The Halcyon Eclipse single tank wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 30 lb Eclipse, I dive wet and I use a LP 121 or 125 with a stage, either a al40 or an OMS 46, it gives me plenty of lift.

I have been down to 220 fsw with it so far, I think it is a great bc, I use the SS backplate and do not need any weight.

Now that some of you out there have had your Halcyone Eclipse for a little while, how do you like them?

I'm seriously thinking about purchasing one of these.

Most of my diving will be in New England with a Dry Suit or 7mm Semi-dry with a HP Steel 100 Single. It's compactness is appealing for traveling. I'd expect to use it in a fairly wide variety of applications.

What was your previous BC and how many dive do you have on the Eclipse.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Greg

I am also considering the Halcyon Eclipse comparing it to the Oxycheq line but there is very little if any diver feedback on this wing.

With a lot of the bouyancy positioned at the top of the wing I am wondering how this would affect its streamlining performance, horizontal balance and its ablility to lift a diver well out of the water at the surface.

Also is the top section of the wing low profile or does it press against the back of your head if you try to look up?

I recently purchased a 40# Halcyon Eclipse wing. Have yet to get a chance to dive it though. I've put in on complete with a tank and it fits great. My only concern was with the length of the inflator hose, it seemed a little short. Other's on the board have posted the same comment, but apparently once in the water it's no longer an issue. My previous rig was an OMS 45# wing and IQ Pack. My Halcyon rig seems to be much more streamlined, I can't wait to dive it.

Here's a review of the new Halcyon Eclipse from Diver Magazine (www.divernet.com)

When less costs more

I like to keep an open mind and test each piece of equipment on its merit. My aim is to tell you, the reader, as much as I can about all the products that are available to you, without fear or favour.
I was pleased to receive a Halcyon Eclipse wing-style BC to try for these pages. However, another person in the office greeted its arrival with the sort of welcome that might have greeted a parachute sent by Osama Bin Laden. Halcyon products bear the mark of DIR, and while to some this is seen as a sign of all things good, others see it as the mark of the Devil.
For those divers who have been living on another planet, I should explain that DIR, or Doing It Right, is a system of diving which embraces not only equipment and training but attitude and lifestyle. Some see it as rather Mormonic in the demands it makes on those who subscribe to its teachings, but then there do seem to be a lot of very happy Mormons.
Well, as a professional maverick, I didn't feel threatened. Nor did I feel I needed to recant any previously held beliefs to go diving with the Eclipse and tell you what I think of it. Halcyon's importer has clearly decided that it needs to widen the market for its products rather than limiting sales to the few faithful followers of the DIR creed.
The Eclipse is for use with a single tank. It is a simple bit of kit that marries to a Halcyon stainless-steel or aluminium backplate and harness. When supplied complete, it goes by the name of a Multifunction Compensator.
The BC comes with a stainless-steel single-tank adapter with two cambands for securing the tank. You can also buy the wing alone to fit to any harness and backplate you might already have.
It was easy enough to sandwich the three parts and assemble them with the bolts, wing-nuts and washers provided. I was amused to find myself following the instructions on how to adjust the harness straps so that the two shoulder D-rings ended up in the right place. I was suddenly reminded of Henry Reed's famous wartime poem: "...but today we have naming of parts."
The harness is a continuous loop of webbing, just like the one on my first Spiro twin-set of 25 years ago. This means that it can be easily adjusted to fit almost anyone.
It has a crotch-strap with a big stainless-steel D-ring at the back and another at the front, and a big Scubapro buckle. The rear D-ring is evidently intended for reels and SMBs and the like. There is a waist D-ring for clipping off a pressure gauge.
The front crotch-strap D-ring is for hitching to a tow-behind scooter only, so will become rather redundant when we are all using JetBoots!
There is no back cushion as such, just a panel of heavy fabric secured to the backplate with a number of bolts. I found five such bolts in the parcel, although there was the possibility of fitting eight.
The fabric panel hides the bolt-ends and wing-nuts that hold the sandwich of backplate, buoyancy cell and tank-adapter together. It's the shape of the back-plate that stops the bolt-ends and wing-nuts sticking into your back and making you feel uncomfortable.
The cambands were not as easy to tighten as in a conventional set-up, and I strongly advise the user to wet them thoroughly before fitting to a tank. Webbing stretches when wet. The Halcyon type are not as easily threaded as ordinary cam-buckles and you wouldn't want to have to try to tighten them up under water.
The buoyancy cell or wing is of double-bag construction with a urethane-coated bladder inside a ballistic nylon outer shell.
It is shaped like an elongated doughnut, with a pull-dump at the lower front left side and a corrugated hose attached to the upper right back. This has a reinforced elbow. The bag comes with either 18 or 13.5kg of lift.

Despite some shortcomings, I enjoyed using this wing. I like minimalism. Why have something that is not needed?
The Eclipse follows the "less is more" philosophy, but this does give those whose job it is to market the product something of a problem. In our added-value world, how can you sell something that actually strives to give you less?
The press release supplied with the Eclipse made great play of the internal drainage system for excess water. I guess it meant the lower dump valve.
Well, you will need to dump water out of this after a dive, because the only way to dump air from the wing on ascent is to raise the corrugated hose and let it out through the manual inflation valve. This, of course, lets water back in the other way.
Don't expect to get anything as convenient as a toggle on the end of the lower dump's pull-cord either, even though it would have made it easier to find it to dump air during a fast head-down descent in a strong current.
The press release also makes great play of the fact that the corrugated hose has its inflator mouthpiece set to face inwards. What's the mystery? If I ever get any BC that has its inflator mouthpiece pointing any other way, I simply unclip it, rotate it and refit it. My opinions may be heretical to the devoted followers of DIR, but I am equally devoted to the principles of JDI (Just Do It).
Under water, the backplate substituted for lead on my belt, the small wing did not flap around the tank, and the BC became a part of me, which is good.
However,I had to be circumspect about positioning my body in such a way that I could dump all my air on ascent.
If this BC had an upper dump valve, I might well have loved it. If you dive only in a drysuit and use the BC for surface buoyancy, its absence may not be a problem.
There may be merit in having a continuous loop of webbing and only one buckle rather than a couple of pinch-clips, as with most other BCs, but I missed the convenience of conventional shoulder buckles.
When it came to getting my cylinder off in the water, it proved to have become rather a snug fit. However, I am adroit at tipping my rig over my head and ducking out from under it, and that worked fine once I had the existence of a crotch-strap fixed in my mind.
I imagine those of us who are less slim and nimble might have to consider diving only from a boat with a ladder, so that they can climb aboard still fully kitted.
But then, if you follow the strict DIR regime in all its aspects, you will be at least as fit as me!
That's it - a wing perfect for shore-diving in a drysuit in freshwater lakes. No BC needs to be complicated to work, and the Halcyon Eclipse is certainly not unnecessarily complicated.
I often find myself writing that less is more. In this case, less certainly costs more. This is a BC stripped to the bare essentials, and what essentials there are seem to be solidly made. But then they would have to be, to justify a whopping £424 price-tag.

W Silent Planet, 001305 824 555, www.silentplanet.info

Plus:
+ Well-made
+ Simple design
+ Old-fashioned values

Minus:
- Less is more when it comes to cost

wow, the price tag makes your eyes water. you may be able to catch a flight from london to new york, buy the rig here, fly back and save a buck. there should be a big gray market for halcyon in europe.

Hi,

in Europe You get the smaller pioneers about € 320,-...

:wink:

"The cambands were not as easy to tighten as in a conventional set-up, and I strongly advise the user to wet them thoroughly before fitting to a tank. Webbing stretches when wet. The Halcyon type are not as easily threaded as ordinary cam-buckles and you wouldn't want to have to try to tighten them up under water."

With normal cam bands, this would be true. With the Halcyon "gator grip" bands, you don't need to kill yourself to get it to stay tight.

One other observation. This wing is built for people who dive in the horizontal position. Dumping air on ascent is not an issue when you dive this way. You just drop your head and pull the lower dump cord. Vents well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom