The great Suunto data cable thread (incl DIY)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Zept

Make them into an interface and I expect you'll be able to shift them :wink:.

I'm having a hard time finding something suitable to use for the interface pins. I won't dare trying to sell something looking like the second picture down from the top here. :)

Anyone know of any legality issues with selling home-made PC interfaces for dive computers? I think its rediculous the prices the manufacturers are charging for the interfaces after we pay so much for the computers. If no one knows of any reason why I shouldn't, I am thinking of making them in my spare time for people if I can find enough interest. Anyone have any advice or opinions? I came to this because my lds wanted $175 for the interface for my Cobra. I made one that works perfectly for a few bucks in material and a little of my time. Any input will be appreciated.

The phrase "patent infringement" comes to mind...

Forgit the serial connection, if you can get a USB connection I'll buy one from you. I've got the cobra and the mosquito...same connection.

The simplest interface (the roli one) is nothing like the Suunto one in the way it works so you'll have no trouble there. You might like to ask permission from the designer of the circuit. They would have little legal protection as the information is in the public domain but it would be polite.

Your biggest problem would be product liability. It could be argued that a faulty inteface cable could reset vital information on the computer.

don't really see that its possible for the interface to reset any dive information... all dives in the dive computer's dive log stay there until you reach the maximum memory time (36 hours for 20 sec or 18 for 10 sec. data intervals) I recommend the 10 sec by the way b/c you get truer representations of you dive on the dive manager and who is gonna put more than 18 hours of dives on their dive computer before they have a chance to download the info? Also, just so everyone knows, if you ever do buy an interface from me, my only guarantee is that I test them all on my dive computer and they work. If you are unsure at all how to use it, ask me first and don't take it apart... For what I would charge, i would only be covering my time making it and the cost of parts. my reason for offering it is not to make money, its to help others out like me that can't afford or think its unreasonable to pay $175 for a connector for a dive computer you already paid $700 for. Basically, these things are fairly simple... it either works or it doesn't... they only provide a means of communication between the PC and the dive computer. It's kinda like the PC and the dive computer speek two different languages and the PC interface is the translator... it does nothing more than allow the two to communicate... it can't change settings or corrupt files on its own.

OK, you have the hardware to connect.... What about the necessary software? Is there generic software to download raw data?

The only issue I can see would be product liability. Folks have been tweaking electronics gear since the day after it was invented.
If someone would get hurt or dead, a slick lawyer could wind up suing everyone & his uncle, even if the incident had nothing at all to do with the cable.
As long as you don't have any $$ to lose, you're not a sweet target.
It wouldn't hurt to have a "fitness of use" statement along with the things.

The interface kits go for about $90 from the online shops, BTW. Still a heck of an overcharge.

What do you use for a cable to dive computer connector?

Software is available for free from the SUUNTO website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom