The Keys "Way of Life"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My personal experience is that the residents of Key Largo are amazing. We have made many friends there just on semi-annual dive trips! We look forward to every trip and find it more difficult to leave each time.

If I were in your circumstances, I wouldn't look back. But I live in Cajun country...life is pretty good here also. Here I am surrounded by family members I couldn't live without. So we learn a little more about the area on each trip, find cool home rentals we can share with friends to save a buck here and there, and run down to Key Largo every chance we get :D For what it's worth...it's NEVER enough!

I second Fl natives comments, the keys are wonderful, but don't rule out the rest of south Florida. I'm on the west coast and find it more laid back than the east coast (I get cold sweats every time I cross alligator alley into the traffic side! ) my area can be very quiet and peaceful with affordable living. Yes we are 2.5-3 hours from the reefs, but it's a good balace(for us) between lazy florida lifestyle and having a job.
I have lived in a number of different places in Europe and the U.S. over the last 25 years and I a. So happy to be back in Florida, it is paradise. :)

After getting out of the service in the '70's I migrated down to the keys. This was a time where free spirits and the hippy lifestyle were all over the keys. I lived where I could, shacking up wherever I could find a bed. Most of the time I was living in a tent back in wild areas of Big Pine and No Name keys, but occasionally stayed in Bahia Honda State park when I could not find anywhere else. I worked odd jobs in Marathon and Big Pine just to get some gas money. I ate LOTS of fish and lobster (to this day, I cannot eat lobster) that I caught myself by swimming out from wherever I was staying.

Ahhh... Those were the days.... My lifestyle pretty much epitomized the Keys lifestyle. The problem was, it was very hard to earn a living. I worked as a deck hand, mechanic (motorcycle and boat) and waited tables to get some money. The cost of living was high and it was tough to make ends meet even with the spartan conditions I was living in. I eventually, came back to civilization and got an education and became a member of "The Establishment".

I know it's changed a lot in the 40+ years since I was down there but some things are probably still true. Nobody is on the clock or in a hurry except the tourists, and the cost of living is pretty high.

I'd say if you have the financial means to do it, go for it. It's not a bad way to live. I miss it a lot and remember it fondly.

Jim

Jim lived a Jimmy Buffett song.

Jim lived a Jimmy Buffett song.

Yup... I knew life was good but didn't know how good it was until I left that life and started down the road of corporate america.

Unfortunately, I've got too many responsibilities to go back. If I didn't, I'd do it in a heartbeat like the OP is doing.

Jim

Funny thing about Paradise... you tend to overlook tings like:
higher incidence of child abuse
lower quality medical care
rampant water pollution in the canals and bay
frequent and creative scam artists
domestic abuse and runaways...

But the diving is pretty good.

MB:
Funny thing about Paradise... you tend to overlook tings like:
higher incidence of child abuse
lower quality medical care
rampant water pollution in the canals and bay
frequent and creative scam artists
domestic abuse and runaways...

But the diving is pretty good.

My life back then was the very simple life of a biker/hippie. It probably went on back then, I just didn't know about it.

The memory tends to filter out the bad stuff and you only remember the good stuff. Like the schools of Hammerhead sharks I used to see at Looe key. I suppose they are gone too...

I guess I'm better off living in the past...

Jim

My life back then was the very simple life of a biker/hippie. It probably went on back then, I just didn't know about it.

The memory tends to filter out the bad stuff and you only remember the good stuff. Like the schools of Hammerhead sharks I used to see at Looe key. I suppose they are gone too...

I guess I'm better off living in the past...

Jim

Jim,

It's still good stuff and it's still paradise.....

Jim,

It's still good stuff and it's still paradise.....

Oh man.... Here I was.... thinking that I'm not missing anything and you've got to come up with that....

Maybe I'll get back down there at some point and see how it compares to my memories...

Jim

My 75 year old Father in law just left "No Name Key" after 22 years down there.
The electricity poles and hordes of Nouveau Riche Yankees chased him out.
Also,
He is losing all his long time friends down there.
And they are dead, dying, or starting to die.
He was the youngster when he retired down there from the fire department here in Broward.
I am seeing a lot of change for the better down there.
The Keys are not what they once were, they never were what they once were.
The place has always been in a flux of change.
It's cheap at times.
It's expensive, more often than not.
It is unique.
Druggies and drunks abound.
Both great and horrible service is standard there.
About 19 families own all of the commercial real estate for 100 miles.
Rents are high, unless one of these real estate owning locals like you, enjoy you, and want you around.
The Keys are in fact a series of VERY small towns that are very interconnected.
Its like a long skinny farming town as far as I am concerned.
I have built several projects down there.
Key Largo Municiple Center.
A Wastewater Treatment plant.
Key West High School.
Plantation Key CVS.
I would typically stay down there anywhere between an overnight to as long as three weeks at a time.
I personally start crawling the walls after about four or five days down there.
But from my home, I can be in Key Largo in about 100 minutes.
And I can be in Key West in about three hours and 15 minutes on a good day.
I see a lot of really cool stuff coming in to Islamorada and some other areas.
A lot of young investors are coming in.
Very nice restaurants.
Art galleries.
Breweries.
There is still a good quantity of the old side of the road tourista crap kitsche down there.
There are still a lot of T-shirt shops and dive shops everywhere.
But I believe that The Keys are going to turn into Bermuda within the next hundred years.
Very exclusive.
Very expensive.
Very upscale for the most part.
As the named storms come through, and blow all those aluminum trailers off the rocks, they're not going to be allowed to put them back.
Slowly everybody is being compelled to give up their septic systems.
And the water quality is improving.
More and more writers, artists, brewmasters, fine craftsmen/persons will make their way down there.
More and more people will be telecommuting as time goes on.
So the keys in my opinion, are changing.
But they have always been changing.
I started going down there when I was a kid about 1972.
If I had an inexhaustible supply of money I would definitely have a house down there.
However, I do not, will not, have an inexhaustible supply of money anytime soon.
But the good news for me, is that I do have friends who do have inexhaustible supplies of money and they have houses down there now.
And they have spent entirely too many years trying to figure out how to have an inexhaustible supply of money.
I on the other hand, have an inexhaustible supply of the ability to find lobster and fish.
So my friends invite me down there often.
The way to do well in The Keys is to just be a great person.
Be reliable.
Be punctual.
Be polite.
Be sober.
Be adaptive.
Network, network, Network!!!!
If you have any kind of a unique skill,
somebody in the keys wants you helping them.
And they will pay you for it.
And the Keys will will beat a path to your door for your services, ability, or camaraderie.

Chug
Off to see the lizard in the Hot Water of the Barometer Soup in Margaritaville atop the Volcano.
(But I don't wear flip flops....EVER!)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom