The ideal vacation house rental... your input and ideas wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I rent out vacation homes here in the Keys, I cannot control all of the places I rent but the ones I can I make sure they have these.

A Hose/ Rake to hang gear on out of the sun is always good to have.
Extra Towels/Wash Cloths
Cheat Sheets: Directions to Dive Shops /Grocery Stores/Restaurants / Hospitals ect...
Ice Machine in the Fridge. Is really good to have. (Optional but nice to have)
Internet is a must have !!!!

It's always nice to find travel stuff in a home such as razor,soaps,and first aid kit.

You will find that people will buy things and leave them for the next person: Rule of thumb if it is open and it is food pitch it!!! Bar soap pitch it !!!! Anything in a bottle/container that could be contaminated pitch it!!!!

You will do fine and as you start renting out your place the renters will let you know if they think you need something to make it more comfortable for them. Ar first you may have to run out and buy stuff so be prepared to run to the store.

I hope these things help. Becka

Hey, I live for shopping. And I really can't live for long without Internet... so that one's covered. Thanks for the input. Down here, it's kind of standard (I am told) to let the maids take leftover food at the end of the week, helps them out. Apart from staples, salt and pepper and such.

From several cave diving trips, here are my must-haves: Washer and dryer. There's nothing like having wet undergarments and no way to get them dry. Extra towels -- I spent a week once using the same towel to dry myself after diving, and to dry myself after my shower. It was not pleasant. I don't think the towel enjoyed it, either. A place to spread dive gear to dry that is sheltered from the rain. It's depressing to leave it outside on the patio and get up in the morning and find out a shower has your wetsuit soaking wet again.

Things I look for, but can live without: Internet access. Although I won't rent a place that says it doesn't have it, I have dealt with places who said they did but actually didn't. Basic supplies in the kitchen -- I rent a place with a kitchen because I actually do want to cook some meals, and it becomes pretty cumbersome when you have to buy salt, pepper, sugar, etc. in addition to your ingredients. It's really nice to have some basic seasonings and condiments.

Nice touches: Directions to the nearest grocery store, and some restaurant recommendations.

The two bedroom condo we've been renting in PA has all of the above things (except the last) and rents, outside of high season, for $1200 a week.

I hear you... but the towel was happy, I'm sure! :wink: I find towels are pretty easy to please.

Absolutely agreed on the kitchen and equipment facilities...

Actually, here's a question for you - if you could have a grocery shopping list pre-shopped for you and waiting, would that be good? Or would you rather do it yourself?

All I really care about is cost. I've stayed in $10/night hostels that were complete ***********s - complete with shared bathrooms - I didn't care. For me, it's just a place to sleep when I am not diving.

However - if you're NOT aiming for the budget traveler - and I get the impression that you're not - then the following would be nice:

a). A place for rinsing/drying gear
b). Facilities for eating in (a stove, fridge, cookware, salt, pepper, etc.)
c). A couple of cheap, but usable bikes with locks, etc.
d). Internet connection (wireless preferred)
e). Area map with tips for grocery store, etc.

Oh, man, a pre-shopped list would be INCREDIBLE! One of the big issues we've had is that our flights leave early in the morning and get in late in the afternoon, and then my husband is ill-tempered and doesn't want to stop at the grocery store to stock up. Then we get busy cave diving and never get there, and we end up eating out all the time, which adds enormously to the cost.

The problem with your house, though, is that it's in PDC, which adds 25 minutes of driving back and forth each day . . . :(

Oh, man, a pre-shopped list would be INCREDIBLE! One of the big issues we've had is that our flights leave early in the morning and get in late in the afternoon, and then my husband is ill-tempered and doesn't want to stop at the grocery store to stock up. Then we get busy cave diving and never get there, and we end up eating out all the time, which adds enormously to the cost.

The problem with your house, though, is that it's in PDC, which adds 25 minutes of driving back and forth each day . . . :(

Too bad it's not movable! :D

How about a place to hitch my daughter's horse? ;>)

DSD

Well, I put it off for a few months, but Cavewoman is back online, and officially launching rentals at "Hacienda Mexico", which is a rather grand name for my lovely little house in Playacar Fase 1, Playa del Carmen!

Thanks for all of your 99% helpful ideas - I was, unfortunately not able to move the house to Aventuras to accommodate TSandM, but I will do the grocery shopping, and send out huge thanks to both Dive Cenotes and Geofish Dive for putting together some really excellent package deals.

As for the rest of the requests, "FREE" didn't quite make the short list, but it is very affordable, particularly for this neighborhood. And Dan, if your daughter rides her horse all the way down here, I will supply hay and oats. You shovel.

Anyhow, thanks again all, and I will post this over in the Marketplace section where it belongs!

Hacienda Mexico Mayan Riviera Vacation Rental

Very nice website, and the house looks lovely. If you want my recommendation, either replace the dining room table with something with a glass top, or buy a custom cut piece of glass to put on top of that beautiful wood. Renters ARE going to put cold beer bottles down on it.

Just for reference, your weekly price is $100 more than I'm paying for the condo I rent in PA, and the condo in PA is the same price for four or for five. You do offer the shopping service, though.

I wish you well -- it's a lovely house, but much too far for us cave diving fanatics to drive each day.

I hope we get a chance to meet during my next trip, in November.

Back
Top Bottom