The Keys "Way of Life"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Centexbear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
5-6 years ago I had a strong desire to move to the Keys. It's been festering awhile and it's back. Bad.

I've been reading through all the "I'm moving to the Keys" threads the past few days and I hear a common theme. I keep reading people telling those that are moving that "it's different down here" or "it's a different way of life". I never found a thread of anyone describing why or how it's different, how it's a different way of life, etc?

So what's up!?! How is "the Key's Life" different? (speaking of middle to upper Keys here).

thank you!

Jeff

You need to;

1. Be wealthy and independent and retired
2. Work your axx off for little pay
3. Like being poor

Oh, and have no responsibilities. Of course there are always exceptions, I know a few.

N

How is it different...

To begin with its expensive. It's also a tourist trap, so don't plan on getting anywhere very quickly...especially when the idiots stop in the middle of US1 to take pretty pictures. If there is an accident, they shut down that section of the highway...if there is a fatality, it could be hours before you can get to where you were going. God forbid the accident is on 7 mile bridge, especially if you live in big pine but went to marathon to go grocery shopping( bust out the spoons and eat the ice cream).
The locals fall int three distinct categories...very nice hard working people(or retirees), meth heads, and of course the snow birds. Snow birds from NY and NJ are the best, because they live to bitch and moan about everything in the keys, but they never seem to find another place to hide from the winter.
The world revolves around the ocean, so if you want to have a coral reef 6 miles from your back yard, be able to dive and fish year around and live the "salt life"....there is no place better. My opinion is that the best place to live down there is between Layton and key largo...it's an island life, but only an hour from the real world if you need a sanity check.

All the stuff Tom mentioned... with the caveat that none of that stuff matters. :) You don't care 'cause you're in no hurry. Tomorrow is another day in paradise. If you can find the Zen, it's wonderful. If you can't, it will drive you F-nuts crazy. It's up to you and your nature. BTW, I like Big Pine and love diving Looe Key. YMMV

There is no Wal*Mart. Now, I happen to think that Wal*Mart is the devil, and I haven't stepped in one in 10 years, but there is no Wal*Mart. There is no Lowe's. We do have Home Depot. If you like Lowe's, you better learn to like Home Depot. That goes with a lot of things, BTW. If you like Arby's, plan ahead. There is an Arby's in Key Largo, but for all of my Arby's friends in Key West, we plan ahead and let each other know when we will be driving on and off the rock, and can stop at Arby's. Rent in Key West is $800 a month for a 1 room no kitchen, $1400 for a studio, and $2400 for a 2 BR 2 BA on the not too terrible part of town.

Contractors and tradesmen do not show up for appointments. When they finally do answer the phone, they were busy, or something.They just weren't where you needed them when they said they'd be there. It takes a month to get a Doctor's appointment, and 3 months if you are a new patient. No one except dive instructors and captains work weekends. Need your oil changed? Drop it off and we'll call you when it's ready. Which is probably Tuesday. Which Tuesday is the question.

I don't want to live anywhere else.

Thanks for all the awesome replies!

I'm 47, single and no kids, so I can pick up in a heartbeat. Thinking towards the end of this year.

I'm ready. Ready to break away from the corporate grind. The ocean is calling my soul. I lived on the Texas Gulf coast for a summer long ago and loved it. My 2 favorite passions in life are scuba diving and fly fishing the salt. I live to be on a skiff, fly rod in hand, sightcasting to bones, permit and tarpon.

I'm ready to make the dream a reality. I'm ready for a change. Ready for a new adventure. No Walmart is bliss! I live in the Dallas Ft. Worth Metroplex with 6 million other nice folks. In early 2000 I moved off to small town Durango, Colorado and loved the small town nature (they did have a Walmart haha). Small town vibe is right up my alley and is exactly what I'm looking for. I want lazy island life with good fresh fish to eat.

I'll definitely need to lock down employment before heading out and I'm working on a few things. Not ready to retire yet.

Going to schedule a scouting trip in September/October and really give things a hard look.

Thanks for all the awesome replies!

I'm 47, single and no kids, so I can pick up in a heartbeat. Thinking towards the end of this year.

I'm ready. Ready to break away from the corporate grind. The ocean is calling my soul. I lived on the Texas Gulf coast for a summer long ago and loved it. My 2 favorite passions in life are scuba diving and fly fishing the salt. I live to be on a skiff, fly rod in hand, sightcasting to bones, permit and tarpon.

I'm ready to make the dream a reality. I'm ready for a change. Ready for a new adventure. No Walmart is bliss! I live in the Dallas Ft. Worth Metroplex with 6 million other nice folks. In early 2000 I moved off to small town Durango, Colorado and loved the small town nature (they did have a Walmart haha). Small town vibe is right up my alley and is exactly what I'm looking for. I want lazy island life with good fresh fish to eat.

I'll definitely need to lock down employment before heading out and I'm working on a few things. Not ready to retire yet.

Going to schedule a scouting trip in September/October and really give things a hard look.

Most of what you say is good. I would take any employment you "lock down" with a grain of salt. When we first came to Key West, we had an apartment all set up (even gave the management company a deposit check) and my wife had 2 jobs "locked down". Two weeks before we moved, we were told that the owner of the apartment had changed her mind and was going to live there herself. When my wife checked on the jobs...well, let's just say that employers here don't believe anyone who says they're moving down and they respond to job requests accordingly.

That being said we love it here (Key West). We will move on eventually. Not because we don't like the island, but because there is no way we'll be able to afford to live here once I quit working.

Remember, no place is paradise. But we do have palm trees, warm ocean breezes, wrecks, reefs and (in my case) 150 bars within walking distance of where I lay my head.

Make the move. It will be an incredible experience. If you don't like it there's no ball and chain holding you there. Also consider anywhere in the southeast Florida area as long as you are near the ocean. This is paradise.

Make the move. It will be an incredible experience. If you don't like it there's no ball and chain holding you there. Also consider anywhere in the southeast Florida area as long as you are near the ocean. This is paradise.

Ya know that's the attitude I'm about to embrace. I need to quench my thirst for the Keys (or SE FL), the ocean, the fishing, the wildlife, beauty and nature. I need the water.

Change scares some people. I embrace the adventure and just want a different way of life for awhile. And like you said...if it doesn't work out, I can always move somewhere else.

Any other thoughts or comments on the "Keys way of life" are welcomed!

Jeff

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom