, then at the end they hold the card hostage until the give up more money. It isn't the price in this instance so much as it is the "bait and switch" (if that is the right term). It is the hidden cost. The money they FORCE you to pay after you willingly pay for the class thinking that is all you had to spend.

Just looking for honesty in advertising I guess.

RichLockyer once bubbled...

I called Aeris directly before purchasing my scooters from Diver's Supply. They are an authorized dealer, the warranty is in full force, and Aeris even drop shipped them to my door, so nobody can say that they did not have full knowledge that a dealer in Florida had sold the scooters to a buyer in California.

I saved over $800 (each) over the best price I could get locally (list), and when they need service, I would have to deal with Aeris/Oceanic directly anyways.

Hey Rich....Did I say 100%???????????? No, I did not. Maybe I should have said 98% instead of 99%. My bad. You don't have to deal with Aeris/Oceanic/Farallon directly when they need service. I know a little something about them. Oh yeah..Farallon is the original in that company and Aeris is the actually manufacturer of most hockey puck computers and all computers for Oceanic, sherwood, genesis, etc. etc. etc....

USMC Diver once bubbled...

Your not getting the point. If the class had been billed as 250 (including air and pic and everything else) that would be fine. It is when they say the class is 200, all inclusive, then at the end they hold the card hostage until the give up more money. It isn't the price in this instance so much as it is the "bait and switch" (if that is the right term). It is the hidden cost. The money they FORCE you to pay after you willingly pay for the class thinking that is all you had to spend.

Just looking for honesty in advertising I guess.

Man, nothing pisses me off more than instructors and dive shops that BullS*** the advertising of the cost of class. I'm a major fan of UPFRONT pricing! The other shop advertises a $99.00 special for Scuba class (They've had this "special" for over a year now!) and never mention the cost of the certification. I usually get about 10-15 rerferals a year at my shop due to this practice. As of now I can't take rerferals any longer due to poor instruction. I have to get them in the pool again and train them all over again, practically.

With more and more on-line sources of equipment the number of dive shops is going to go down training prices will go way up.

In most inland areas (other than a big city maybe) a dive shop needs to sell equipment to every one in the area who wants it and they need to get a good markup. Even then it isn't a very good business. The closest shop to me (about 50 miles) has been there about thirty years but they have a video business also. They have never made a living on the shop. The next closest shop is run by a guy who's wife is a nurse. She's the bread winner of the family. I never took a pay check at all form my shop.

With more and more people selling on-line that will become a tough business also. The "local" shop is going to go away. There will be shops at dive sites and on-line with a few sprinkled around the big cities. The small local markets just won't support a shop at least not as anything other than a hobby.

I also think more people will do what I've done. I closed the shop, put the compressor in the garage and worked deals with a few select manufacturers. I teach but the price is premium and I have a few things to sell. Without the overhead of a shop I don't have to play the games. I don't need a dive shop for anything. I'm debating whether or not it makes sense to even put up an online store. There are so many that without putting big bucks in advertising you'll never find mine among the many others and if I play the pricing games of the manufacturers you wouldn't buy from me anyway. If I don't I lose the dealership since I'd be not only breaking the rules but advertising it as well.
The local dive shop as most of you know it is obsolete.

I also think more people will do what I've done. I closed the shop, put the compressor in the garage and worked deals with a few select manufacturers. I teach but the price is premium and I have a few things to sell.

But if you give quality instruction for the price, the value equation still works.

Back
Top Bottom